PDA

View Full Version : the sad tale of the bathroom scale

Climb01742
02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
this has been an odd winter. for the first time in 3 years, i'm not training for mt washington. i have no training goal. so i've found it harder to go out to ride in any and all weather. i've found it easier to eat that extra piece of cake (or two.) i've focused on rehab workouts with a trainer at the gym. i can do more chin-ups than ever before, squat more than ever before and i'm standing up straighter than ever before. but i've ridden less than in any winter i can remember for quite awhile. without a goal i feel a little lost, directionless. and my bathroom scale is haunting me. without MW looming on the horizon, i thought this winter would feel, i dunno, freer. now it just feels fatter. pushing iron is no substutute for pushing the big ring, least not satisfaction-wise. please, someone tell me you're going through the same thing. i yearn for warmer longer days to ride more but i also dread the beginning a bit too. i feel stronger but less fit, if you see what i mean. maybe its just the february blues. anyone else blue?

Tom
02-22-2007, 01:54 PM
Looking forward to a day above freezing and no projects crashing and burning so I can get back out on the road for four or five hours.

It's only a week or two until we'll be able to get on the road most days every week. It's coming.

Ginger
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
i thought this winter would feel, i dunno, freer. now it just feels fatter. pushing iron is no substutute for pushing the big ring, least not satisfaction-wise. please, someone tell me you're going through the same thing. i yearn for warmer longer days to ride more but i also dread the beginning a bit too. i feel stronger but less fit, if you see what i mean. maybe its just the february blues. anyone else blue?

I've gone through the same thing six times James...

I can say that even though I work out in PT three times a week with weights and I know my scale is telling me I have more muscle mass (loosing inches but gaining weight ugh) I still don't feel as fit as I do when I'm riding. *even* if we include a cardio component...it just isn't the same. I look fatter and I feel fatter even if the scale and tape are telling me different.

Don't worry though. Once you get on the bike again all that work you've been doing to straighten yourself out will show in riding stronger. Really it is worth it!

gasman
02-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm pink after climbing out of the shower,and I'm changing my name to fat gasman in honor of not-so-fat Robert.
I do find it hard to get motivated when there is no clear goal for the year, I seem to just get through my workouts and rides.
So-in short, it is easy to feel adrift this time of year.

Fat Robert
02-22-2007, 02:25 PM
i still don't know what happened

i trained twice a day all fall and winter

in september i was 163 and 7% fat

now i'm 173 and 8% fat

so a year from now i'll be 185, right?

SoCalSteve
02-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Same here...

For years Sherry and I coached (and mentored) Team In Training events year round. We had goals to stay in shape (for the Century rides and the participants). Now we have no REAL goals to train for.

We still go for nice 25-35 mile bike rides, with a 60 miler thrown in on occassion...

I'm with ya!

Steve

AgilisMerlin
02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
my main goal this winter was to loose weight, not get fit. i ride outside almost everyday, or on the rollers, but very little compared to spring,summer,and fall hours.

i have achieved the goal.

i don't eat that much.

amerliN

Kevan
02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I tend to exercise a lot less and the munching seemingly increases. Latent hybernation maybe? I dunno. I get home from the office and I'm thinking food...food...food for the orifice. Arrrrgghhhh!!!

I don't usually start my cycle commuting until May, but I'm thinking I might start sooner now that the sun is starting to stick around a bit longer.

davids
02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
...now it just feels fatter. pushing iron is no substutute for pushing the big ring, least not satisfaction-wise. please, someone tell me you're going through the same thing. i yearn for warmer longer days to ride more but i also dread the beginning a bit too. i feel stronger but less fit, if you see what i mean. maybe its just the february blues. anyone else blue?
James,

I was feeling something similar this morning on the trainer, grunting through another interval, staring across the basement at my bikes. I tried to remember the physical sensation, the joy of the bike on the road. No dice...

But I know that warmer, lighter days are coming, and that I'll be on the road soon.

In the meantime, mountain biking provides a reasonable substitute. But it's not the same.

jeffg
02-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I have been too stressed out and overwhelmed to exercise much and have been relaxing by drinking a glass or two of Zinfandel at night with my wife once the kids are in bed instead of working out.

I am overweight and am now going to start a separate thread for help since i can't imagine getting down to weight other than through food poisoning.

As for a goal: Get one. I know this is futile, but I reiterate my plug for a gran fondo. If you are going to Italy this summer why not? You have done the toughest climb, why not ride the equivalent of a mountain stage.

