PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ebay buyer with 0 feedback

Dekonick
02-23-2007, 06:56 PM
I have an EBAY auction going - one potential buyer keeps trumping everyone else - it would be great but he has 0 feedback, and has been a member for 3 years. If you were me would you ban him from bidding?

My auction ends soon so any advice is welsome.

AgilisMerlin
02-23-2007, 06:59 PM
yes.

amerlin

DRZRM
02-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Everyone has to buy their first item sometime, why don't you send a note and try to get a sense of whether s/he is legit. If not, you can always make a second chance offer to the next low bidder.

AgilisMerlin
02-23-2007, 07:01 PM
if he wins and it turns sour, then block him on relisting.

i only do paypal. you can corner him that way.

three years without history is shaky

google his ebay name, see what you get.

amerliN

Kevan
02-23-2007, 07:15 PM
give the guy a chance and communicate with him. I had my ebay account for near 2 years before I did anything with it.

Louis
02-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I think I have a Zero e-bay rating, and I too have been an E-bay member for a few years. My very first purchase went sour (fork steerer tube was shorter than what seller said it was) so I slammed him and he slammed me back. I was -1 for a long time, then I bought some bar tape, so now I'm 0. It can happen to a perfectly honest person. (Whether I'm a "perfectly honest person" is, I suppose, up to debate.)

Give the guy a chance. Trust, but verify.

Louis

Dekonick
02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I googled him and the one auction that came up was for a similar product - he lost. Ill give him a chance.

:)

Serpico
02-23-2007, 07:42 PM

Give the guy a chance. Trust, but verify.

love the cold war rhetoric Louis, but you should've known eBay feedback is mutually assured destruction™--you zing them, they'll zing you--even if you don't deserve it.

when I purchase something that doesn't meet its description I leave /no/ feedback. also, when any company emails me and asks for positive feedback I never give feedback to them, it's too pushy.

when I sell items I give immediate positive feedback for instant payment. companies that wait to give good feedback are squirrely imho.

things like decorum and etiquette go out the window when people are anonymous. I don't know if obnoxious people act worse behind the wheel of a car (anyone else commute?) or on eBay.

through almost 30 transactions (I'm an eBay "newb", even though I've had it 2-3 years) I've maintained 100% feedback--BUT I would've given negative feedback 5+ times if I knew I wouldn't suffer any blowback.

AgilisMerlin
02-24-2007, 07:54 AM
DekoNick,

Who won the auction ?

amerliN

barry1021
02-24-2007, 09:06 AM
love the cold war rhetoric Louis, but you should've known eBay feedback is mutually assured destruction™--you zing them, they'll zing you--even if you don't deserve it.

when I purchase something that doesn't meet its description I leave /no/ feedback. also, when any company emails me and asks for positive feedback I never give feedback to them, it's too pushy.

when I sell items I give immediate positive feedback for instant payment. companies that wait to give good feedback are squirrely imho.

things like decorum and etiquette go out the window when people are anonymous. I don't know if obnoxious people act worse behind the wheel of a car (anyone else commute?) or on eBay.

through almost 30 transactions (I'm an eBay "newb", even though I've had it 2-3 years) I've maintained 100% feedback--BUT I would've given negative feedback 5+ times if I knew I wouldn't suffer any blowback.

Too pushy?? What's wrong with asking for feedback for a good transaction? If people would remember to give feedback for good transactions, the good sellers (like me) would build up feedback more quickly.

I also don't give feedback on a sale until the buyer receives and is satisfied. I state this as my policy up front. A lot of companies do that, nothing squirrely about it. I have 400 unique transactions, but I bet I have had 100 more at least that were good and never got the feedback, even tho I put it in. I have no problem reminding happy buyers or sellers.

b21

Polyglot
02-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Too pushy?? What's wrong with asking for feedback for a good transaction? If people would remember to give feedback for good transactions, the good sellers (like me) would build up feedback more quickly.

