PDA

View Full Version : Do evertying frame?

kbone
02-23-2007, 11:48 AM
I am looking to purchase a new frame and I was hoping for some input for you kind folks.

I want a frame that isn't too expensive but will be good for multiple uses including; centuries, light touring, towing the kid around in a trailer, trail riding and maybe even a cross race (just to play around). Oh, and, I want to run it single speed or geared depending on my mood. Is there such a frame out there?

All input is appreciated.

Kevin

stevep
02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
you need 10 bikes for all that...
or maybe 1 cross bike.

coylifut
02-23-2007, 12:07 PM
sounds like a job for a Gunnar Crosshairs.

Kevan
02-23-2007, 12:07 PM
unless you're willing to forego a fixie by just not switching gears....

For an all-arounder:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26352&highlight=Bleriot

For the fixie-beater:

www.ebay.com

Buy a beater.

kbone
02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
I thought I might be asking too much out of one bike. That said, the wife is won't let me have 10 different bikes so I am looking for that one do everyting.

What about a Kogeswell? Can it handle cross - nothing serious just for fun ya know?

mflaherty37
02-23-2007, 12:22 PM
I think just anything steel with tire clearance will work. You will need long reach brake bosses as well.

gdw
02-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Here's a frame which is a jack of all trades but master of none.
http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/route29.htm
Have Bob add eyelets a rack, buy an extra set of road wheels, a rigid fork, and you can use it for all the tasks you listed.

Too Tall
02-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Didn't Bruce Gordon used to make a bike drilled for ctr. pulls / 700c and canti bosses for mtn wheels plus all the usual brazings?????

Grant McLean
02-23-2007, 12:52 PM
I thought I might be asking too much out of one bike. That said, the wife is won't let me have 10 different bikes so I am looking for that one do everyting.

What about a Kogeswell? Can it handle cross - nothing serious just for fun ya know?

Ok, I understand you might not be able to have 10 bikes,
but how about 2? How about a moderately priced road bike
and a cross bike can handle most everything else, including
being set up as a single speed.

Soma Double Cross (http://www.somafab.com/doublecrosspix.html)

Cannondale Six13 compact for centuries (http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/07/cusa/road/six13/model-7RCT3D.html)

g

rnhood
02-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Rivendell (Rambouillet, Atlantis, Bleriot, etc) as already mentioned, is a good choice and, the Ebisu from Jitensha Studio is a great all around choice too.

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/cmpltbikes_e.html

Archibald
02-23-2007, 01:04 PM
MXL with canti braze-ons.

What?

dauwhe
02-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I think there are a lot of bikes out there that could work, except maybe for the "single-speed or geared" requirement. Certainly bikes can be built up either way, but switching would be a lot of work--removing derailleurs, different wheels (usually), etc.

Rivendell has made custom bikes called "all-rounders," which have evolved into the Atlantis, among others. My Rivendell Saluki seems great for a huge variety of activities. The Kogswell P/R even has horizontal dropouts, which would help with a fixed/SS build.

All these bikes would be great for some off-road riding with the appropriate tires. But I'm not sure about Cyclo-Cross racing, at least if you're focused on competition.

Faced with these requirements, I might go with a Kogswell P/R and an inexpensive cyclocross racing bike (like the Redline). The two bikes together would probably cost less than one of most of our bikes :)

Dave

kbone
02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
I have a road bike for fast club and charity rides (98 Legend) and was looking for something a little more upright for centuries and that could do all the rest.

The Double Cross, Cross Hair and Cross Check are high on my list but I wanted to see the other options people came up with. To that end that Route29 and the Ebisu looks pretty nice. The Atlantis is up there on this list too but I am just not sure I can convince the wife of that expenditure yet.

WRT CX racing it would not be serious competition. I would just want to do it for the fun of it so if the bike isn't ideal for that application I am cool with that.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I have a better idea of what to research now.

Kevin

Climb01742
02-23-2007, 01:37 PM
a duende in cross dress...if you know what i mean. ;)

tv_vt
02-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Seems to me a Surly Pacer or Cross-check could possibly work for you. You don't mention light weight being at the top of your list, so these steel all-rounders could be good options.

