PDA

View Full Version : Canandaigua Lake Ride February 25, 2007

tiger
02-25-2007, 03:45 PM
Global warming is apparently a regional phenomenon and has not yet hit the Upstate NY Finger Lakes! My buddies and I couldn't take another day on the trainer, here's some pics from our 42 mile ride around Canandaigua Lake today.

CNY rider
02-25-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm a few counties east of you (Otsego). We have about a 3 foot snowpack right now with soft powder on top. I've been having so much fun snowsoeing and cross country skiing that I have "forgotten" about my bikes. This afternoon I went down to the basement and did some prep work on the Legend for the spring (new DA crankset! Bling!). Don't forget to enjoy the snow while it lasts.

dauwhe
02-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Nice pictures! It feels good to ride alongside snowbanks and iceflows (as long as the roads aren't icy)!

I rode around the lake after the Ramble last summer. A most enjoyable day, with some great views (and hills)!

Dave (who's xc skied and biked both days this weekend)

stevep
02-25-2007, 04:27 PM
looks nice boys.
spring is around the corner.
nice cold clean air.
nothing wrong with that.

BumbleBeeDave
02-25-2007, 05:08 PM
. . . but please tell me that's not the cemetery at the top of Bopple! It's hard enough to imagine climbing it when the weather's NICE! :eek:

BBD

terry b
02-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Global warming is apparently a regional phenomenon and has not yet hit the Upstate NY Finger Lakes! My buddies and I couldn't take another day on the trainer, here's some pics from our 42 mile ride around Canandaigua Lake today.

I left Rochester for the last time in 1979 having lived there from birth. Every once in while I'm reminded why. A hearty "thanks" for the nice pictures and the dose of reality.

tiger
02-25-2007, 06:49 PM
Terry, for 5 months out of the year this is the prettiest place on Earth. The rest depend on your perspective...and in February my perspective is that New Mexico is looking pretty nice. :crap:

Bee, that is the graveyard at the top of Bopple Hill. Those are the graves of the cyclists that didn't make it up Bopple. No, we didn't do Bopple today. With all the sand and salt on the roads you wouldn't be able to get enough traction to stay upright. We always stop at Bopple to pay homage to the Gods of the Incline, though, in the hopes they'll be on our side when we are riding up. (Much worse than riding up Bopple is riding down Bopple. I did it once...never again).

hypnos
02-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Saturday was probably the best skiing I've ever experieced at Bristol Mountain. Sunny with a clear blue sky, upper twenties, great snow.

terry b
02-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Terry, for 5 months out of the year this is the prettiest place on Earth.

You won't get an argument from me on that. It was the other 7 months of hitching home from McQuaid and driving home from Kodak-Elmgrove that did me in. Rain-sleet-snow-bigsnow-reallybigsnow-sleet-rain, gack. Out here we get nailed 7 days a year which turns into 7 weeks of mud and then it's all over.

Bobbo
02-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Wish I could have gotten out Sunday. Saturday was absolutely brutal, at least in the AM. Did around 35 miles with some teammates out and around Bloomfield/Bristol. A lot of up and down on the fixie - I need fewer lb's and more gears......Probably the coldest ride ever for me - 12 deg. and really windy. I don't even want to think about what the windchill was. Rode with a nasty ice cream headache all the way back to the car. Think spring (but I'll settle for just some temperature moderation).

dbrk
02-25-2007, 11:51 PM
These guys are heroic...and nuts. But there's much good to be said for both. I love the bike but not enough to go out in this. Honestly, I just take winter off and while I miss it, I dislike the gym, the trainer, etc., way, way more than I dislike winter or even my lazy self. I _never_ ride the bike for exercise or to "train" (train for what exactly?), but only for fun (and if exercise happens, that's good too). Bristol Mountain's glow is outside our window (though I write this from San Jose Airport, some 3000ish miles from home tonight).

Congrats and good'on'ya' for being such dedicated cyclists. Better men than me.

dbrk

Ken Robb
02-26-2007, 12:09 AM
I didn't ride today because it was under 60F and windy-brrrrr. Maybe tomorrow?