I also don't give feedback on a sale until the buyer receives and is satisfied. I state this as my policy up front. A lot of companies do that, nothing squirrely about it. I have 400 unique transactions, but I bet I have had 100 more at least that were good and never got the feedback, even tho I put it in. I have no problem reminding happy buyers or sellers.

b21

I have over 600 transactions on ebay with 100% positive feedback. As a seller, I always leave feedback as soon as I get paid. My logic in doing this is that the buyer has fulfilled all their obligations at the time of payment. I avoid any seller not willing to do so, as it puts the buyer in a situation where they can be bullied by a possible tit for tat feedback. My record shows that there is no need to wait before leaving feedback if you are on the level.

As far as people not leaving feedback, that is their prerogative. On the feedback page, you can also see exactly how many feedbacks have been left by the member.

fogrider
02-24-2007, 09:21 PM
yeah, the seller should post feedback upon payment. if the buyer is not satisfied, it is the seller that has not fullfilled their obigations.

RPS
02-25-2007, 09:43 AM
.I avoid any seller not willing to do so, as it puts the buyer in a situation where they can be bullied by a possible tit for tat feedback. If E-Bay was really serious about honest and comprehensive feedback, why haven’t they eliminated the potential for the tit-for-tat rating you guys mention above?

It would be easy enough to do, so is it because a little too much honesty in ratings would hurt their business?

Dekonick
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
DekoNick,

Who won the auction ?

amerliN

The zero feedback character didn't.

It worked out well IMHO.

Sandy
02-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Hope that your family is healthy and happy. Biscuit to Truckie for me.

Sandy

djg21
02-25-2007, 05:11 PM
yeah, the seller should post feedback upon payment. if the buyer is not satisfied, it is the seller that has not fullfilled their obigations.

I disagree with you.

My worst experience with Ebay resulted after I sold a brand new bottom bracket, in its sealed shimano box. After receiving the BB, the buyer claimed that he had brought it to his LBS to be installed, and that the shop had infomed him that the BB was "pitted." The BB that was subsequently sent back to me clearly was not the unused BB that I had sold.

Since that transaction, my practice has been to wait to leave feedback until the purchaser makes clear that he/she is completely happy with the transaction and leaves positive feedback for me. If there is a problem with the transaction, I wait to leave feedback until the problem has been fully resolved to the satisfaction of the buyer, and the buyer leaves me feedback. As far as I'm concerned, payment is just one part of the transaction.

barry1021
02-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I disagree with you.

My worst experience with Ebay resulted after I sold a brand new bottom bracket, in its sealed shimano box. After receiving the BB, the buyer claimed that he had brought it to his LBS to be installed, and that the shop had infomed him that the BB was "pitted." The BB that was subsequently sent back to me clearly was not the unused BB that I had sold.

Since that transaction, my practice has been to wait to leave feedback until the purchaser makes clear that he/she is completely happy with the transaction and leaves positive feedback for me. If there is a problem with the transaction, I wait to leave feedback until the problem has been fully resolved to the satisfaction of the buyer, and the buyer leaves me feedback. As far as I'm concerned, payment is just one part of the transaction.

The idea that the seller has not fulfilled his obligation made if there is a problem once payment is received is simply not true. There can be shipping problems, misunderstanding of the product by the buyer, or unfortunately in your case, fraud. Each to their own, but I would never put in in feedback until the item is received, and the buyer is satisfied. I guess both ways work; I have the same number of transactions as Polyglot with 100% perfect feedback. I certainly don't consider a seller who does not put in feedback immediately as one to be avoided, I view him as logical.

b21

djg21
02-26-2007, 04:51 PM
The idea that the seller has not fulfilled his obligation made if there is a problem once payment is received is simply not true. There can be shipping problems, misunderstanding of the product by the buyer, or unfortunately in your case, fraud. Each to their own, but I would never put in in feedback until the item is received, and the buyer is satisfied. I guess both ways work; I have the same number of transactions as Polyglot with 100% perfect feedback. I certainly don't consider a seller who does not put in feedback immediately as one to be avoided, I view him as logical.

b21

I think that we agree entirely.

Jeff N.
02-27-2007, 08:27 AM
I disagree with you.

Since that transaction, my practice has been to wait to leave feedback until the purchaser makes clear that he/she is completely happy with the transaction and leaves positive feedback for me. If there is a problem with the transaction, I wait to leave feedback until the problem has been fully resolved to the satisfaction of the buyer, and the buyer leaves me feedback. As far as I'm concerned, payment is just one part of the transaction.Agreed. Jeff N.