PDA

View Full Version : Changing Saddles

Oaklandhills
05-24-2004, 05:31 PM
What is the best way to measure the distances when changing a saddle to a saddle that is a different length? I am fine with the positioning of the current saddle but it is roughly an inch shorter (I know - no serious biker measures in inches). Is there a rule of thumb that should be used or just trial and error?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dude
05-25-2004, 08:06 AM
I just switched saddles. Fortunately, I switched ones that were teh same size so just marked the rails on the old one (in case I want to put it back on again), measured the seat height from the center of BB and then nose of the saddle to center of handlebar.

One of the saddles' sit area was more towards the rear of the saddle so I compensated for that and moved it forward a cm or so. It feels great!! hope that helps.

dirtdigger88
05-25-2004, 08:35 AM
I would think to start with a plumb and measure your knee position over the spindle. Then match the same position with the new saddle. I bet muscle memory will take over from there.

Jason

Ahneida Ride
05-25-2004, 10:57 AM
In my case, I adjusted my new Brooks to the old saddle hight.

It then took another 150 miles of tweaking to get it just right.

For example, I raised the saddle incrementally and carried an allen wrench to
adjust the seat angle every 5 miles or so. Eventually one finds the
sweet spot. Every one is unique. These adjustments take time.

gt6267a
05-25-2004, 11:15 AM
My hairbrained scheme :

I made a number of measurements:

1. I estimated where I sit on the saddle and measured that distance to the handlebars.

2. dropped a plumb line from the tip for the saddle and marked the position on my TT with tape.

3. measured the overall length of the saddle.

4. measured the exact distance from the center of the pedal spindle to the top of the saddle along the ST.

with the new saddle on the bike, i got the angle about right and then:

i put the height right based upon measurement #4.

i put the setback right based upon #1

i double checked the drop from the front of the saddle with an adjustment for the length of the saddle.

it turns out that i the tires i bought from the store were 650 instead of 700c. the fitter double checked me on the bike by dropping a plumb line. it wad dead on.

-k

Kevan
06-17-2004, 01:48 PM
By Sal Ruibal, USA TODAY
Father's Day is coming up and with it the annual debate about what to give the guy who has given you everything.
Ties, hankies and cologne don't cut it with on-the-go dads who would rather spend their time in the outdoors than in the den. And when it comes to the pater familias, a bit of extravagance is the order of the day for June 20.

Here's a selection of outdoor gifts large and small that are sure to be appreciated by the Big Guy:

• Fizik Aliante bicycle saddle. The $220 Aliante is the best bike saddle we've tested in the last decade and demonstrates convincingly that — at only 5.6 ounces — mass doesn't equal comfort for tender tushes. The Aliante is a favorite of pro riders who put in tens of thousands of miles on their machines, but weekend riders also will appreciate the understated design that delivers support where needed without mounds of gel or heavy springs. And if you really want to impress Dad, the Aliante also can be custom-ordered in python for about $489 (www.fizik.it).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2004-06-14-outdoor-fathers_x.htm

Sandy
06-17-2004, 02:28 PM
I am willing to adopt you for the weekend so that you will be able to buy me one or more fancy dancy super Serotta expensive bicycle items. Then later in the week, we can continue with our marriage plans. That will make you both my son and my wife, somewhat unique, I think, in this society.

:) Seeking Son Soon :)
:) Seeking Second Spouse Soon :)

:) So Satisfied STill Serotta Sandy :)

Sandy
06-17-2004, 02:30 PM
Am I crazy?
Are you crazy?
Are we both crazy?

Crazy

Sandy
06-17-2004, 02:31 PM

Kevan
06-17-2004, 03:53 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bike:

csb
06-17-2004, 04:24 PM
i've set a 'road-block security alarm device',
made up of MANY brooks saddles tied together
wedding can style, so as to trip mr sandy if he
tries crossing over the tri-state border. i tried
regal saddles but some bloke on a red bike kept
picking 'em up and riding off with 'em.

csb
06-17-2004, 04:33 PM
have someone you want to love paint 2 Xs on your
shorts back side (on your sit bones), quickly sit on regular set-up
(with older saddle) lift self off without sliding,
leaving behind 2 measurable spots. be sure to
measure from stem, handlebars...now change
saddles, refresh paint on ass, sit on newer saddle,
leave residue, get off bike, adj. new saddle til
coordinates match old previous taken #s,
wash shorts.

let us know how it goes, a photo essay would be nice.

Sam in VA
06-17-2004, 09:42 PM
I normally put the old saddle on top of the new saddle and, viewing from above, match the contours of the saddle where they curve inwards. I then note the difference in nose lengths and use this difference to duplicate the setback and reach of the old/other saddle. This feels like it works for similarly shaped saddles (e.g. new turbo matic vs old turbo), but I haven't checked KOPA or anything to verify it.

Kevan
06-18-2004, 06:57 AM
that Sandy installs his saddle on backwards. He seems to prefer the discomfort. :p