Somebody is also having a sale on the Pacer. Maybe ExcelSports?

vandeda
02-23-2007, 01:49 PM
That's basically the kind of bike I'm most interested in. And I'm going to get shot and/or ridiculed for this one .... but darnit, of all my bikes including ones custom designed for the above purpose, the bike that I own that fits the above bill by far the best has been my '88 Centurion Le Mans. It's only real problem is fitting bigger tires/fenders due to clearances. 28s seems to be about the largest tire size. But I've done centuries, light cyclocrossing (fast single track), toured across NY state (~400 miles) w/a BOB trailer & 45-65 lbs, it's been fixed gear, going 9-speed this summer and has been used as my daily commuter with panniers up front and out back .... it's seen sun, downpours, snow, road salt, and everything in between.

Frankly, my custom bike couldn't do the above as well as the Centurion geometry wise. If I ever get the courage to go custom again, I'm exactly copying the Centurion's geometry. Call me an ignorant fool for liking a Centurion that much, but darnit that bike has taken some serious abuse (that 400 mile tour across NY was fixed gear, and it wrecked a good and fairly new chain!!!!) and keeps on ticking.

As for price, the entire bike to me was free as it was given to me. But it's gone through numerous iterations from original 6-speed, to fixed gear, and to full campy 9-speed (with a Phil Wood BB that is probably worth more than the frame :banana:) this summer.

But I would imagine of the the already mentioned Rivendells or Surlys would work as a good all-arounder. I wouldn't mind trying one for awhile, especially a Rivendell because I like their classic good looks, but at this point I'm a bit reserved on trying something to find out it doesn't work as well again.

d

glc
02-23-2007, 01:52 PM
Rivendell (Rambouillet, Atlantis, Bleriot, etc) as already mentioned, is a good choice and, the Ebisu from Jitensha Studio is a great all around choice too.

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/cmpltbikes_e.html

ebisu all arounder can handle jus' about any beating you can give it: fast descents, rutted cow trails, single track riding including fun big airs and you can load it up.

here's mine: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20322&highlight=ebisu

jthurow
02-23-2007, 01:58 PM
ebisu all arounder can handle jus' about any beating you can give it: fast descents, rutted cow trails, single track riding including fun big airs and you can load it up.

here's mine: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=20322&highlight=ebisu

Those Ebisu's are sa-weet! I went to Jitensha when I was in Cali for the tour and the Ebisu frames they offer are really impressive; good clearances and looks plus all the fittings for fenders and whatnot if you need'em. If I had to do it over again, I'd got one of those instead of my Ramboullet.

jimi

Steelhead
02-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Soma Double Cross.

Chad Engle
02-23-2007, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hijack but can someone tell me the benefit/drawback of the 650 wheels on the Bleriot as an allrounder.

72gmc
02-23-2007, 02:15 PM
I shared your dilemma and most, if not all, of the wants on your list.

You can have one good all-around frame and an extra rear wheel based on an ENO hub. Or you can have two reasonably-priced frames: one for gears and long road work, and one 'cross frame that does single speed.

Shortly I will have the second option: my old Soma Double Cross built with an ENO wheel, and a geared bike in a randonneuring design. Either is versatile, and with both I can do everything on your list. Less than you might imagine invested in both, and I could have done it cheaper but I had the chance to get a handbuilt custom and took it.

In short, I would strongly consider two bikes. The Bianchi San Jose is a great starting point for low-cost single speed/cross.

dauwhe
02-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Sorry to hijack but can someone tell me the benefit/drawback of the 650 wheels on the Bleriot as an allrounder.

There are probably ten million words on this subject in the iBob and 650B list archives: http://search.bikelist.org

According To My Opinion, 650B is great. There are several wonderful tires available, and the size seems "just right" to me. 584 x 37 is the sweet spot for tire size for all-around use, I believe. I ride my Saluki in preference to all other bikes.

Dave

shinomaster
02-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Poprad.

Ray
02-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Poprad.
I was gonna say the same thing. I've owned and ridden all manner of road bikes, touring bikes, cross bikes, 'all-rounders', etc, and IF I was going to have just one bike, it would be the Poprad. I'm sure some of the other cross bikes would also be good, but the Poprad's got a pretty uncanny mix of good road manners, the ability to carry a not-too-heavy load, and great off-road capabilities too. I've had a few different Rivendell models and, as much as I liked them in their own way, I think the Poprad is even more versatile and bit more sporty feeling.

