PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds UL fork...

catulle
02-22-2007, 08:40 PM
A few questions about carbon forks, please:

1) Opinions on new Reynolds UL, please.
2) Which would you prefer: Alpha Q CS10 or Ouzo Pro?
4) Switching from 44 of rake to 43 of rake make a significant difference?

Thank you.

pdxmech13
02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Not to sound like a smart a**, but as long as the rake is rite and your not 250lbs its all the same. Looks are key in that department.

Grant McLean
02-22-2007, 09:08 PM
http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British/reynolds/reynolds_531.htm

:)

g

obtuse
02-22-2007, 09:12 PM
i'm boycotting forks made by companies who don't make frames. except for mizuno. i like mizuno 'cause they make sneakers. so i ammend; i'm boycotting forks made by companies who don't make frames or sneakers.

obtuse

jeffg
02-23-2007, 02:48 AM
i'm boycotting forks made by companies who don't make frames. except for mizuno. i like mizuno 'cause they make sneakers. so i ammend; i'm boycotting forks made by companies who don't make frames or sneakers.

obtuse

Should Dario or Ben Serotta spec Time forks rather than Reynolds?

I kind of wish Dario still spec'd Mizuno forks, but that has nothing to do with the price of crappy coffee in Palo Alto ...

vaxn8r
02-23-2007, 02:57 AM
I like forks made by companies which also make baseball bats and gloves.

soulspinner
02-23-2007, 04:25 AM
Tom Kellog spent time aiding in the development of the UL and says its the shiznit...

Smiley
02-23-2007, 06:48 AM
Mike Lopez , now with Serotta but the primary guru at the time with Reynolds has worked with too many bike companies to count that helped them develop forks and stuff ( rear stays ). My money is on Reynolds.

obtuse
02-23-2007, 08:09 AM

I kind of wish Dario still spec'd Mizuno forks, but that has nothing to do with the price of crappy coffee in Palo Alto ...

yes.

it has everything to do with the price of crappy coffee in palo alto. if this harvard thing doesn't pan out for pucci's kid; i heard she's going to open a dunkin donuts in palo alto or maybe redwood city. then you can get cheap crappy coffee.

ps i am just messing with you people about forks. reynolds makes a fine product but i'd feel much more comfortable if it was the same people who also make that wonderful wrap.

obtuse

atmo
02-23-2007, 08:13 AM
i'd feel much more comfortable if it was the same people who also make that wonderful wrap.

obtuse
fight the power -
fight the power that be atmo.
fr straight outta' chesta'

Archibald
02-23-2007, 08:21 AM

obtuse
Easton?

They make frames.

Just sayin....

davids
02-23-2007, 08:23 AM
fight the power
Word, homes.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Cottage/7642/pix/1429.jpg

obtuse
02-23-2007, 08:23 AM
Easton?

They make frames.

Just sayin....

yeah so i'm not boycotting them.

read the fine print of my boycott mahn.

obtuse

Tom Kellogg
02-23-2007, 04:21 PM
A few things of note Re: the Reynolds UL.

- For a given steerer tube length, the UL is within 5 grams of the Easton SLX. i.e. super light.

- The stock steerer length is 310mm. That way, you larger folks can actually use it. The Ouzo Pro steerer is 285mm.

- Laterally and torsionally, the UL is somewhat stiffer than the Ouzo Pro and MUCH stiffer than all of the other forks in the +-300 gram range.

- Because it is torsionally stiffer than all but the heaviest composite forks, the UL does have a somewhat tighter feel than the stuff you might be used to. It is also not quite as comfortable as some of the really light forks like the AlphaQ GS-30. It is more comfortable than an SLX.

- Interestingly, the UL is not as stiff longitudinally as an SLX, but it is stiffer than most of the other under 350gr. Forks.

- I have never ridden a fork with the UL’s combination of lateral and torsional stiffness and light weight. I know, weight should not be a primary concern, but if I can get it without the usual drawbacks, what the heck?

catulle
02-23-2007, 08:08 PM
A few things of note Re: the Reynolds UL.

- For a given steerer tube length, the UL is within 5 grams of the Easton SLX. i.e. super light.

- The stock steerer length is 310mm. That way, you larger folks can actually use it. The Ouzo Pro steerer is 285mm.

- Laterally and torsionally, the UL is somewhat stiffer than the Ouzo Pro and MUCH stiffer than all of the other forks in the +-300 gram range.

