PDA

View Full Version : hands while climbing in standing position

yarg
05-25-2004, 06:39 AM
Every picture, well 98%, of pros shown while stand climbing have their index or index and middle finger around the front of the brifters, and the rest of their fingers under the hood. While I find it more comfortable and get more leverage by having my pinky behind the bar and my first three fingers under the hood. I know there must be some logical reason why they do it this way but I can't think of it. My position seems stronger, i.e. using index finger to pull up on hoods vs. pinky.

Take me to school please. Thanks.

keno
05-25-2004, 06:58 AM
with upper body technique while climbing out of the saddle. Rather than pulling same side hand I have been emphasizing pushing the opposite side hand against a downward pedal stroke. I had to go to this as a result of a problem with my right arm, but I'm liking the results. I find it easier to coordinate and much less strain. I have no way of knowing whether the resulting power is any different, but I do scream much less. BTW, I haven't a clue what the pros are up to, though.

Curious to see where this thread goes.

keno

Ray
05-25-2004, 07:20 AM
Asking a golfer this question is the kiss of death. You never think about it until someone asks, then you can't STOP thinking about it and you will never have a smooth swing again.

I have absolutely no idea what position my hands are in when I'm out of the saddle - they're either on the hoods or on the drops and beyond that I've never given it a second thought. I know when I feel smooth out of the saddle (most of the time) and when I don't (a sure sign of serious fatigue).

Now I'm destined to obsess about my hand position and my standing climbing will go straight into the dumper (not that it was anything to write home about before). Within weeks, the psychological pressure will be so intense I'll be forced to give up road cycling altogether and just mountain bike (where the hand positions are so much more limited).

I'm riding after work today - hopefully this will not be the beginning of the end of my cycling life.

-Ray

dirtdigger88
05-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Now the real burning question is can you stand up while riding no handed? :bike: This, young Grasshopper is the true measure of life

Jason

gt6267a
05-25-2004, 09:33 AM
dirtdigger -- stand up while riding no handed or ride no handed while standing up. i can do the latter but would feel rather uncomfortable trying the former.

dirtdigger88
05-25-2004, 09:37 AM
how about sit on your bars and ride your bike backwards :cool:

Jason

gt6267a
05-25-2004, 10:03 AM
back, back, way back in the day i had a PK Ripper. The Al racing dirt bike. I did some stupid, i mean trick, stuff on that thing. i definetly rode backwards, but never on the handlebars.

last year i rode the ms 150 city to shore down to ocean city, nj. there was a little skateboarding park near the beach. most of the kids were pretty timid, but there was one kid on a dirt bike doing some serious @#$. one trick, he stood the bike up on the back wheel with the front up in the air. he stood over the head tube and pedaled the bike. the both of them spun so quickly around i could not believe it. he then calmly got back on the bike and rode away without putting a foot down. it was awesome.

a friend of mine who used to do all sorts of tricks claimed it was the coolest thing he had ever seen on a bike.

dirtdigger88
05-25-2004, 11:59 AM
guy I had an SE Quad Angle. Those were flat land trick bikes before anyone called them that. anyway, yeah- sit on the bars facing backwards and padal away. I actually can do this for miles if I don't have traffic to deal with.

Jason

Kevan
05-25-2004, 12:03 PM
that you hook your hands to the backside of the guy's saddle in front of you.

That Sandy, he's a pro. :D