PDA

View Full Version : Frame finish options

British
02-21-2007, 04:54 AM
A frame finish options question.

When Serotta list the frame finish option "brushed ti" does this mean a polished finish?

Would you recommend either matte with polished decals or polished with matte decals?

Serotta PETE
02-21-2007, 06:02 AM
brushed means the polished. (it is not chrome like as in Litespeed but very nice)

As to which is nicer looking it is really personal.
Search on DBRK under Serotta and he has a nice one with matte. The one I am getting from "SEROTTA ANDREW design" is polished....

also I have a Legend Ti in for sale that is polished with panels (might give you some ideas of which you like.

have fun picking.

PETE

When Serotta list the frame finish option "brushed ti" does this mean a polished finish?

Would you recommend either matte with polished decals or polished with matte decals?

British
02-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Thanks, but what is the Serotta Andrew design?

Jeff N.
02-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Serotta's use of the word POLISHED is BRUSHED to anyone else in the business. When I think polished, I think mirror-like...you know, like you can comb your hair in it or whatever. It is indeed a brushed Ti finish on what they call polished. Matte is matte, though, a finish similar to, say, an Indy Fab or Moots. Jeff N.

Serotta PETE
02-21-2007, 10:27 AM
I apologize. It is a "one off" randoneer type bike (no internal wires for lights) made of ti and carbon fork...very similar to a CRT type geo/frame that was offered a few years ago.

Regards PETE

Thanks, but what is the Serotta Andrew design?

dave thompson
02-21-2007, 10:28 AM

Here's an example of Serotta's polished finish with matte 'decals'.

British
02-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Here's an example of Serotta's polished finish with matte 'decals'.

Thanks for the pic dave.

Is it true that once a frame has been polished it can't then later be painted? I'm sure I remember a thread that touched on this issue. Either polished/ can't then be painted, or matte blasted/ can't then be painted. I think I have it wrapped around my neck...as usual :-)

CNY rider
02-21-2007, 02:15 PM

At the Open House 2 years ago I saw a full bike done exactly like what Dave posted (Forumite perhaps?). I remember very few other bikes I saw there but that one still stands out for me. It's a spectacular finish.

Serpico
02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
the 'virtual paintshop' is just a java applet... right?

if someone has this cached could they run it from their desktop?

dave thompson
02-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Another pic of my Legend that was 3/4 matte with polished decals and 1/4 polished with matte decals.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/9074/minilegendframeng3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

rdparadise
02-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Dave:

That's an interesting looking finish. I don't think I would have ever thought of that combination. I'm sure it's one of a kind.

Now, on another note, I hope this isn't hanging in the barn waiting to be built up. :no: :)

Bob

dave thompson
02-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Dave:

That's an interesting looking finish. I don't think I would have ever thought of that combination. I'm sure it's one of a kind.

Now, on another note, I hope this isn't hanging in the barn waiting to be built up. :no: :)

Bob
Nope, sold it last year.

big shanty
02-21-2007, 02:54 PM
Dang, Dave....that was a tasty looking frame.

steelrider
02-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Nope, sold it last year.

He did indeed sell it at a very good price. As soon as I sell my Seven Axiom, I will swap the parts and build this beauty up.

Serotta PETE
02-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Either finish can be later painted....
The problem is that "once" the ti is painted, Serotta does not do a "polish" (taking paint off and polishing).

PETE

Thanks for the pic dave.

Is it true that once a frame has been polished it can't then later be painted? I'm sure I remember a thread that touched on this issue. Either polished/ can't then be painted, or matte blasted/ can't then be painted. I think I have it wrapped around my neck...as usual :-)

SoCalSteve
02-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Either finish can be later painted....
The problem is that "once" the ti is painted, Serotta does not do a "polish" (taking paint off and polishing).

PETE

But Joe Bell will. Actually, not so sure about the polishing part, but he will take paint off and leave raw Ti. I had this done on my Hors Cat. Went from 3/4-1/4 to 1/2 paint-1/2 raw Ti.

Looks great!

Steve

Jeff N.
02-21-2007, 07:59 PM
But Joe Bell will. Actually, not so sure about the polishing part, but he will take paint off and leave raw Ti. I had this done on my Hors Cat. Went from 3/4-1/4 to 1/2 paint-1/2 raw Ti.

Looks great!

SteveJB knows finish people who'll do whatever you desire, as far as Ti polishing/brushing, in addition to whatever paint scheme he does for you. Jeff N.