PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching and cycling...

Kevan
02-22-2007, 12:12 PM
Where is it? (http://www.geocaching.com/)

"Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache."

Cyclists, by their very nature, tend to be a geeky lot and this website and its activity appears to draw a similar-type crowd. I was wondering if any of you folk have joined the ranks of these thousands who think nothing of littering the countryside with little stashes of money and trinkets to be found by others?

Has anyone done this with bicycle specific caches?

Being semi-geekish myself, this sounds kinda fun.

Sandy
02-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I think that I was one of the very first individuals who tried geocaching. I was excited at first. I was the first person there. The reward was Kevan. Never again! Never again! :)

Sad Sandy

Kevan
02-22-2007, 12:37 PM
but even I'm suprised at the level of geekishness.

Ginger
02-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Kevan,

Evidently there are quite a few geocaching squirrels in the state park where my favorite mountain bike trail is located. The park doesn't mind them because, hey, they're more park passes sold...I've seen a few geocachers out on the trails cursing the leaves on the trees (some reception issues)...seems like a good family experience. The geocachers invade the mtb trail space a bit more than say...the mushroom hunters (those people generally aren't on the trails at all) and I like them better than the gun hunters (come up on a startled man on the trail with a rifle in his hands ready to shoot *something* that he hears coming up the trail just once and it cures you of riding the trails during hunting season...)
Yeah, Geocachers are ok.

I thought about dabbling in it...but it seems like just one more hobby and I have enough of those...and it seems just a step above ham radios in geek factor (some of my best friends are ham radio operators...but you can't deny that geek form...) Although...I think you'd fit right in.
:p

Have you been to the geocaching sites? There probably are geocaches in your neighborhood.

Kevan
02-22-2007, 12:55 PM
Have you been to the geocaching sites? There probably are geocaches in your neighborhood.

First I heard about this activity was this morning talking to an IT Auditor (a fully licensed geek) who is out here in Stamford CT visiting from LA. He and another colleague went for a hunt last night. It was all news to me.

I thought this might be a fun activity for the more casual cyclist. Imagine stashes of spare inner tubes, maps, Gu's, things like that, scattered on trails or quiet country roads. For the touring types this might add a level of fun spinning the miles away.

I did check the website for my neighborhood only to discover the place is a dumping ground! What a disgrace.

ss-jimbo
02-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Letterboxing seems much more interesting, no special equipment required, frequent riddle solving required instead.

FierteTi52
02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
I've tried it a few times snowshoeing in area parks. Kinda gives a purpose for the trek.
Jeff

gasman
02-22-2007, 01:51 PM
I've done it some with my son-kinda fun but not entrancing.

Ginger
02-22-2007, 02:03 PM
Sorta like golf but without the mowed greens and the sticks to throw...

a nice walk in the woods/park/neighborhood...

Bud
02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
...it seems just a step above ham radios in geek factor (some of my best friends are ham radio operators...but you can't deny that geek form...) Although...I think you'd fit right in.
:p

Admittedly, I am one of those ham radio geeks (less so now than in the past)and I have done some geocaching, but never from the bike. It sounds like a cool combo (maybe?). And you're right, Ginger- there's no denying that geek factor in ham radio OR in geocaching (or perhaps cycling, for that matter). One thing I've learned is that everyone in this world has their own corner of weirdness to occupy.

But at least I'm not a tri-geek ;)

Ginger
02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Admittedly, I am one of those ham radio geeks (less so now than in the past)and I have done some geocaching, but never from the bike. It sounds like a cool combo (maybe?). And you're right, Ginger- there's no denying that geek factor in ham radio OR in geocaching (or perhaps cycling, for that matter). One thing I've learned is that everyone in this world has their own corner of weirdness to occupy.

Bud,
Ham radio geekiness can go to such extremes...but they are the most helpful geeks I've ever met. If you familiarize yourself with the species you can spot them 50 yards away.

As I said, some of my rally friends are ham radio geeks, my first introduction to some of those who "live the life" was in the late 80s on the Press on Regardless road rally. We had a ham radio crew on a double stage (run both ways) who showed up in an old 70's Ford station wagon...these three guys were North Michigan woodsmen, big beards, thick red flannel coats, orange tooks, carharts, sorrels, and a 30' tower and huge antenna in the back of their wagon that they set up in the middle of nowhere so they could get their signal out over the hills and trees...by the start of the stage they had a big ole bon fire burning and they were broadcasting live from the middle of the keewenaw...
They were geeks in a big way.
But certainly not your stereo-typical radio geek.

palincss
02-22-2007, 05:53 PM

My son-in-law's into geocaching, and I've been along on a couple of excursions with him and his 6 yr. old daughter, once in NY, once in CT. If what I saw is at all representative of geocaching in general, I don't think it's a good fit for bicycles.

There was an awful lot of time hunting around either in the underbrush or along a fairly treacherous walking path that went along the edge of a decaying old dam, first trying to synch up the GPS and then trying to find the spot; probably a total of an hour each time. Riding a bike during the actual hunt would have been totally out of the question. Perhaps getting to the starting place might have been possible, but in the one case we were visiting a place 3 hrs drive from his home; in the second, it was a mile or two up a park road where bicycles were prohibited.

Somebody earlier mentioned "letterboxing" as a possible better fit. What is that?