PDA

View Full Version : Blinded by Science

Too Tall
02-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Time for new lenses or new glasses? I've used Oakley Pro M frames with the dark grey lenses for many yrs. The last Ultra race I was in my eyes went wonky on me and nearly lost vision for a period due to the slight distortion / mod. using the Oakley's. I attributed the vision issue to this plus the 50 hrs. of riding and have not had the prob. subsequent riding LIKE A NORMAL person over the last 3 yrs. ;) Because I've got some more ultra events in the offing am seeking good counsil from y'all. Should I have used Polarized lenses from the get go and if so than just buy new lenses for my still good Oakley's or am I barking up the wrong tree?

TIA

Tom
02-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Just my worthless opinion, but go polarized. When I wear glasses I do, but I also like the lightest lenses I can find because I get weirded out going from light to dark and back to light again. I hit things in the dark, so it's better for me that my glasses don't cause blackouts under trees and stuff. I get a surprising amount of relief from the glare with a polarized but not too dark lens.

My opinion is even more worthless when you consider that I've taken to wearing one of those sillly bike caps and no glasses lately because if it isn't raining or cold so the glasses fog up, I sweat like a pig and the inside of the lenses get soaked. One way or the other the glasses wind up practically useless. I really only wear them when there are a lot of bugs or its so bright out you really have to have something.

rwsaunders
02-22-2007, 08:26 AM
Unfortunately around here, I usually wear the clear lenses most of the time due to the total lack of sunshine. They provide good protection for road bugs and road debris, since I'm always drafting the boys in the front of the pack.

When Old Sol finally pokes through, I agree that the dark lenses make things a bit too vague in terms of locating potholes glass, and good looking chiquitas.

I have polarized prescription glasses for use off the bike and they're great for driving and around H20. I never thought of getting polarized cycling shades. Nice idea.

manet
02-22-2007, 08:33 AM
avoid the archibald come from behind pile-up trick _ get rear view mirror model.

stevep
02-22-2007, 08:41 AM
somebody gave me a pr of prescription oakleys...man i was tripping while walking around w/ the distortion. no peripheral vision, could only look straight ahead.
yes, they were my prescription. that lens just winds around...
regular prescription sunglasses for me.
better.

or, tt, you could get the new electric sunglasses...the servo motor attaches to your power meter and gets darker as the power increases until they get completely black if you hit 400watts for 5 minutes... in order to slow you down.
they are great...like electronic shifting... sweeeet.

crossjunkee
02-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Doesn't polarized make blacktop look funny, especially fresh blacktop with a tar(?) type patch? They do big time for me! I know there are different qualities in polarized lenses, so maybe a less expensive wouldn't have that effect on blacktop. They're great for driving to and from the mountains in bright sun with snow, and boating/any water sport. But I don't know about cycling in them. I would suggest an Iridium coated Oakley lense in your case. Easy to find, replace, borrow, and they're actually nice leneses.

When I was shopping for new polarized glasses last fall, I was amazed in the differences. REI had a nifty test box you looked into with the glasses on. The Smith's were by far the best, followed by Maui Jim, and then Oakleys. Ray Bans are nice too, but REI didn't have them. The $20. pair from the rack didn't even deserve to be called polarized. The better polarized lenses should be glass too, which is not good for cycling.

slowgoing
02-22-2007, 09:14 AM
I have no idea if polarized will help with what you experienced, but if you go polarized, I would recommend Bolles with the “sandstone” polarized lens. The lens has a pinkish hue and lets in a lot of light but still cuts the harshness out. Caution – as I assume would be the case with other polarized lenses, if you use them with a Polar 720 or 725 computer/powermeter, the display will appear warped.

Too Tall
02-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Hmmmm. I'll try some polarized shades and see if cycling is ok or not. Good observations, tanks.

Yep, I've found good sources for the Iridium Oakley's. What is the deal other than looking like a retro BA? Oakley has a chart showing how much light these allow compared to others and seems that the Iridium really is not doing much at all compared to the plain dark grey? wazaazapwiddat?

SteveP - checks in the mail...you just saved me a boatload on insurance. No wonder I've been running into walls :rolleyes:

telenick
02-22-2007, 09:24 AM
I like my Smith polarized sunglasses a lot ...rose lense. Polarized lenses can make reading an LCD screen very difficult. I don't use a cyclometer though.