- Because it is torsionally stiffer than all but the heaviest composite forks, the UL does have a somewhat tighter feel than the stuff you might be used to. It is also not quite as comfortable as some of the really light forks like the AlphaQ GS-30. It is more comfortable than an SLX.

- Interestingly, the UL is not as stiff longitudinally as an SLX, but it is stiffer than most of the other under 350gr. Forks.

- I have never ridden a fork with the UL’s combination of lateral and torsional stiffness and light weight. I know, weight should not be a primary concern, but if I can get it without the usual drawbacks, what the heck?

Gottcha. Thanks. The UL is the way to go.

merckx
02-23-2007, 08:16 PM
Does the UL have the same dimensions as the Ozo? I.e., are the fork legs the same length?

Serotta_Andrew
02-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Simple answer... get the F3 fork!!!!!!!

Tom Kellogg
02-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Does the UL have the same dimensions as the Ozo? I.e., are the fork legs the same length?

Yes, within about one mm. The rakes available are also the same. Currently, 43mm, next they are running the 50s, then the 40s and finally the 45s.

An yes, the F-3 is an excellent fork.

catulle
02-23-2007, 09:00 PM
I like the AlphaQ's too.

sw3759
02-24-2007, 03:03 AM

i thought is common knowledge that Serotta owns the Reynolds fork division now?
or is that just heresay?

Scott

catulle
02-24-2007, 06:42 AM

or is that just heresay?

Scott

BdaGhisallo
02-25-2007, 10:44 AM
The rakes available are also the same. Currently, 43mm, next they are running the 50s, then the 40s and finally the 45s

Tom, do you have any idea when Reynolds might get to the end of the list and have some 45s ready to sell?

And when you say that the fork length is within a mm of the ouzo pro, is the UL shorter or longer than the Ouzo?

I am tempted to get an UL, though I have yet to see any pics of bikes with one mounted to get an idea of how the new crown looks. A little beefier-looking than the Ouzo might not be so bad.

shinomaster
02-25-2007, 11:35 AM
fight the power -
fight the power that be atmo.
fr straight outta' chesta'

Are you guys taking about lavash?

Samster
02-25-2007, 12:13 PM

Tom Kellogg
02-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Tom, do you have any idea when Reynolds might get to the end of the list and have some 45s ready to sell?

And when you say that the fork length is within a mm of the ouzo pro, is the UL shorter or longer than the Ouzo?

I am tempted to get an UL, though I have yet to see any pics of bikes with one mounted to get an idea of how the new crown looks. A little beefier-looking than the Ouzo might not be so bad.

BDA

Best information is that the 45s are going on line sometime around May.

As with so many questions like this (longer, shorter) “it all depends.” It depends on the rake. The tooling for the UL is a different design and offset effects the “fork length” differently. Does it matter? Absolutely not. The range from longest to shortest in the Uls is about 1.3mm. Believe me, that range is entirely irrelevant. Keep in mind, if you change from something like an Ouzo Pro to an AlphaQ V-Pro, your fork length will change almost 5mm. So forget the slight differences in fork length.

The average modern fork length (front axle to crown race seat measured along the head tube axis) is about 372mm. However, if you look around to manufacturers specs, the range is pretty loose. Just ignore it, ride the bike. Have fun in your blissful ignorance.

I should take a few photos of my current ride so that you all could see the UL with a head tube and headset, but that would mean that I would have to actually walk over to the barn and do it. Well, forget it, I am staying away from work today. So, there! :D :D

BdaGhisallo
02-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Tom,

Thanks for the info on the 45s. I can certainly wait until May for an UL.

As for the pics, I would love to see a few whenever you make it over to the barn.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Geoff

Smiley
02-25-2007, 01:35 PM

or is that just heresay?

Scott
Serotta bought the CA reynolds plant along with the Brains behind it "Mike Lopez" , they will be making the F3 fork along with their own tubing from this day forward. ie they now own the F3 mold along with the fab facility.

djg21
02-25-2007, 01:55 PM

. . . .

Putting aside the steerer tube, is the UL fork suitable for larger riders (around 6'3", 200lbs)? I could care less about a couple of grams, but I'm fairly hard on equipment.

Tom Kellogg
02-25-2007, 02:10 PM
Putting aside the steerer tube, is the UL fork suitable for larger riders (around 6'3", 200lbs)? I could care less about a couple of grams, but I'm fairly hard on equipment.

