PDA

View Full Version : Noxzema for the butt.. Learned something today

RoosterCogset
01-03-2021, 07:55 PM
About 1/4 the price per oz as most chamois creams, and evidently not a new concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qtAw3_kspQ&ab_channel=ChrisHorner

54ny77
01-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Yep been using that for years. Inexpensive, effective, cooling effect with the menthol.

I haven't tried any sort of modern chamois creams in at least 10 years. Have they gotten meaningfully better?

ElvisMerckx
01-03-2021, 08:18 PM
Noxema was the go to chamois cream long before boutique butt creams were a thing. Good stuff.

MikeD
01-03-2021, 09:01 PM
I use Udderly Smooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dave thompson
01-03-2021, 09:34 PM
I use Udderly Smooth

Yup, Udderly Smooth is like Noxema without the menthol. Good stuff.

joosttx
01-03-2021, 09:36 PM
yep, its a dirty little secret. No comtaints from me.

ridethecliche
01-03-2021, 09:54 PM
Might have to add this to my repertoire of using mane and tail for lotion. Stuff works realll good and my hands get awful in the winters!

Nomadmax
01-04-2021, 03:45 AM
Married to a Cajun girl so I discovered this:

https://www.buttpaste.com/diaper-rash-remedies/original-butt-paste

Available at any WallyWorld.

oldpotatoe
01-04-2021, 06:12 AM
I use this below...not as greasy as Bag Balm, smells better due oil of clove. Medicated..works great. Tin this size is about $8. Sold it in the shop. Also good for torn up hands.

Peter P.
01-04-2021, 06:17 AM
Coming from a former pro such as Chris Horner, that validates the fact your don't need the expensive, cycling-specific creams for shorts.

2metalhips
01-04-2021, 06:42 AM
Noxzema user for 35 years, no issues.

PTinz
01-04-2021, 06:43 AM
As a long time Bag Balm user, going to give this a try-no issues with BB, but less greasy is always better I suppose? Never tried Noxema, but maybe it's time. Cheers to the PL for all the information available, such a great community!

I use this below...not as greasy as Bag Balm, smells better due oil of clove. Medicated..works great. Tin this size is about $8. Sold it in the shop. Also good for torn up hands.

Elefantino
01-04-2021, 06:51 AM
As a long time Bag Balm user, going to give this a try-no issues with BB, but less greasy is always better I suppose? Never tried Noxema, but maybe it's time. Cheers to the PL for all the information available, such a great community!

Bag Balm's greasy consistency was great for leather chamoises. With synthetic pads, not so much.

KonaSS
01-04-2021, 06:54 AM
Another Udderly Smooth user here. Have to buy the small tubs. Anything in a squeeze or pump seems like a thinner product.

Have a tin of Bag Balm that I use when I know it is going to be wet or the couple of times when I have had a problem forming down there.....the Bag Balm is certainly longer lasting, but messier.

Can't imagine those folks that are using those tiny tubs of $30 chamois cream. I have tried and noticed no difference.

rccardr
01-04-2021, 07:05 AM
A&D Ointment. Great for sensitive nips as well.

CNY rider
01-04-2021, 07:18 AM

Great stuff, made locally and we ride past there all the time.

CNY rider
01-04-2021, 07:20 AM
Married to a Cajun girl so I discovered this:

https://www.buttpaste.com/diaper-rash-remedies/original-butt-paste

Available at any WallyWorld.

I rode a rental bike with a horrible saddle in Arizona a couple of years back.
My ass was like raw hamburger afterwards so I slinked to the drug store and picked up this very product.
Discreetly snuck it into our hotel room, put it on and was feeling the relief when my daughters found it and started laughing hysterically about dad needing to use diaper paste!
Oh the humanity!

Dave
01-04-2021, 08:49 AM
I like non-greasy Cetaphil moisturizer. I apply a small amount to me, not the pad.

https://www.cetaphil.com/us/product/moisturizing-cream

zap
01-04-2021, 09:50 AM
About 1/4 the price per oz as most chamois creams, and evidently not a new concept

I used Noxzema years ago when I first started racing. Switched to Assos when I started wearing Assos with real chamois in the late 80's. Used Assos ever since until....

.....purchased a jar of Noxzema last month and noticed an improvement. Will see how it goes the next few months.

C40_guy
01-04-2021, 10:24 AM
Or, at $5 per oz...

MikeD
01-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Another Udderly Smooth user here. Have to buy the small tubs. Anything in a squeeze or pump seems like a thinner product.

Have a tin of Bag Balm that I use when I know it is going to be wet or the couple of times when I have had a problem forming down there.....the Bag Balm is certainly longer lasting, but messier.

Can't imagine those folks that are using those tiny tubs of $30 chamois cream. I have tried and noticed no difference.

Udderly Smooth also has a specific chamois cream. It's more expensive than the regular Udderly Smooth. I tried it and didn't see any difference between it and the regular.

Clean39T
01-04-2021, 10:38 AM
Use what you want, just don't double-dip.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jamesdak
01-04-2021, 10:43 AM

:hello::hello::hello:

Ewiser
01-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Tried Noxema after watch this video when it was first posted a couple of month ago. Works great with the synthetic chamois. I was using Bag balm. It’s great stuff especially when you are riding indoors.

KonaSS
01-04-2021, 12:21 PM
Udderly Smooth also has a specific chamois cream. It's more expensive than the regular Udderly Smooth. I tried it and didn't see any difference between it and the regular.

I tried it too. The biggest difference I noticed was that the specific chamois cream was more expensive!:banana:

cgolvin
01-04-2021, 12:42 PM
I always apply the stuff, whatever brand, to me and not the pad, haven't had any issues.
Anyone done both and find one method superior to the other?

veloduffer
01-04-2021, 01:52 PM
We used A&D diaper cream when I was racing. Cheap and worked well.