Ray
02-22-2007, 03:08 PM
I've been less hard-core about riding in bad weather this winter than I can remember. I bought a set of Assos really really really warm bib tights last summer on sale in anticipation of riding in the cold, but I've been really wimping out and haven't ridden in anything below freezing. Which means I haven't ridden in about three weeks and probably only a half dozen times or so this year. I've never worn the tights - anybody wanna buy a set of unused Assos bib tights?

Yesterday was the first nice day in a while and I got out for an easy 30ish mile ride and I really felt the lack of condition. The first 20 miles I could barely remember how I was supposed to work this odd contraption, then I finally got into a rhythm and felt good for about five miles, then I was wasted for the last five or so. And I was going waaaaaaay too slow to be wasted even on a much longer ride.

I don't think it's lack of goals - I've never really had any. I think it's just changing priorities, realizing that I've got nothing to prove to myself on a bike, and just riding when I want to. Which was a reasonable amount last year and probably will be again when it warms up some. But riding when body parts start hurting from the cold just doesn't appeal anymore. Or at least not at the moment.

Or maybe its just February - the worst month of the year for me on a relatively consistent basis.

-Ray

Bradford
02-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Baby plus back on the road for work...up 25 pounds.

Being in shape is just a distant memory...

rsl
02-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Arghgh, I wish I had read this thread 20 minutes ago! One of my co-workers is out of the office today, and I just snuck into her room to grab one of the EL Fudge packages of cookies we keep on hand for lunch events. I was hungry and didn't have a healthy snack, and I ate WAAAY too many little fudge-covered elves.

January and February have always been depressing months for me, but this year I'm coming out of the winter just a little more fit than normal. I discovered the erg in the gym, and it's helped me drop a few pounds in the last several weeks. Bring on March though, because I'm starting to lose all motivation for indoor workouts!

Johny
02-22-2007, 03:25 PM
this has been an odd winter. for the first time in 3 years, i'm not training for mt washington. i have no training goal. so i've found it harder to go out to ride in any and all weather. i've found it easier to eat that extra piece of cake (or two.) i've focused on rehab workouts with a trainer at the gym. i can do more chin-ups than ever before, squat more than ever before and i'm standing up straighter than ever before. but i've ridden less than in any winter i can remember for quite awhile. without a goal i feel a little lost, directionless. and my bathroom scale is haunting me. without MW looming on the horizon, i thought this winter would feel, i dunno, freer. now it just feels fatter. pushing iron is no substutute for pushing the big ring, least not satisfaction-wise. please, someone tell me you're going through the same thing. i yearn for warmer longer days to ride more but i also dread the beginning a bit too. i feel stronger but less fit, if you see what i mean. maybe its just the february blues. anyone else blue?

Time to buy a MeiVici!

nick0137
02-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Because I got injured in October (cross racing, it's for fools) I didn't start my winter training until the week before Christmas. Way, way overweight. Lost 8 kilos (17+ pounds for most of you guys) since then. Still have a fair way to go to be ready to race properly after Mallorca training camp just after Easter but this is the fastest move towards fitness I can remember in a long while. I was grovelling only a few weeks ago and now seem to be going nicely. Jan the Pie Boy knows things about training, you know.

coylifut
02-22-2007, 03:54 PM
It's good to get a little fat in the winter. That's why God made cake.

I know you've all heard me say this before, but having a base in other activities during the dead of winter is key. Lifting, rowing the erg, running - all those things are good. Will it directly help your cycling? Absolutely. The reason why is it will directly help your head and that in turn helps your cycling. If all you do is cycle and you get snowed in for 2 weeks, what are going to do, spin on your torture machine-alone in the basement watching stage 17 of the 1988 tour for the 50th time? No. Because your body is pre adapted to other movements you can add an extra day of lifting, rowing, running, cx skiing...That way, you keep the rhythm of working out, the weight down, feeling good about yourself and when you do get out on the bike, you'll feel great.

When I hear people tell me about 5 hour training sessions 4 days a week, I'm the opposite of impressed. I applaud their dedication, but I think it's quite mis-guided.

stevep
02-22-2007, 04:06 PM
It's good to get a little fat in the winter. That's why God made cake.

I know you've all heard me say this before, but having a base in other activities during the dead of winter is key. Lifting, rowing the erg, running - all those things are good. Will it directly help your cycling? Absolutely. The reason why is it will directly help your head and that in turn helps your cycling. If all you do is cycle and you get snowed in for 2 weeks, what are going to do, spin on your torture machine-alone in the basement watching stage 17 of the 1988 tour for the 50th time? No. Because your body is pre adapted to other movements you can add an extra day of lifting, rowing, running, cx skiing...That way, you keep the rhythm of working out, the weight down, feeling good about yourself and when you do get out on the bike, you'll feel great.

