PDA

View Full Version : Fatty Fat Tubulars - What to get?

billrick
02-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Can anyone recommend some fatty tubular tires for a novice that will likely run them on rough/dirt roads? I really want some Dugast tires someday, but this will be my first set of tubular wheels so I think I'll start with something less pricey. This is the list of candidates so far:

Dugast Paris Roubaix 700x25 and 27 (someday!)
Conti GP 400 700x25
Conti Competition 700x25
Veloflex Roubaix 700x24
Tufo Elite Ride 700x25

Any other thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: I just searched the forum and found that this has been discussed recently (sort of). To narrow the question, which tire for a tubular novice?

:)

Too Tall
02-23-2007, 04:39 PM
No such thing as a tubular for a novice. Buy the best you can afford and go for it you'll be the better for it and GLAD to answer any questions.

If a 25mm tyre is good enough you'd be well covered in a Conti. Competition 25 Vectran. Call World Class Cycles and see if the can be had.

If you want to ride rough stuff and some trails and can fit a 32 than I really like the value and all around utility of the TUFO D28...tough as heck and runs pretty well on pavement...nice price.

How's that for a start?

ChrisBurkhardt
02-23-2007, 11:31 PM
I've been riding a pair of Tufo Elite Ride 700x25 tubular clinchers since December. Really nice ride. Tough tire too. In addition to our crappy chip seal roads and dirt roads, I've been abusing them on my rollers. So far they're showing little wear.

Ride and handling are very good. I'm cornering around 30mph on them. Haven't ridden them in the rain yet, but the did ok in some snow last month.

Chris

billrick
02-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the info, y'all. I also had a PM with interesting comments on the Dugasts - that they are not perfectly round like factory-made tires and that out of 4 tires, two of them had hops bad enough to feel when riding. That may kill my buzz for the expensive Dugasts!

Right now the Tufo D30 Diamond tread is the lead contender and the Tufo Elite is my back up. Great price on that D30 and seems to be perfect for my needs. This will be on my Hampsten SBti with long reach calipers, so I might as well go big!

Too Tall - thanks for the offer of assistance on the tubulars, I'm sure I'll need it. My last experience with tubulars was 20 years ago - I left a huge mess of glue in my folks' driveway, glue on my clothes, glue in my hair. I gave up and traded them back to the shop for clinchers. I've finally got my nerve back up to try again.

djg
02-24-2007, 02:34 PM
TT will steer you right (and just might mount the tires for you--he's on a crusade).

I've taken road tires on hardpack or dirt roads for a mile or so here or there, and it's fine for a bit, but it's not great--even a 24 or 25 might be a little less rubber than you'd like if you're really spending a lot of time off pavement. If you have room to fit a cross tire, that's where I'd look. Remember to pre-stretch the tires (especially tufo, which can be a bear going on).

While we're on the topic, does anybody have any experience with the Vittoria cross tires (the tubulars)? I can get some at a very good price and was thinking of trying them.

fogrider
02-24-2007, 09:55 PM
I have a set of tufo cross tires, they are great in that they are super light for a 32cm tire. but they are built like a heavy duty inner tube with tread. I hit a sharp rock and blew a tire at 25 mph. they are not as tough as one would hope for a cx tire. I still use them on my front tire.

Too Tall
02-24-2007, 10:20 PM
Tru dat!!! I think it's a solid 4 yrs. now that I've been almost entirely on tubulars :) Kewl.

billrick
02-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Awesome, TT. I don't know when the tubular wheels will be here, but you will be my 911. I'm still waiting for my Phil Wood clincher set to arrive, which I had planned as the primary rough stuff wheelset.

Just to get more fatty fat info out there, I just read a reference to 27mm Contis that are in the works. Any more info on those?