This is all personal preference and what works for one may not work for another, but its at least worth a look.

-Ray

rideon
02-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Don't know how serious you are when you say "trail riding?"

If you really want to ride off-road, you may want to consider a 29er mountain bike. Trail riding to me doesn't equal a cross bike.

However, if you mean that you are going to occasionally ride a smooth fireroad or graded road, by all means go cross.

SoCalSteve
02-24-2007, 11:57 AM
I am looking to purchase a new frame and I was hoping for some input for you kind folks.

I want a frame that isn't too expensive but will be good for multiple uses including; centuries, light touring, towing the kid around in a trailer, trail riding and maybe even a cross race (just to play around). Oh, and, I want to run it single speed or geared depending on my mood. Is there such a frame out there?

Kevin

To quote the great "Obtuse" (the jerk).: Dont shift.

Good luck,

Steve

CNote
02-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Frankly, my custom bike couldn't do the above as well as the Centurion geometry wise.

You mean that maroon Vanilla?

Peter P.
02-24-2007, 09:34 PM
You want a cyclocross bike with a triple crank and a steel fork. You need the steel fork because it's the only way you'll get eyelets, in case you want to install fenders. I'd check out the Gunnar Crosshairs or Surly Crosscheck.

A cyclocross bike will give you the powerful brakes you'll need for a touring load or towing the kiddies. The eyelets are for mounting a rack or fenders. The triple is for the touring loads or tykes.

With the right gearing and skinny tires you can still make others suffer.

obtuse
02-24-2007, 09:47 PM
a lot of the things you want to do on this bike i have little interest in doing and even less knowledge or experience as far as that goes.

nonetheless i would recommend a circa 1994 de rosa in team gewiss-ballan livery with 8speed record and pink shamal wheels....oh wait, never mind wrong thread.

you should get serotta rapid tour in steel.

obtuse

vandeda
02-25-2007, 06:27 AM
You mean that maroon Vanilla?

haha .... no comment :rolleyes:

fstrthnu
02-25-2007, 09:00 AM
New and not too expensive = something production

Centuries, touring, towing, cross race = entry level cx frame as it will have fender mounts and bottle cage mounts.

Single Speed and geared = about an hours worth of work everytime your mood changes.

So... If I had to choose from the current industry offerings I would go with the Lemond Poprad. Why? Has everything (ss excluded) you want and the disc brakes will never fail when you are towing your kid around. Cannondale also makes a nice disc brake CX bike but the Lemond MAY have better comfort charactaristics for those centuries.

Justin

Kevin

72gmc
02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
If you go the one bike route heed fstrthnu's sage advice. And call up ergott about a disc-compatible ENO rear wheel. I believe such a monster exists...

P.S. you can also buy the Lemond as a frame only, not sure about availability on that but it's a possibility if you want your own parts.

P.P.S. good luck with whatever you choose! You're using a bike for a lot of good reasons.

dvancleve
02-25-2007, 11:44 AM
If you don't mind skewing toward the heavy duty end of the spectrum, a Surly Karate Monkey can do all of that and was designed with the SS/fixed/geared conversion in mind.

Doug

BumbleBeeDave
02-25-2007, 05:28 PM
You want a cyclocross bike with a triple crank and a steel fork. You need the steel fork because it's the only way you'll get eyelets, in case you want to install fenders. I'd check out the Gunnar Crosshairs or Surly Crosscheck.

A cyclocross bike will give you the powerful brakes you'll need for a touring load or towing the kiddies. The eyelets are for mounting a rack or fenders. The triple is for the touring loads or tykes.

With the right gearing and skinny tires you can still make others suffer.

. . . but I think Peter expresses it best. It's not going to be the lightest bike in the world, but will meet so many needs so nicely except for the geared/fixed thing. If you want something racier later you can always pick up a used C'Dale or something similar on eBay. There are also some good deals on fixees like a Langster on eBay . . .

BBD

FATBOY
02-25-2007, 05:30 PM
The Norwester will do the trick nicely. Can be built for any brake style and is available with a steel fork with all the mounts or an AlphaQ with extra clearance. The pricing is not too outrageous for the quality either.