PDA

View Full Version : Petacchi Versus Sandy In A Sprint?

Sandy
05-24-2004, 04:33 PM
I know that I am old, slow, and overweight, but I, unlike Patacchi, ride a Serotta. Not only that, I ride a Serotta Ottrott, and an Ottrott ST at that. In addition. unlike Patacchi, I was fit by the master of fit, Smiley.

With the above obvious advantages I have, do you think I should train and challenge Petacchi to a race with a sprint finish? Please be honest in your reply. Thanks!!!

Supersonic Sprinter Supersonic Speedy Serotta Sandy

weisan
05-24-2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah...I always wonder about that. So, what really set Petacchi apart from the rest of the field. I mean, you have a bunch of guys who are pretty much at the pinnacle of their craft, all pushing towards the finish line as if their lives depend on it, and yet without fail, the Italian maestro delivers. Eight stage wins in the Giro so far, that's crazy talk!

Now, before you start blurping out reasons like "He is simply too fast for them."...I already knew that. What I need is a careful study of what makes the perfect sprint, and a slow-motion interpretation of his every moves that tell a story. Can anyone please enlighten me? Senor Jerk? Anybody?

Much appreciated.
weisan

BumbleBeeDave
05-24-2004, 08:49 PM
Do you really want to embarrass him so badly by beating him when he is enjoying the best couple of weeks of his life?

BBDave

zap
05-25-2004, 11:11 AM
HP & Tactics. Oh, and more HP. I'd like to see how Petacchi would compete here in the US against more guys his size.

Sandy can probably crank out more peak watts than Simoni. At least for a second :D

Go for it.

:beer:

weisan
05-25-2004, 01:03 PM
zap, I'm sorry, what's "HP"?

thanks,
weisan

Sandy
05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Horsepower? What amazes me is that during the last several hundred meters in the race, it seems like organized chaos, with pushing (at the end) and teams struggling to establish their position for the final sprint. Petacchi seems to ride with great confidence in both his own power and the ability for his team to place him precisely where he needs to be. His team seems to just about always do it right and Petacchi seems to simply have a little more power than the rest to finish off the job. Look up at the end and there he is, perfectly positioned to use that little extra power to finish ahead.

Zap, I couldn't beat Petacchi with my M3 in a sprint unless I was allowed to run over him and a few others, or a lot of others, well before the final sprint.

Supersonic Smashing Spinner Serotta Sandy

bcm119
05-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Sandy, I think it would be close, but Petacchi would prevail because:
1) His special Pinarello Dogma seatstays are shaped to deliver more power per pedal stroke. Your bike, while nice, is designed more as a compromise of speed and comfort.
2) I believe Petacchi uses a special race-day lubricant in his hubs that is thinner and causes less energy loss.
3) Do you have a 14 cm stem? If not, that is another reason he would nudge you out at the line.
4) I don't know if you have an integrated headset or not, but I wouldn't challenge him without one.

Just some points to consider,

zap
05-25-2004, 02:46 PM
bcm119 don't forget that 15cm handlebar drop.

But Sandy, you're right. It does look pretty impressive.

Kevan
05-25-2004, 02:47 PM
that your orginal question is based on the fact that you're still considering climbing over the barricades and trying to join race for the last kilometer? :D

Serotta PETE
05-25-2004, 02:56 PM
Sandy, can I adopt your Ottrott ST?? I do not have one and would love take care of it for you. I have a Raleigh 3 speed to loan you, while I am nuturing yours>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sandy
05-25-2004, 06:37 PM
I tried last year to climb over the barricades to get to see a race without paying. The barricades must have been 2.5 feet tall. I couldn't make it. This time, I am going to walk around the barrier and mount my motor bike and wait for Mr. Pettachi, if he is brave enough to show up, or should I say, if I see him as he flys on by.

So Scared So Slow Sandy

Sandy
05-25-2004, 06:43 PM
If you promise to adopt Kevan also, you can have the Ottrott, the CSi, one or two of my castles, and just about anything else you want. All, except Kevan, come with a statisfaction guarantee.

Sandy

BumbleBeeDave
05-25-2004, 08:09 PM
. . . is “forget” to bathe for a week before the race and NO ONE, least of all Mr. Petacchi, will dare follow his wheel.

Hey, it worked for him in DC last month . . . ask anyone (Cough! Gag! Ack!) Who was there! :rolleyes:

BBDave

Too Tall
05-26-2004, 06:43 AM
I was out doing sprints last night and was in a 53X15 ramping up at about 26...just when I was at full on eyeball popping effort this guy comes flying by yelling "Don't be afraid of freedom". Guess who?

Yeah. Bambi....the Snarling Scourge of the South...SNANDY!!!

B@#$rd, I'll have my revenge.