PDA

View Full Version : Cruise ship forums

CNY rider
02-25-2007, 06:45 AM
I must admit that the Serotta Forums are the only ones I routinely lurk and post on. Who knew that there were other boards full of fanatics, carrying on all day long like we do about our bicycles?

NY Times article on cruise ship message boards (http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/travel/25online.html?8dpc)

Snipped: Basically, the sites are glorified message boards. On any given day, a site might have hundreds of topics on a variety of subjects. In general, discussions range from the mundane (“Can I get pizza on board?”) to the practical (“For a formal night, does my husband need a tuxedo?”) and the absurd (“If I’m naked on my private balcony, can anyone see me?”).

What dorks! I mean we can reach thousands of posts on Shimano vs. Campy.
And then this gem:

Carnival Connections and other sites also have become great spots for passengers to organize group activities at sea. In most cases, this activity is dubbed Roll Call, and takes place on message boards where passengers with plans to sail on the same voyage can arrange to meet.

Nobody understands the power of Roll Call better than Emmy Schaffer, who lives in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. After booking passage on the inaugural sailing of Royal Caribbean’s Freedom of the Seas, Ms. Schaffer made seven friends on the Cruise Critic forum. The group decided to all wear pink feather boas on board.

The women met for the first time at sea, and hit it off. Today, the friends call themselves the Pink Boa Society, and have their own Web site.

Membership in the group has swelled to more than 80, and now includes men, who are encouraged to wear pink cummerbunds and bow ties.

“I spot a boa,” Ms. Schaffer said, “and I know immediately that person is like family.”

Feather boas at the next Open House in June! :banana:

JohnS
02-25-2007, 07:29 AM
My wife and I are planning an NCL Alaskan cruise this May. We picked it because it doesn't have all that pretentious "dress-up" BS.