When I hear people tell me about 5 hour training sessions 4 days a week, I'm the opposite of impressed. I applaud their dedication, but I think it's quite mis-guided.

im with this. anything is just as good as riding.
what about thinking about the concord tt this summer?
some good local group rides?
a few races?
comeon man...kick yourself in the arse
good goal in that. local, etc, etc

Grant McLean
02-22-2007, 04:10 PM
pushing iron is no substutute for pushing the big ring, least not satisfaction-wise. please, someone tell me you're going through the same thing. i yearn for warmer longer days to ride more but i also dread the beginning a bit too. i feel stronger but less fit, if you see what i mean. maybe its just the february blues. anyone else blue?

You may surprise yourself when it's spring time again. I do mostly strength
work for jan into early march, with only 2 indoor bike workouts per week
in between. My legs feel heavy and tired most of the time, and i constantly
wonder what i'm doing on this program, and have no real outdoor base line
reality check for about 2 months now.

Meanwhile, it was mild here yesterday, I had the bike at work, so when I was late
leaving to meet some friends for dinner, I hopped on the bike, and gave it some
gas to get there on time. I had about a 7km ride to get there, with a pretty
good size hill to climb. Geeze... i was flying. Totally shocking sensations
coming back from my legs. I felt good, really good. I was amazed. Maybe
I am on the right track afterall. Hang in there buddy!!

g

lemondsteel
02-22-2007, 04:39 PM
The way I figure it.......... I've gained 7 lbs and lost 5 pounds of muscle mass!
In my book that's 12 lbs of something I don't want! Everyday while at work I do about 30+ flights of stairs..... hoping it will keep my legs down to a low scream next week when I resume the tucked position.
We shall see..............

bcm119
02-22-2007, 05:38 PM
It sounds like you may be in a pretty good position actually. You're getting some imbalances worked out, gaining some strength, and mentally you'll be more than ready to go when the ice melts. Set a goal for mid or late summer, maybe a TT or local race- something out of your comfort zone. I bet you surprise yourself. And quit looking at the scale!

shinomaster
02-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Climb get a cross bike. It's fun to race in the fall......you can have the whole year to get ready.
Unless you are racing or climbing Mt. Washinton....so what. Enjoy life. THere is no reason to suffer, and pass on yummy food, or to ride in foul weather unless you really "need" to.

1centaur
02-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Here's a grab bag of thoughts - in sum, way cheaper than a bike:

Computrainer (hooks to computer, which you may need - best indoors not in the basement; I use a flat screen on a swing out monitor arm in front of my bars)
Cycling Peaks software
Ride the hundreds of courses (Ventoux is particularly tough)
Go to the Slopes of Europe site and pick out hills you like then program their profile into the CT so you can ride them (I have done Galibier, Glandon, Luz Ardiden and Mount Palomar in recent weeks).
Download performances to Cycling Peaks
Go "OMG I'm barely a Cat 5 after all these years"
Now you have a training goal. Or 3.

Adjunct: Get Garmin 305 and download your local ride routes to Computrainer - now you can ride them all year long.
Get the new scenery pack for Computrainer - it's a kick climbing 1400 meters and getting to see downtown Atlanta at the top.
You'll never get hill repeats in real life like you can on a Computrainer
You will emerge every spring better than the spring before.

Diet: Don't eat for 3 hours before bed - that alone works wonders.
If you're not hungry for fruit and Lara or Clif Nectar bars, you're not hungry. Only eat starchy carbs to fuel the Computrainer, not your sleeping hours.

Your goals (pre Computrainer) can be to eat only raw foods for 3 days, or no starch for a week. There are lots of goals to get you through the winter.

Consider full spectrum lightbulbs to help you get past the winter blues.

zank
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
James, I echo shino-the-great. But I don't think a cross bike will help motivate you at this moment. The Charge Pond Training Series starts March 10 in Plymouth. How about that? That may help you get out.

Do you ride with others this time of year? This really helps me. I don't think I would have rode a couple of Sundays ago unless I had fstrthnu and myette to go out with. But knowing that there are group rides on the weekends also helps keep me motivated during the week.

For me, I get a wierd joy out riding in the slush and cr*p this time of year. It keeps my head clear and focused. And nothing feels like that hot shower afterward and a nice :beer: or two for recovery.

Karin Kirk
02-23-2007, 12:06 AM
It will make you look 5-10 lbs lighter.

That's the real reason we all feel fat and doughy in February!

shinomaster
02-23-2007, 12:14 AM
It will make you look 5-10 lbs lighter.

That's the real reason we all feel fat and doughy in February!

Climb, It's only Feberuary...I'm dumpy too..you have all year to get svelt.