PDA

View Full Version : Race radio's

pdxmech13
02-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I am really tired of the stupid cat and mouse game that happens on every shiite stage or race these days. Peloton lets small group go gives them some little time and swallows them up with a few kilo's to go. I am having a hard time watching the same boring sprint time and time again. Any chance is all but gone in todays races. But of course the larger teams will never let this happen as this assures the amount of wins they can accomplish in a year.

I wish cycling was as exciting as the LPGA

obtuse
02-23-2007, 10:24 AM
what's the difference if a time gap is written on a chalkboard or spoken into a race radio?

obtuse

pdxmech13
02-23-2007, 10:26 AM
Mabe not just time checks but things that can be seen on car tv's and then relayed to the riders.

Tom
02-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Here's what they should do. First, no radios. Second, neutral support only for the first x miles or y minutes of the stage. Team cars forced to stay at the start until a certain time then they get to race like speed crazed ferrets after their guys. Basically, give the riders enough of a head start so they have to figure out on their own what to do, by the time the team shows up with information its too late to do anything with it. You could post people all up and down the road with cell phones to call ahead to the next guy but it'd be hell to organize and easy to sabotage.

This'd combine bike racing and car racing. Who wouldn't love that?

gt6267a
02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
As radios are here to stay, I wonder why the DSs actually still ride around in the cars. Instead of bouncing around in a car, watching a mini TV, and getting all crazy. Why not setup a battle room replete with race TV, computer monitors with live SRM data on each rider, comm. equipment to the riders etc. etc. Seems to me that if you are not driving, you could pay more attention to these things? If all the teams did this, they could either have neutral support for beverages and bikes OR at least leave those tasks to less calculating people?

Do they not do this because no one ever has or does being out on the road really help that much? Seems like they can’t see all that is happening and rely on the external information anyway …

fiamme red
02-23-2007, 11:09 AM
As radios are here to stay, I wonder why the DSs actually still ride around in the cars. Instead of bouncing around in a car, watching a mini TV, and getting all crazy. Why not setup a battle room replete with race TV, computer monitors with live SRM data on each rider, comm. equipment to the riders etc. etc. Seems to me that if you are not driving, you could pay more attention to these things? If all the teams did this, they could either have neutral support for beverages and bikes OR at least leave those tasks to less calculating people?

Do they not do this because no one ever has or does being out on the road really help that much? Seems like they can’t see all that is happening and rely on the external information anyway …As shifting becomes electronic, the DS should be able to shift gears for his riders from the control room, if he wants them to speed up or slow down.

Wouldn't it be fun if tifosi geeks could hack into the control room computer? A rider is climbing the Galibier in a 39x21, all of a sudden he finds himself in the 53x11 and topples over.

Kevan
02-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Here's what they should do. First, no radios. Second, neutral support only for the first x miles or y minutes of the stage. Team cars forced to stay at the start until a certain time then they get to race like speed crazed ferrets after their guys. Basically, give the riders enough of a head start so they have to figure out on their own what to do, by the time the team shows up with information its too late to do anything with it. You could post people all up and down the road with cell phones to call ahead to the next guy but it'd be hell to organize and easy to sabotage.

Car crashes ta boot! Genius! Pure genius! Crazed ferrets... what poetry.

Bring on the stem-cam!

petitelilpettit
02-23-2007, 11:25 AM

What do ya know? The races will be watched by cycling fans AND NASCAR fans! Ratings would go through the roof!!!! :banana: :banana:

That would be fun. Oh, well. Dreaming is free.

Pettit

stevep
02-23-2007, 11:25 AM
voight will spank the small american in the tt and go into the lead.

this is not a prediction. i am from the future and know it for a fact.

my choices to go ahead in time were to see the end result of the iraq war of the tt stage of the toc 2007.
obviously i picked the bike race.

fierte_poser
02-23-2007, 12:21 PM
What do ya know? The races will be watched by cycling fans AND NASCAR fans! Ratings would go through the roof!!!! :banana: :banana:

That would be fun. Oh, well. Dreaming is free.

Pettit

NASCAR fans would only watch if the car's were carbureted! But make sure the bikes have electronic shifting. :p

pdxmech13
02-23-2007, 12:29 PM
did you get any good stock info

Bruce K
02-23-2007, 01:13 PM
NO RESTRCTOR PLATES !!!! (RP racing is more of a parade, than a race.)

That would really get the juices flowing.

BK

stevep
02-23-2007, 06:45 PM
did you get any good stock info

if i did you better not take it. the best financial advice i can give you all is...buy bike shiite.
it improves my financial position every time.