What is "wonky"?

I once had an episode after a long ride in the desert heat (Fruita, CO) where my vision became increasingly distorted/obscurred by white spots that slowly took over my entire field of vision within 5 minutes of the onset. I was driving back home at the time. I had to pull over on the shoulder and rest for 15 minutes. Then I was better again.

I have 20/15 binocular vision. Never before and hopefully never again will that crazyness happen. I've read that it may have been what's referred to as a "silent migraine". There's no headache or pain associated with the loss of vision symtom. If it is a "silent migraine", then it was probably caused by a constriction of blood vessels that supply blood to the eye.

To me, that was "wonky"!

Awesome riding in Fruita nonetheless.

Sandy
02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Three suggestions:

1. Contact an ophthamologist and/or an optometrist.

2. Contact Oakley and speak to someone in the technical/developmental/research portion of the company.

3. Send me a large sum of cash for my first two wonderful suggestions.

Sunglass Sandy

sc53
02-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Telenick--that's an "opthalmic migraine," and I've had lots of them over the last 20+ yrs. No pain, just weird flashing/white lights that eventually obliterate most of your field of vision, then gradually recede over about 25-45 mins till you're normal again. I've never been given any treatment or meds for this but got a full brain and stroke workup the first time it happened (I was about 28 the first time). Has never happened while cycling or driving, thank goodness, because I'd definitely have to pull over and wait.

chrisroph
02-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Strange J, maybe that was a sign that you should give up ultras and take to the track?

Do you ever get migraines?

Polarized will help with eyestrain issues because they filter out much of the reflected light. They can make it a little hard to see your computer screen under some circumstances.

Your problem likely stemmed from the stress of ultra riding and could have been due to a number of factors including light, hydration, nutrition, sleep, fatigue, heat, etc. I bet the problem is unlikely to surface again but good on you for trying to eliminate variables.

Kevan
02-22-2007, 09:47 AM
50 hrs of riding, the problem with your vision probably has to do with the fact you're asleep.

Weird when I'd remove my Brikos and resume riding I felt that I was much closer to the ground than when wearing them. I suppose a warning was due. "Warning: distances appear further than they actual are." The effect was minor.

Until the lenses finally gave up the ghost, with seemingly no chance of finding replacement lenses, I loved the Brikos with their floating lens.

If someone knows different about Brinko replacements, I'm all eyes.

telenick
02-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Telenick--that's an "opthalmic migraine,"...

Thanks sc53. Good to have some company in misery. :)

Yep, you pretty much descibed it to the letter. I didn't have wait long before realizing I need to pull off the highway.

I once lived in Old Town Alexandria some 20+ years ago while going to undergrad ...the good old days. Rode my first generation stumpy across the Memorial Bridge to get to the other side.

The traffic in the DC area today is truly "wonky".

martianbait
02-22-2007, 10:47 AM
I'd listen to Sandy, if you can afford his fee.

Otherwise, I'll cast another vote for Smith polarized. They do me well.

djg
02-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I've had all sorts of things, no real vision problems, and no 50 hour rides. Still, I've had pretty good luck with the Bolle polarized lenses I've tried (non-prescription). Look around and you might find some for 40 bucks or so on sale (Bolle are always on sale somewhere) and you could just try them. If they work, they work, and if you don't love them, you have a reasonably priced pair of backup shades.

If you have any serious issues apart from moments of extreme fatigue, you shoud see a doc.

Too Tall
02-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Bambi checks in the mail Oakley decided to quit the sunshade business and put all efforts into the Halaal Meat biz instead saying it was less risky than going toe to toe with you ;)

No migrains ever however I've had those white spot floater symptoms before hmmm.

Yes to the Bolles and Yes to more track racing...just as soon as we get back from *Elite Tour...can't wait...for both :) *Side Note, wifey "Queen" is riding Elite Tour on tandem with me (back story)...many of the Elite Tour riders are on an email list where we banter...when I mentioned "Queen" and I blah blah blah one of the riders mistakenly said "too bad there weren't any women on the Elite Tour". So what's a big skirt wearing fella to do? Mess with his mind or let the real "Queen" settle this? BBDave sorry present company excepted.

slowgoing
02-22-2007, 01:53 PM
flashing lights can also be a sign of a tearing or detaching retina so take them seriously.