DJG:

Absolutely, the ULs ultimate strength (how much stress it takes to bust it) is a bit higher than the Ouzo Pro's. Since it is stiffer in both torsion and laterally, you will find that it offers a bit better control anyway, even at your weight.

ps. it isn't just "a couple of grams" either. Cool. :p

stevep
02-25-2007, 02:27 PM
. Just ignore it, ride the bike. Have fun in your blissful ignorance.
:D

that goes a long way toward explaining almost any detailed technical question that has popped up on this site in the last year.

i want that decal on my tt.

Tom Kellogg
02-25-2007, 03:17 PM
OK, OK ... I HAD to go out to the shop to ride the trainer today anyway so I took a few shots. Sorry for the condition of my ride, but the weather has not been the best of late. The reason for the unusual decals on the fork is that we needed to disguise the forks during the prototype testing.

For those larger folks out there, this fork was ridden by a Div.3 pro for about a month this fall. He is 6'2" and 185 lbs. worked for him, not just for the little shrimp that I am.

Smiley
02-25-2007, 03:47 PM
Tom , question regarding your frame pump , how did you modify the pump to fit in that tight space sans a pump peg , more pix please or an explaination, thanks Smiley

Sandy
02-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Tom , question regarding your frame pump , how did you modify the pump to fit in that tight space sans a pump peg , more pix please or an explaination, thanks Smiley

Simple- Colby is holding onto it at the other end.

Simple Sandy

Tom Kellogg
02-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Smiley:

The peg is at the seat tube end. And, by the way, a late Happy Birthday!

Tmogul
02-25-2007, 06:06 PM
DJG:

Absolutely, the ULs ultimate strength (how much stress it takes to bust it) is a bit higher than the Ouzo Pro's. Since it is stiffer in both torsion and laterally, you will find that it offers a bit better control anyway, even at your weight.

ps. it isn't just "a couple of grams" either. Cool. :p

How would you compare the UL fork to what I believe was Reynold's stiffest road fork last year....the reynolds ouzo pro criterium fork? I'm wondering if the steerer on the UL fork is thinner and maybe has more flex from a stiff stem/bar combo then the criterium fork. Also how does it compare to an F3 10.5 or Time Avant Stiff? Us big clydesdale sprinter types would like to know. ;) Maybe the big guys can have their cake and eat it too. Thanks.

BdaGhisallo
02-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the shots Tom. That fork looks nice. I'll be waiting for the 45 and sticking with my four year old ouzo pro rather than getting a new ouzo. The UL it is!

Cheers,
Geoff

pdxmech13
02-25-2007, 11:48 PM
that is one dirty bike mr. kellog. how does it happen indoors ? :rolleyes:

Tom Kellogg
02-26-2007, 03:41 PM
We just got our first two production ULs in today, a 43 and a 50. You will begin to see them at retail very quickly now.

Most of you will have noticed that the new UL looks quite a bit like Ben's carbon forks. No surprise about that though. The "F" series forks were largely developed by the same folks and in the same facility that the UL was. What I am implying here is that the Serotta forks are from the very highest lineage in the composite fork industry. Now that Serotta owns their own fork production facility, they have an even clearer "ownership" of the product and there is now even tighter oversight of their product. ITS ALL GOOD! :banana:

Smiley
02-26-2007, 05:17 PM
We just got our first two production ULs in today, a 43 and a 50. You will begin to see them at retail very quickly now.

Most of you will have noticed that the new UL looks quite a bit like Ben's carbon forks. No surprise about that though. The "F" series forks were largely developed by the same folks and in the same facility that the UL was. What I am implying here is that the Serotta forks are from the very highest lineage in the composite fork industry. Now that Serotta owns their own fork production facility, they have an even clearer "ownership" of the product and there is now even tighter oversight of their product. ITS ALL GOOD! :banana:
Good is your BBQ Mr Kellogg , Paul Newman has nothin over you. Can that stuff and sell it online and make some $$ .

Tom Kellogg
02-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Good is your BBQ Mr Kellogg , Paul Newman has nothin over you. Can that stuff and sell it online and make some $$ .

So, how many cases are you in for?

chrisroph
02-26-2007, 06:38 PM
So, how many cases are you in for?

can you pick a steak off the bbq with one of those forks?