PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Weight Loss: Help!

jeffg
02-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Ok, in a few days the task of starting a new job and finding a semi-permanent place to live will be all that separate me from the bike ... :crap:

So, I am carrying probably 20 extra pounds at the moment and slogged up Sierra in about 32 minutes yesterday. I didn't go all out, but could not have gone much faster in any event.

Problem: 206 mile DC with 20,000 feet of climbing in two months: I figure I need to lose at least 10-15 pounds by then and still train. Intensity of training does not need to be extreme since volume is much more critical here.

Ideas? I have never been this heavy before so I have no experience losing this kind of weight except via extreme food poisoning

Climb01742
02-22-2007, 03:19 PM
cut out all added sugar. if possible, cut out processed carbs. try 5 smaller meals instead of three bigger ones: small breakfast, snack @10:30/11, small lunch, snack @3:30/4, small dinner. with each meal or snack include some protein. eat carbs early in the day, as few as possible for dinner. eat protein and veggies/salad for dinner. drink mucho water, no sodas or fruit juices.

fiamme red
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
TrimSpa. Endorsed by Anna Nicole Smith.

Ginger
02-22-2007, 03:50 PM
fitday.com

The easy way to count those calories (including those enjoyable, but empty wine calories...)

Get your rear back on the bike twice a day (short spin in the AM...say 1/2 hour on the trainer, then a regular training session in the evening...)

Those two things usually help me drop 10-20 lbs after I'm cleared for takeoff after surgeries.

Throw in a walk at lunch...

Kevan
02-22-2007, 04:08 PM
and for variety...

Spinach and broccoli.

Watch out even carrots have sugar.

Hey, good luck with that.

AgilisMerlin
02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
cut out all added sugar. if possible, cut out processed carbs. try 5 smaller meals instead of three bigger ones: small breakfast, snack @10:30/11, small lunch, snack @3:30/4, small dinner. with each meal or snack include some protein. eat carbs early in the day, as few as possible for dinner. eat protein and veggies/salad for dinner. drink mucho water, no sodas or fruit juices.

totally agree. i am much stricter, but i am a little crazy anywho.

this works for me.......................but maybe just for me:

no sugar of any kind.....
little carbs (mine is granola)
eat at mid morning
big *** meal at 4:00
no food after 6:00
cut way back on quantity
water water water water water..........
milk, fruit - not a ton

protein protein protein

snipped about water/weight loss..................

copy/paste

art. 1

How 8 Glasses a Day Keeps Fat Away

Incredible as it may seem, water is quite possibly the single most important catalyst in losing weight and keeping it off. Although most of us take it for granted, water may be the only true "magic potion" for permanent weight loss!

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase, while an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits. Here's why: The kidneys can't function properly without enough water. When the kidneys don't work to capacity, some of their load is dumped onto the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. If the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it can't operate at full throttle. As a result, it metabolizes less fat, more fat remains stored in the body, and weight loss stops. Drinking enough water is the best treatment for fluid retention. When the body gets less water, it perceives this as a threat to survival and begins to hold on to every drop. Water is stored in extra cellular spaces (outside the cells). This shows up as swollen feet, legs and hands. Diuretics offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns. The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give the body what it needs.PLENTY OF WATER. Only then will the stored water be released. If you have a constant problem with water retention, excess salt may be to blame. Your body will tolerate sodium only in a certain concentration. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of un-needed salt is easy - just drink more water. As it's forced through the kidneys, it takes away excess sodium. The overweight person needs more water than the thin one! Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism, it follows that the overweight person needs more water. Water helps maintain proper muscle tone by giving muscles their natural ability to contract and by preventing dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss - shrinking cells are buoyed by water, which plumps the skin and leaves it clear, healthy, and resilient. Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has a lot more waste to get rid of - all the metabolized fat must be shed. Again, adequate water helps flush out the waste. Water can help relieve constipation. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. The colon is one primary source. Result? Constipation. But, when a person gets enough water, normal bowel functions returns. So far, we've discovered some remarkable truths about water and weight loss:

art. 2

"I've tried it and I couldn't stand it!" The problem is that, though many decide to increase their water intake, very few stick with it. It's understandable. During the first few days of drinking more water than your body is accustomed to, you're running to the bathroom constantly. This can be very discouraging, and it can certainly interfere with an otherwise normal day at work. It seems that the water is coming out just as fast as it's going in, and many people decide that their new hydration habit is fruitless.

