PDA

View Full Version : OK - more Hors C. advice

Dekonick
05-24-2004, 07:53 PM
OK - need some more advice.

I will be getting the frame and fork in a couple of days. Its half polished, half azure with white/gold decals and a pearl white 02 fork -

I have: B-17 saddle
full Campy record and chorus mix 9 speed groupo - including BB, cranks, shifters, and brakes

I need: seat post, headset, handlebars, possibly spacers, (I wont know until the frame arrives if its a threaded fork or not; I think its 1 1/8 threaded 02) and a wheelset. What would you buy and from where? (seat post etc...)

Need to know: can I put a 9 speed casette on an 8 speed hub? (its veloce with open pro - 1997 veloce groupo)

where can I find 9 speed casette's online?

If you had to get a set of training wheels - what would you buy? (just for training - looking for strength and comfort - not weight savings)

also looking for a good place to get look comp. pedals (I have several but they wont look good with the new frame - I need silver, black, or yellow)

Looking more for comfort for the above; not weight savings. If I am gonna save weight its gonna come off of my fat arse... :butt:

Thanks! :beer:

Smiley
05-24-2004, 09:03 PM
answer to one question its a threadless steerer.

dcotcamp
05-25-2004, 03:33 AM
An answer to one of the other questions: a Campy 9 speed cassette will not fit on a Campy 8 speed hub.

good luck,
Dennis

Len J
05-25-2004, 06:54 AM
Get a good set of Open pro rims laced to Choras hubs.

For comfort and durability, have them made with 32 spokes.

Colorado Cyclist or Excel (Or better yet a local LBS wheel builder) can get you these for around $300.00.

Light, durable and very comfortable......and repairable easily anywhere.

Len

Dekonick
05-25-2004, 07:57 AM
Thanks again for the input. I have been out of the bike purchasing market for years (got married and the time/ $$ needed to go elsewhere)

I never had a reason to upgrade beyond 8 speed cuz it always worked for me - but with the new frame I decided it wouldnt be right to use really old components...so I wont. I might even go with a new 10 spd campy setup. Ill just have to figure a way to pay for it, but again I am sure Ill have this bike for a decade.

Anyone want to buy a Bianchi? <kidding>

Ken Robb
05-25-2004, 11:28 AM
don't want to start a feud but I have, among other equipment, Chorus 10 spd and Ultegra 9spd. They both work great. Shimano is cheaper to buy and the cassettes and chains are also cheaper. A 1 1/8" threaded steerer is pretty rare so I don't know what totell you there. If it turns out to be 1' I really like the Nitto Technomic DeLuxe stems. They are beautiful and have a obut 30mm more length so you can get your bars up higher if you need to some day. As already suggested above, 32 hole Open Pros on decent hubs are my favorites and I have/do have Spinergy SR-3, VeloMax Orions, Rolf Vector Pros, Mavic Heliums.

Ken Robb
05-25-2004, 12:30 PM
one more thing: Brooks saddles can't be set as far back on a given seat post as most other saddles so you will very likely need a seat post with setback. In other words a standard Thomson Elite may not be a good choice for example. Nitto makes good ones as do many others.

shaq-d
05-25-2004, 01:27 PM
branfordbike.com has tons of information on how to upgrade your 8-spd record to a 9-spd or to a 10-spd. it's possible and its' been done. i believe you can also send your equipment to them, and they will do it for you.

that aside, you can get 8-spd cassettes brand new, excelsports.com has'm for around $35. i'd say keep those classy 8-spd record campy's..

sd

Dekonick
05-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Good advice. I am already noticed that my B-17 doesnt sit as far back as I would like (on my present bike) but even with it throwing my typical setup off by 1-2cm, its still MUCH more comfy. Think Ill need to get a seatpost with a setback like yall suggested.

Ill look into changing the record to a 10 spd, but then again - 9 is fine with me. (I just ride for my own pleasure, dont race, and really dont care what others on the road think of how I look when I am out biking - even though I DO like a nice looking bike to show off in the house!)

I wasnt sure if you could use the old 8spd hubs with 9, but am not suprised you cant. I was just hoping that I would be able to use the same BB and wheels from my training/ rain bike (bianchi veloce with a TON of frame saver hehe) with the 9spd chorus/record setup I am gonna put on the new Hors. (would be nice to use the same wheelset(s) on the trainer and the new bike...etc)

Hehe -this bike keeps getting more and more expensive! -

vaxn8r
05-25-2004, 03:21 PM
Thomson Elite comes with and without setback.

Ken Robb
05-25-2004, 04:01 PM
yeah--sort of--the setback model has a bent shaft that is ugly in my opinion plus, because of the bend, you may not be able to get it as low as you need for proper sadle height.