PDA

View Full Version : Paint choices for new Serotta--can't decide. Help!!

93legendti
02-26-2007, 09:03 AM
OK, I was set to get a Uniscasi--then a Fierte Ti fell in my lap and that will be sent to Bilenky for couplers. Then, I sold my '02 Ottrott and now my '05 Ottrott ST is on the market...so...the new bike will be an '07 Ottrott ST, sloping (my fit needs require a slope if I want to do away with all spacers and even if not, I have a '00 54 x 55 Rapid Tour and I prefer the snappy feel of a sloped TT).
Anyway, I was thinking about the harlequin carbon tint. Then, I saw Burnup's Ottrott with all carbon tubes painted white. Then, I saw the all white Mevici.

So, I am torn between all white; white on carbon only (fork and seat stays included); harlequin tint; white carbon and orange ti; orange carbon and white ti. (I had a great Creamsicle at the end of a century ride in 100 degrees heat 10 years ago and have loved orange and white ever since.)

And, a late comer is painted ti, with blue carbon tint.

Help, please. :) I have printed a ream of paper of bikes from the Image Gallery, with no end in site.

Kevan
02-26-2007, 09:15 AM
but one thing about carbon it doesn't do really well at staying perfectly painted. Paint chipping has always been a problem with carbon. Now it's possible over the past couple years the bonding of finish has improved and Serotta has it licked, don't know.

Anyway, my point is... if the paint is likely to chip, from tossed up stones and the like, then you're left with a pretty drastic contrast of white paint and black chip. Certainly you can touch up the chips though. I would plan on taping a stay protector to protect the surface from chain slap. don't be too surprised when replacing the tape down the road that chips will peel up with the tape's removal.

That's it from me.

jbrainin
02-26-2007, 11:08 AM
My Mei Vici has harlequin tinted tubes. The effect of the tinting is nearly impossible to discern in a photograph but is quite pleasing, and subtle, in person. I'm quite happy with the tinted finish. I recommend it.

sc53
02-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't paint the carbon; at the most do the harlequin tint of it.

93legendti
02-26-2007, 12:46 PM
I wouldn't paint the carbon; at the most do the harlequin tint of it.

Why? You painted the carbon on yours.
Anyway, after watching Star Wars movies all last week with my nephew, the white with black lettering/carbon cutouts seems to be the heavy favorite..Imperial Storm Trooper I will call it.

gt6267a
02-26-2007, 02:09 PM
My all time fav is an all white bike with black outline lettering.

That said, your creamsicle comment has me thinking. What about an all white bike with a 1-3 mm pinstripe on the inside of the tubes in orange? Top of the downtube, bottom of the top tube, both sides of seat tube connecting the stripes, top of chain stays, and bottom of seat stays. It would be subtle but maybe fun? That color combo could also work in reverse. Orange bike with cream inner pinstripe.

I pick the inside for the stripe because putting an orange stripe on the outside is a little flashy and bling for me.

93legendti
02-26-2007, 02:13 PM
My all time fav is an all white bike with black outline lettering.

That said, your creamsicle comment has me thinking. What about an all white bike with a 1-3 mm pinstripe on the inside of the tubes in orange? Top of the downtube, bottom of the top tube, both sides of seat tube connecting the stripes, top of chain stays, and bottom of seat stays. It would be subtle but maybe fun? That color combo could also work in reverse. Orange bike with cream inner pinstripe.

I pick the inside for the stripe because putting an orange stripe on the outside is a little flashy and bling for me.

Sounds interesting, but I am having a hard time picturing it...My LBS and I were just commenting how we both need to see a finish to get a feel how it will look, where as his partner can imagine it without a picture/photo.

gt6267a
02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Sounds interesting, but I am having a hard time picturing it...My LBS and I were just commenting how we both need to see a finish to get a feel how it will look, where as his partner can imagine it without a picture/photo.

I have a good feeling for what it looks like, but respect its hard to get from a description. Oh, one point to make, I said 1-3mm pinstripe, but really what I meant is that the pinstripe width should be proportional to the tube size. So, a thicker stripe on the down tube VS a much thinner stripe on the seat stay.

If I was decent in photoshop, I might give it a try. It would probably be pretty easy to do especially since flipping color combinations would be a snap! back in the day, i could probably pull it off in autocad or catia or something like that but it's been a long long long (hopefully you are getting the idea) long time.

cs124
02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
...Imperial Storm Trooper I will call it...

Very cool. :beer:
Need some BA all black all carbon wheels to go with it

93legendti
02-26-2007, 11:42 PM
My wife had me talked into orange painted carbon tubes and ti head tube and polished ti for the seat tube and chainstays. It's that or Simply White for all the carbon tubes and ti head tube and polished ti for the seat tube and chainstays.

pdxmech13
02-27-2007, 12:27 AM
All white with painted logos

pdxmech13
02-27-2007, 12:30 AM
scratch that.
all white with the carbon tubes masked so they are the decals
tinting cannot be un done and blue blockers are so 2002

93legendti
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
My wife had me talked into orange painted carbon tubes and ti head tube and polished ti for the seat tube and chainstays. It's that or Simply White for all the carbon tubes and ti head tube and polished ti for the seat tube and chainstays.

so it's the Imperial Storm Trooper:

#17 Simply White paint on all the carbon, fork included, AS WELL AS the ti headtube "lug" .

The seat tube and chainstays, will be polished ti.

On the down tube and seat stays, the decals are solid black.

On the seat tube and polished ti chain stays, the decals are white with black outline.

Or, the Creamsicle:

#4 Arancio on all the carbon, fork included, AS WELL AS the ti headtube "lug" .

The seat tube and chainstays, will be polished ti.

On the down tube and seat stays, the decals are are white with black outline.

On the seat tube and polished ti chain stays, the decals are ti with charcoal outline.

Any preferences? I love them both and which ever sceme I do not go with will probably be my next bike...a CDA in Rapid Tour Geometry.