Do take heed , though. What is really happening is that your body is flushing itself of the water it has been storing throughout all those years of "survival mode". It takes a while, but this is a beautiful thing happening to you. As you continue to give your body all the water it could ask for, it gets rid of what it doesn't need. It gets rid of the water it was holding onto in your ankles and your hips and thighs, maybe even around your belly. You are excreting much more than you realize. Your body figures it doesn't need to save these stores anymore; it's trusting that the water will keep coming, and if it does, eventually, the flushing (of both the body and the potty) will cease, allowing the human to return to a normal life. It's true. This is called the "breakthrough point."

One recent finding, as irresponsible as it may be, that caffeine increases the body's fat-burning potential has many people loading up on coffee before going to the gym. This finding may hold some degree of truth in it, but caffeine is, in essence, a diuretic, and diuretics dehydrate. Caffeine may increase the heart rate, causing a few more calories to be burned, but this is at the expense of the muscles, which need water to function properly. This isn't doing your heart any favors, either. It's already working hard enough during your workout. Never mix caffeine and exercise. In fact, your best bet is to stay away from caffeine all together. It's a big bully that pushes your friend water out of your system.

Water is the best beauty treatment. You've heard this since high school, and it's true. Water will do wonders for your looks! It flushes out impurities in your skin, leaving you with a clear, glowing complexion. It also makes your skin look younger. Skin that is becoming saggy, either due to aging or weight loss, plumps up very nicely when the skin cells are hydrated.

In addition, it improves muscle tone. You can lift weights until you're blue in the face, but if your muscles are suffering from a drought, you won't notice a pleasant difference in your appearance. Muscles that have all the water they need contract more easily, making your workout more effective, and you'll look much nicer than if you had flabby muscles under sagging skin.

"Eight glasses a day? Are you kidding?!" It's really not that much. Eight 8-ounce glasses amount to about two quarts of water. This is okay for the average person, but if you're overweight, you should drink another eight ounces for every 25 pounds of excess weight you carry. You should also up this if you live in a hot climate or exercise very intensely.

This water consumption should be spread out throughout the day. It's not healthy at all to drink too much water at one time. Try to pick three or four times a day when you can have a big glass of water, and then sip in between. Don't let yourself get thirsty. If you feel thirsty, you're already becoming dehydrated. Drink when you're not thirsty yet.

Do you think water is yucky? Drinking other fluids will certainly help hydrate your body, but the extra calories, sugar, additives and whatever else aren't what you need. Try a slice of lemon or lime in the glass, or if you really think you hate water, try a flavored water. Just make sure you read the labels. Remember that you're going to be consuming a lot of this fluid.

It's probably a good idea to stop drinking water a good three hours before you go to bed. You know why.
"How cold should it be?" This is debatable. Most experts lean toward cold water, because the stomach absorbs it more quickly. There is also some evidence that cold water might enhance fat burning.

On the other hand, warmer water is easier to drink in large quantities, and you might drink more of it without even realizing it. Do whatever suits you, here. Just drink it!

When you drink all the water you need, you will very quickly notice a decrease in your appetite, possibly even on the first day! If you're serious about becoming leaner and healthier, drinking water is an absolute must. If you're doing everything else right and still not seeing results, this might just what's missing.

amerlin

Jason E
02-22-2007, 05:07 PM
You could ride a couple of century rides. That would help.

Seriously though, keep tabs on your diet, but don't go nuts. All of your riding will help with getting in shape and losing weight, but if you cut too much out, you'll get weaker closer to the event and burn yourself out.

