PDA

View Full Version : CDA with or without the carbon seat stay

JimmyO
02-25-2007, 07:48 AM
I need some help from the experts with regards to my CDA I am going to order in a couple of weeks. I have never ridden a bike with carbon seat stays. I have a 04 Legend TI without which I love. Does having the carbon seat stays enhance the ride or does it take away from the steel road feel?

As always your input is greatly appreciated. Have a great week!

Thanks,

Jimmy O

dirtdigger88
02-25-2007, 07:56 AM
with or without- its up to you

do you like them- do you hate them----

personally- I would skip them- but you will have answers both ways- you are not going to end up with a better or worse bike either way

jason

Smiley
02-25-2007, 08:04 AM
I opted for both my CDA and my wife's CDA without Carbone. I chose my CDA in a Rapid Tour geometry which required pannier and fender mounts and spacing for wider tires hence NO Carbone Stays. For my wife's CDA we chose the traditional look of STEEL cause it's real if you get my gist.

Great bike no matter which way you chose :banana:

Steelhead
02-25-2007, 09:22 AM
My new CDA will arrive with the carbon stay - and I'm having it painted to match the frame so it should blend in much more naturally. I like the carbon stay now that they have the slight bend to them, if it was still the straight colombus stays they were using on the older models I might have gone all steel rear. I'm anxious to try mine out with carbon fork and carbon h-bar.

Big Dan
02-25-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm with DD and the Captain, all steel baby..........

:)

woolly
02-25-2007, 09:31 AM
Without.

Blastinbob
02-25-2007, 09:32 AM
I'm with DD and the Captain, all steel baby..........

:)
+2

Serpico
02-25-2007, 09:52 AM
well the front end will be carbon, so what's the difference. I actually prefer a frame made out of one material (yes, I understand this is a bit naive as framebuilders utilize multiple tubesets/types even though a frame is "steel"), but if you could quantify it I think you'd have a great ride either way.

possibly you could ask why a carbon rear end is even an option? I think that's a better question. will non-carbon frames utilize carbon rear ends in the future?

djg
02-25-2007, 01:51 PM
I guess my inclination would be to go straight steel, but really, why not just talk to Serotta (KB) about what you want and what plusses or minuses (if any) you might get out of going one way or the other.

It seems to me that a generic plug-in carbon rear adds no value, but that a well designed carbon rear triangle (well designed for the bike, that is) can work great, whether it's attached to more CF or metal. I've been real happy with my Nag hybrid for five years now. I doubt Serotta would let you down in this regard.

Sandy
02-25-2007, 02:36 PM
+2

I think that I asked you about your avatar before. I know that I have a poor memory about lots of things. But I'll ask (probably again). Is that a boxer? A bull mastiff? Kevan? There is a Cane Corso at the Humane Society that I volunteer at. Probably the first one that I have actually seen. Its head looks like your avatar too.

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy

Sandy
02-25-2007, 02:45 PM
If I were to buy a new bike now, my considerations would be a steel Kirk, steel or titanium Kellogg, or steel Serotta. I would get the Serotta because of how nicely I have been treated by Serotta, both the company and the person. It would be the all steel CDA.

Steel Serotta Sandy

Serotta PETE
02-25-2007, 04:37 PM
I have not been able to tell a difference in ride between the two. (but then I love Mavic Krysium rims also.) Smiley even likes the MAVIC K more...HE says he gets a real "road feel" with them!!! :no: :no:
Go with whichever you like, I know folks who have the carbon and others who have the steel. (THEY BOTH LOVE THEIR BIKE and THE RIDE!!!!)

pdxmech13
02-25-2007, 11:00 PM
"stays" are forks too, no !

Serotta PETE
02-26-2007, 08:40 AM
"stays" are forks too, no !

Forks are Carbon (choice of F3 or Reynolds would be my preference). F3 if the budget will allow.

I guess you can get a steel BUT I am going to stay out of that discussion (or at least try my best to)

victoryfactory
02-26-2007, 08:46 AM
If you want stiff, go with short chainstays and carbon seatstays.
Plus you get some "wow" factor

If you want smooth, Go with steel and longer chainstays.
Plus you get some "retro" factor

The over all weight will be about the same.

VF

Archibald
02-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Carbon stays on a steel bike are ghey.

Steel stays on a carbon bike, now that would be cool!

sg8357
02-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Carbon stays on a steel bike are ghey.

Steel stays on a carbon bike, now that would be cool!

Issac builds a carbon bike with aluminum seat stays, claims better ride quality.
As for the CDA, steel stays, steel fork and have Serotta skinny out the tubes.

Scott G.

Steelhead
02-26-2007, 10:29 AM
C'Dale Six13s are carbon front/alum rear.

Archibald
02-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Issac builds a carbon bike with aluminum seat stays, claims better ride quality.
That's what I love about the bike industry! I could build a bike out of bat guano and claim it gives a better ride quality while increasing stiffness and efficiency in the drivetrain.

allez1952
02-26-2007, 11:33 AM
on my serotta cda I opted for all steel except the front fork which i went with an Easton fork.
Even though both builds are outstanding wheather with carbon or steel my thinking went with possible crashes and the asethetics of all steel rear tringle, and continous smoothness of one piece material. It just looks nicer.
A weight difference would be minimal if that is one of your considerations and being a rider of steel bikes for 28 years I believe it is just a marketing tool for the craze of carbon enchancement on bikes.

Larry
02-26-2007, 02:17 PM
I guess my inclination would be to go straight steel, but really, why not just talk to Serotta (KB) about what you want and what plusses or minuses (if any) you might get out of going one way or the other.

It seems to me that a generic plug-in carbon rear adds no value, but that a well designed carbon rear triangle (well designed for the bike, that is) can work great, whether it's attached to more CF or metal. I've been real happy with my Nag hybrid for five years now. I doubt Serotta would let you down in this regard.

Hey there djg,

Serotta does not use or build generic anything. Even on the less expensive
frames, the quality is top notch with the very best materials available.

From my angle.......the carbon stays will match the new finish 2007 Ouzo Pro fork perfectly. Hey.....a good looker does matter! I think it gives the bike a balanced look (front and rear.) It does get your attention.

I tend to believe that a bit of extra care is needed for the carbon stay.
If you have a bad crash, either carbon or steel will bend or crunch.
Carbon stays will likely be easier to repair than steel. Just hope it is the bike and not your tailbone that cruches!!

Larry