PDA

View Full Version : Identifying an F1

IXXI
12-23-2003, 01:51 AM
I recently found an NOS Atlanta frameset that I'm in the process of slowly building (an 'alternative' to my beloved Legend Ti)-- it's circa 2000, I believe, with a gorgeous pinot noir paintjob with black and gold decals. Very rich looking. (Pics to hit the gallery once its done.)

The fork is painted to match, and definitely carbon, uncut 1" steerer, threadless. It has no decals other than an 'S' on each shoulder.

Is there a quick way to tell if this is an F1 fork? There is no logo on the dropouts.

Smiley
12-23-2003, 01:57 AM
If Ti without lawyers tabs then its an F1, If Aluminum then its a rebadged OCLV fork with the tabs. It could also be a Kestrel fork too but the tabs would be there too.

Smiley
12-23-2003, 02:13 AM
stand for Andy ? Your stem has been shipped today FYI .

IXXI
12-23-2003, 02:14 AM
yep-- it looked like a kestrel to me shapewise, and it does have tabs-- small tabs, but it does have em. never having experienced an f1 in person, thought i'd ask.

thanks smiley. (you mailed the stem right? :)

IXXI
12-23-2003, 02:17 AM
smiley, your response got up as i was typing.

first, thanks for shipping the stem.

nos-- is 'New Old Stock'-- unused, unmolested stuff. i know its used heavily in car forums (older cars, where "new" parts are scarce.)

sorry bout the santa face (i didn't mean to put that in!)

Smiley
12-23-2003, 02:22 AM
it was probably built with Reynolds 525 versus the original 531 tubeset. The newer Atlanta's were a bit more lively then the old ones because of this change. I know that was a big difference between it the Atlanta and the CSI when the Atlanta came on the scene. It was a nice bike being sold for under $1100 frame only hence the reason for the many choices in fork up-grades. Try buying a new steel fork for that machine.

IXXI
12-23-2003, 12:21 PM
smiley, thanks for the insights on the atlanta. i love my legend so much--and with this forum, have become a big fan of all things serotta--the company, the man, and the bikes. i have to admit, i bought the atlanta without knowing much about that particular bike at all--I know its not the sexiest one over produced, but i loved the way it looked, wonderful lugs and all. Now we'll see how it rides in the spring (if and when I'm not on the legend.) I'm sure I'll love it too--in a whole dif't way than my legend.