Ride Lots, eat smart. Don't starve yourself, but don't be a Wilbur.

stevep
02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
try 5 smaller meals instead of three bigger ones: .

climbo,
i thought you said 15 small meals. i now weigh 235 and have to stop and rest when going to the second floor in myn hse.
s
what should i do now?

stevep
02-22-2007, 06:05 PM
seriously.
never drink soda. never.

Climb01742
02-22-2007, 06:14 PM
yo, steve, i didn't realize that was you today until after you left. when the good senor said "steve" i didn't connect it to THE stevep. and what the h*ll were you doing holding a frame that isn't french? ;)

stevep
02-22-2007, 06:18 PM
no kidding.
next time i buy the coffee.
hes such a jerk.
nice day for a pedal though.

the frame is cheap chinese shiit.
price point... steel commuter bike or something.

djg
02-22-2007, 07:12 PM
A couple of years back I tried South Beach and did really well with it. I finally got past critical scrutiny of the "logic" to this or that diet, and of the evidence supposed to back it, and I just did it. 11 pounds in just over a couple of weeks on "phase 1" and, while I didn't love it, I didn't feel sick and I didn't feel famished all the time either. It was fine. I dropped more than double that overall.

Although I've kept most of the weight off, I've crept back some this past fall and winter and I'm not all that happy about it--thinking of jumping back in sometime in the next couple of days.

jhcakilmer
02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
I would agree with many of the suggestions here, but I wouldn't keep any of these high protein diets up for a long time. If you don't eat a balanced diet, bad things happen.

For example, the protein diet can have extreme adverse effects........in most studies that I've read 20-25% of dieters had kidney issues (like kidney stones). That's a high percentage, and only one of the issues.

It has nothing to do with water consumption either. Protein diets are acidic diets, that drops your urine pH, and kidney stones form do to this low pH. The same thing happens with certain antibiotics, and basic urine.

My suggest would be to go vegan....no dairy, or animal products of any kind. There is basically twice as many calories in anything that comes from an animal. Plus higher saturated fat. That's what Lance did to loose weight, so I bet it would work for you!

I don't agree with not eating much fruit. I see pics of the pros eating lots of oranges, and especially bananas. Also they're have been a few studies that show that catalope, and grapefruit help you loose weight.

It's definitely not easy, but if you followed a vegan diet and ate all of the fresh vegies, fruits, and whole grains you want you'd be healthier, and loose weight fast.

Finally, definitely don't drink anything alcoholic. Ethanol has a ton of calories, and absolutely no value. Sorry guys, grape juice is better for you then wine......but maybe not as much fun?

Ginger
02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Unfortunately I've met quite a few fat vegans...

but that's only because they fry their healthy veggies in lots of olive oil...eat a lot of pasta with red sauce, drink alcohol...and generally eat the same unhealthy stuff that the rest of us eat only without animal products.

:)

The raw diet...now *that* will do you some good...I don't think I've ever met anyone on a raw vegan diet who was overweight...quite the contrary.

OldDog
02-22-2007, 08:16 PM
A couple of years back I tried South Beach and did really well with it. I finally got past critical scrutiny of the "logic" to this or that diet, and of the evidence supposed to back it, and I just did it. 11 pounds in just over a couple of weeks on "phase 1" and, while I didn't love it, I didn't feel sick and I didn't feel famished all the time either. It was fine. I dropped more than double that overall.

Although I've kept most of the weight off, I've crept back some this past fall and winter and I'm not all that happy about it--thinking of jumping back in sometime in the next couple of days.

+1
I also find Salmon to fill the hunger yet peel away pounds. Yet after a while it's like eating spam spam spam spam and more spam!

rbtmcardle
02-22-2007, 08:21 PM
The Rice Diet, the book not the outpatient center in NC, very interesting stuff
http://www.ricedietprogram.com/

I need to lose about 30

jhcakilmer
02-22-2007, 08:22 PM
Sorry Ginger, I forgot to clarify...

"Real vegan, not pseudo-vegan"

jhcakilmer
02-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Raw is great, but it's almost to hard to get enough calories. Plus it's really gassy! Your body can't digest the cellulose, so the natural flora in you GI tries to digest it, and produces methane as a by-product. Lightly steaming your veggies actually helps you digest, and absorb more of the nutrients.