Telenick--that's an "opthalmic migraine," and I've had lots of them over the last 20+ yrs. No pain, just weird flashing/white lights that eventually obliterate most of your field of vision, then gradually recede over about 25-45 mins till you're normal again. I've never been given any treatment or meds for this but got a full brain and stroke workup the first time it happened (I was about 28 the first time). Has never happened while cycling or driving, thank goodness, because I'd definitely have to pull over and wait.

Tom
02-22-2007, 01:58 PM
Telenick--that's an "opthalmic migraine," and I've had lots of them over the last 20+ yrs. No pain, just weird flashing/white lights that eventually obliterate most of your field of vision, then gradually recede over about 25-45 mins till you're normal again.

I wondered what that was. I get crinkly flashing prismatic lights starting at the outside and working its way toward the middle in a ring. Usually it's a couple hours after a big effort and I'm somewhat dehydrated. I like hallucinations so I kind of enjoy them.

DRZRM
02-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I got a pair of Oakley Half jackets with the XLJ prescription lenses, and got the transition lenses. I love them (though I would not look forward to riding into a dark tunnel from a bright afternoon). I think they are incredible when it comes to peripheral vision, so much so that I play squash in them, because my normal glasses distort to much around the edges and you always have balls coming in from over your shoulder. I like that much better than contact lenses with clear goggles.

They are also great on the bike. I imagine if your eyes were much worse than mine it would be a problem (they can only take a certain thickness) but for me they have dealt with years of messing around with inserts and/or contact lenses.

They are pretty expensive, but hey...it's the Serotta site.

I think they can take Rx from +2.00 to -3.00. If you are in that range, they are great!

http://oakley.com/brochures/eyewear/half_jacket/

Too Tall
02-22-2007, 05:15 PM
DRZRM - I don't wear a prescription however the transitions are interesting. Am most concerned to really protect my eyes over so many hr.s this time.

DRZRM
02-22-2007, 08:33 PM
Well I find their non Rx lenses to be very high quality too. I've never had to look through them for that sort of time, but I think their optics are very good. That said, this thread started with trouble with your last Oakleys, so who am I to give advice. For me to wear them for 50 hours, I'd have to sleep in them...twice.

Too Tall
02-23-2007, 06:52 AM
I STOLE a set of the Black Iridium lenses which transmit something like 9% compared to the approx. 14% of the gray lens I was using. Hmmm. This looks great.

Archibald
02-23-2007, 07:27 AM
I once had an episode after a long ride in the desert heat (Fruita, CO) where my vision became increasingly distorted/obscurred by white spots that slowly took over my entire field of vision within 5 minutes of the onset. I was driving back home at the time. I had to pull over on the shoulder and rest for 15 minutes. Then I was better again.

I have 20/15 binocular vision. Never before and hopefully never again will that crazyness happen. I've read that it may have been what's referred to as a "silent migraine". There's no headache or pain associated with the loss of vision symtom. If it is a "silent migraine", then it was probably caused by a constriction of blood vessels that supply blood to the eye.

I experienced that once. It happened just after drinking of a bottle of felony juice and just before I threw up what looked like an oyster bed.

Good times. Good times.

:banana:

Oh, and you Denver peeps should contact fellow cyclist Brett at Sports Optical (http://www.sportsoptical.com/) for all your eyeware needs. He's a god at putting perscription lenses in sunglass frames where you'd normally have to use funky inserts.

sspielman
02-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Sunglasses or "sports glasses" are every bit an individual preference item as saddles or shoes.....I have had a couple of pairs that were EXHAUSTING to wear because the would not stay in place...and I would subconscoiusly scrroch up my nose in an attempt to hold them in place.....sheesh.. I have found that the Oakley lenses are quite good from an optical standpoint, but they score very poorly for durability...and the same can be said of their frames. All around, I find it difficult to beat Rudy Project..Recently, however, I got a pair of Spiuk glasses. For me the fit is the best that I have had in years...and I find the lenses to be the near equal of Oakleys.....