Ginger
02-22-2007, 08:36 PM
That is TOO funny! (real vegans...)

Ya can't disqualify them from being vegan that way. They don't let anything with animal products past their lips, they don't wear leather...they're good vegans, they just can't give up some of the tasty foods they used to eat as non-vegans.

Yeah, it doesn't help my perception of vegans that I hang out at my friend's bakery (her disclaimer...I run a bakery...yes, it's tasty and has calories!) She not only does gluten free, glutenfree/lactose free/vegetarian, but vegan as well.

jhcakilmer
02-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Well, I guess this is my oppinion.

This is kind of a pointless arguement. The purpose of eating as a vegan is to be healthy, if someone choices to eat those things that are high in calories, and fat, then yes, they will gain weight.

That completely defeats the purpose of the vegan diet.

So yes, you have to have some common sense about it, it's not just a given! Heck, sugar cane, and alcohol, could be considered vegan, but do you really think they are healthy?

It can't just be a trend, or a fad, but a lifestyle that is balanced!

jeh
02-23-2007, 12:46 AM
This isn't going to help anyone lose weight over night, but it's still interesting.

-j

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?ex=1172293200&en=34ee9ef145913ddd&ei=5070

Xyzzy
02-23-2007, 01:36 AM
http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/hdpdf.zip

JasonH
02-23-2007, 03:34 AM
There is basically twice as many calories in anything that comes from an animal.

That's what Lance did to loose weight, so I bet it would work for you!

There's twice as many calories per gram of fat as there are per gram in protein and carbs, which are almost identical. If you're eating lean cuts of meat or fish you're not getting twice the calories. There may be more calories because vegetables have more fiber and other non caloric mass per gram though, but that's being picky.

I think what Lance did to lose weight was called Chemo.

Climb01742
02-23-2007, 04:57 AM
i didn't mean to suggest excessive protein. just enough. for an athlete, protein is key. you're breaking down then rebuilding muscle constantly. protein is a building block. there are good non-meat, non-fat sources too. my fav morning snack is (don't laugh! its tasty) is brown rice and non-fat cottage cheese. for afternoon snack a shake with fruit and protein powder. but i find it hard to get enough protein without some lean meat (fish, chicken, turkey, especially ground turkey, which is great for all sorts of recipes.)

catulle
02-23-2007, 05:48 AM

catulle
02-23-2007, 05:49 AM
+ Protein
- Sugars
Burn calories

Tom
02-23-2007, 07:49 AM
and ride more than you eat. Child's play.

Archibald
02-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Beef and Whiskey and ride more than you eat. Child's play.
A man after my own heart!
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/kawachi/cabinet/products3/fortythree.jpg

BarryG
02-23-2007, 08:01 AM
No need to make extreme changes to what you've been eating. Just deliberately, and not extremely, tip the balance toward burning more calories than you're consuming. This means that when you're off the bike, getting used to the feeling of being slightly hungry and not immediately satisfying the desire. Feeling slightly hungry (especially between meals) is a good, healthy, longevity-promoting feeling. And you can't help but lose weight.

Ginger
02-23-2007, 08:32 AM
You know...after rereading this thread...and going through several periods of time when exercise was not really an option and I didn't watch my calories well...

There's no quick fix. I think weight loss has far less to do with exactly what you put in your mouth and far more to do with your attitude. You need to actually want to, not just say you want to.

Sort of that whole "do, no do" thing.

paulh
02-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Can you expand(no pun intended) on how you use fitday? Free access or membership option. What is most useful to you? You log every bite?

Ginger
02-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Can you expand(no pun intended) on how you use fitday? Free access or membership option. What is most useful to you? You log every bite?

I use it free online so I can access it from work as well as from home...I haven't checked to see if there's a version for my pda...that would be ideal.
Yep. Log every bite *and* sip (and supplement) to get the real picture of exactly how many calories you're really taking in on a daily basis. If you don't log every bite there's really no point in tracking calories, is there?

Let's take an apple as an example...say you don't log the two apples you eat every day because, well, they have lots of fiber and they're good for you! Well...say one apple is 100 calories, say your goal is 2200 calories with a 500 calorie deficit from exercise....and you're hitting the 2200 with the calories you're actually keeping track of...those apples put you 200 calories over your goal. If you're only trying for a 500 calorie deficit every day to loose a pound or so a week, those 200 calories are actually a good sized ommision.

Once you see where you're bringing in the most calories over your calorie goal, it's easier to trim them out and to see where you're screwing yourself over. It's also fun to experiment with what you eat, how you feel, and what nutrients you're bringing in.

No, it's not a really accurate tool. But it's fairly painless to use and not a bad tool for free.

I will tell you that I can use that tool when I'm actively trying to loose weight, but to do that every day of the year is a bit much.

(ps...the one error I see people making with the weight loss thing is due to an error in the explanation of calorie goals. People follow the formulas for calories or protein required and put in their current weight, not the weight they want to achieve...then they wonder why they're not loosing weight...)

BumpyintheBurgh
02-23-2007, 10:33 AM
Went on the Atkins Diet two years ago, lost 20 lbs in 3 weeks. Suprised that it came off that quickly and easily. Never felt like I was starving myself. Have gained a few pounds back so I decided to start it again 5 days ago. Weighed in this morning and have lost a pound a day since starting again.
It works.

This morning I had an egg,cheese & green pepper omelette, sausage paddy, glass of water and coffee, can't do without the caffeine, for breakfast. For lunch I'm having a piece of chicken, small salad and string cheeze stick, and for dinner it will be herb encrusted salmon, asparagus and a salad. If I feel the urge to eat in between, I chew on a celery stick and have a glass of water.

In order for it to work you have to cut down your carb & sugar intake. No bread, pasta, potatoes, snack foods or alcohol. You can eat all the meat or fish you want and plenty of vegetables, so you won't be starving yourself. Good luck.

jhcakilmer
02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
You know...after rereading this thread...and going through several periods of time when exercise was not really an option and I didn't watch my calories well...

There's no quick fix. I think weight loss has far less to do with exactly what you put in your mouth and far more to do with your attitude. You need to actually want to, not just say you want to.

Sort of that whole "do, no do" thing.

I couldn't agree with you more, Ginger.

IMHO, all diets are gimick because most, if not all are not realistic, and hard to incorporate into long term lifestyle.

Honestly, if you just follow the food pyramid, and rider your heart out you'll loose weight fast, and healthily (I know it's not a word!)

"Balance" and "Moderation" is the best way.....because it's sustainable, and realistic!

AgilisMerlin
02-23-2007, 10:50 AM
The food pyramid:

all about massive consumption.

amerliN

Andreas
02-23-2007, 11:06 AM
Ideas? I have never been this heavy before so I have no experience losing this kind of weight except via extreme food poisoning

Jeff,

I also never have been on a diet to loose weight.
But I do have to make an effort in summer when I ride a lot to maintain weight.

Not being an expert, but I think I understand this pretty well.
If you burn more calories than you take in, your weight will go down.
OTOH, if you take in more than you burn, it will go up.

Therefore, you can either change one variable in the desired direction, or both to achieve the desired effect. :D :banana:

Another great tip, not well known in the world of dieters:
Silver bike components will make you slimmer ©.

Good Luck.
Andreas

PS: Jan will know, hook up with him during his press conference on Monday!

Ginger
02-23-2007, 11:11 AM
Another great tip, not well known in the world of dieters:
Silver bike components will make you slimmer ©.

Shhhhh I thought we were keeping that a secret!

There are many issues with the food pyramid. The first issue in my opinion is that vegetables should make up that largest block on the bottom, not grains (in other words, switch vegetables with the bread/grain and I'd be on board with that).

Bud_E
02-23-2007, 11:25 AM
...that - and a stuffed cabbage.

(Sorry - I couldn't resist)

fiamme red
02-23-2007, 11:31 AM
If you're so out of shape, just ride the DC, don't race it. Will it really make such a difference in the long run whether you finish in 13 hours or 15?

One of my most memorable rides in 2006 was a 300 km brevet that I did with two friends. I was in better shape than either of them, and could have finished two hours earlier had I joined a faster group. But we had a great time together, joking, telling stories, stopping for pizza, enjoying the scenery. The main thing is having fun.

cadence90
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm going through some health issues and I can say that the doctors I'm seeing all agree:
1) Diets such as Atkins, Zone, etc. do not really work long-term.
2) Lifestyle change is as important as diet change.
3) Commitment is everything.
4) These two books are excellent:
"Eat to Live", Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
"Eat More, Weigh Less", Dean Ornish, M.D.

Hope that helps.

theprep
02-23-2007, 12:11 PM
3 things have helped me stay leaner at 39 then I was at 29.

1. Portion control - carb serving is only the size of a clenched fist and and meat/protein portion is the size of the palm of your hand

2. sip water all day, drink full glass upon waking and before meals

3. don't eat anything white

Fat Robert
02-23-2007, 12:23 PM
amputation

it works

jeffg
02-23-2007, 01:20 PM
amputation

it works

I think that's what Britney did, shaving the head and getting some help quieting the demons ...

jeffg
02-23-2007, 01:57 PM
I am looking to up the training as well so I do not wish to go the Atkin's route.

And yes, going slower on the DC is an option, though not by much. The best time is generally around 13 hours. Trust me, if you are out of shape trying to climb Mt. Diablo, Morgan Territory, Patterson Pass, Mines Road, the backside of Mt. Hamilton, Sierra Road, Palomares & Niles Canyon is ugly.

How does this advice sound?

Phase 1: For the first 2 weeks, limit yourself to cutting out or drastically
reducing:
1. Wine, beer, alcohol in general
2. Sweetened and carbonated beverages and fruit juices
3. Sweets and dessert.
4. Cheese

Phase 2: Over the following 2 weeks, try to change your food choices and eating habits.

For carbohydrates (CHO), augment those that are absorbed slowly, like brown rice, legumes, greens, oats; reducing those that are rapidly absorbed: white rice, pasta, potatoes, and simple sugars.

For proteins, concentrate on lean meats (chicken, turkey), fish, and egg whites.

Stay away from fatty condiments, concentrating on extra virgin olive oil. If possible, augment the number of daily meals from the traditional 3 to 5 or 6, avoiding big meals and reducing per-meal quantity.

Remember that every meal should be composed of the correct proportions of protein, fats and carbohydrates.

Phase 3: Over the following 4-6 weeks, gradually reduce (by about 10%) your calorie intake, while maintaining a good balance of protein, fats and carbohydrates for each meal.
A good strategy is to encycle consumption of carbohydrates:
1. Day one: reduce the intake of CHO to only 100 grams, while at the same time augmenting the proteic quota of about 40-50 grams.
2. Day two: consume an average quantity of 200 grams of CHO, with a normal proteic quota.
3. Day three: aument carbohydrates to about 300 grams.

In this way one stimulates the metabolism, as well as the resinthesis of muscular glycogen.

The ideal would be to manage to have the first two days at low and medium CHO intake coincide with the more intense training regimens in order to favor the use of fat as ‘fuel’; while the third day (rich in CHO) will fall on a rest or light training day, to facilitate the restoring of glycogen in the muscles.

jhcakilmer
02-23-2007, 02:22 PM
The food pyramid:

all about massive consumption.

amerliN

Dude, I don't know what you eat, but even though it looks like a lot of servings, those servings are really small. I'm a big guy (210lbs, 6'3", 12-14% BF) and I eat probably twice what they recommend easily, especially if I do some long rides. I'd say the biggest problem with the Food Pyramid is that the portions are not correctly, well.....portioned...they're too small.

Also, I'd agree with Ginger that veggies should balance more with grains, but if your riding a lot you need some of those CHO. Remember whole grains, not simple sugars, like white rice......go for the brown rice.