54ny77
01-04-2021, 01:54 PM
White Campy grease!

Kidding....

Gummee
01-04-2021, 05:17 PM
there's a DIY solution on the web somewhere.

Tea tree oil, polysporin/neosporin, and something else (eucarin?) all mixed up

I've got the eucarin, and can easily find the -sporin, but haven't looked for the tea tree oil

M

Louis
01-04-2021, 05:20 PM
I use Udderly Smooth

+1

Except for long rides, when I use "real" chamois cream.

C40_guy
01-04-2021, 05:23 PM
White Campy grease!

green Phil Wood Waterproof...

54ny77
01-04-2021, 05:38 PM
now that's nasty!

when i work on my bike and use the pw grease (current tube has to be at least a dozen years old, and still going strong) i have to blast my hands with 409 cleaner, then wash with dawn soap, and usually wash again in order to get the pw stink off. it's got some stuff in there that, well, works great as grease but sure ain't competing with calvin klein cologne on the smell scale. :banana:

green Phil Wood Waterproof...

9tubes
01-05-2021, 12:04 AM
I use Assos. It just works so well. I used plain lanolin for a while but went back to Assos.

There was a comment above about whether the cream should be applied to the pad or to the body. Chamois cream was invented back in the days when the pads were made of real chamois leather. When you put them in the wash the leather would come out stiff. It needed a lanolin-based cream to make the chamois leather soft again. I guess for that reason I've always put the cream on the pad.

It doesn't take very much. It's not cake frosting. Overdoing it is worse than under-doing it. There's no reason to do the whole pad either, just a nearly-invisible smear where the sit bones are and out to the edge of the pad.
The rest (fore and aft) can be left alone since there's no pressure there. If the no-pressure part of the pad is chafing then you don't need cream, you need a different brand of bibs.

A tub of Assos lasts me over 100 rides.

Louis
01-05-2021, 12:20 AM
There was a comment above about whether the cream should be applied to the pad or to the body. Chamois cream was invented back in the days when the pads were made of real chamois leather. When you put them in the wash the leather would come out stiff. It needed a lanolin-based cream to make the chamois leather soft again. I guess for that reason I've always put the cream on the pad.

The last time I ready the instructions on the Assos tub I'm pretty sure it said to put it on your skin, not the pad.

Edit - I found it:

https://www.excelsports.com/assets/gallery/104951-3.jpg

s4life
01-05-2021, 12:54 AM
Good to know, will def take a look at it. I've started getting pain down there after 2 weeks of continuous zwifting. Liking the app as it is easy to do efficient work outs, but the unnatural lack of movement could be really a deal breaker.

azrider
01-05-2021, 08:51 AM

:p:p

https://i.imgflip.com/4smi72.jpg

Rpoole8537
01-05-2021, 08:54 AM
I use Udderly Smooth

+1 :banana:

zap
01-05-2021, 09:01 AM
Chamois cream was invented back in the days when the pads were made of real chamois leather. When you put them in the wash the leather would come out stiff. It needed a lanolin-based cream to make the chamois leather soft again.

Correct. Back in the day chamois cream was applied directly to the hide.

hoonjr
01-05-2021, 09:48 AM
It doesn't take very much. It's not cake frosting. Overdoing it is worse than under-doing it. There's no reason to do the whole pad either, just a nearly-invisible smear where the sit bones are and out to the edge of the pad.
The rest (fore and aft) can be left alone since there's no pressure there. If the no-pressure part of the pad is chafing then you don't need cream, you need a different brand of bibs.

A tub of Assos lasts me over 100 rides.

You clearly never saw the Deutsche Telekom documentary Hell on Wheels. The amount of chamois cream the soigneur caked on Zabel's shorts almost made me gag.

BdaGhisallo
01-05-2021, 10:32 AM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DF4WR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Doc's chamois cream is very nice too. After using Assos cream for many years I tried this about two years ago and haven't bought any Assos since.

9tubes
01-05-2021, 12:27 PM
You clearly never saw the Deutsche Telekom documentary Hell on Wheels. The amount of chamois cream the soigneur caked on Zabel's shorts almost made me gag.

Yeah, I saw it! That was the basis for my comment that it's not cake frosting.

9tubes
01-05-2021, 12:33 PM
The last time I ready the instructions on the Assos tub I'm pretty sure it said to put it on your skin, not the pad.

Edit - I found it:

https://www.excelsports.com/assets/gallery/104951-3.jpg

Heresy! Applying to the pad was good enough for Bartali, Coppi, Merckx, Hinault, Indurain and...me. [I wrote that because it's the only time in history that I'm going to be in the same sentence with them.]

trener1
01-06-2021, 08:44 AM
Good to know, will def take a look at it. I've started getting pain down there after 2 weeks of continuous zwifting. Liking the app as it is easy to do efficient work outs, but the unnatural lack of movement could be really a deal breaker.

A few things to consider.
Get up out of the saddle every for 10-15 seconds every 15-20 minutes.
Get a rocker plate.
It's doable, I did 3.5 hours on Zwift on Sunday without any discomfort.

GParkes
01-07-2021, 03:45 PM
I have to do this..................

So, "thumbs up" to Noxzema, Butt Paste, Udder Balm, and.....................

skiezo
01-07-2021, 04:40 PM
I use a some stuff the my son makes in the summer out of some flower that he grows along with some other stuff. Not real sure what all the other stuff is but will find out.
It was originally made by the chemistry dept at Appalachian State for their cycling team.

Louis
01-07-2021, 07:53 PM
I use a some stuff the my son makes in the summer out of some flower that he grows along with some other stuff. Not real sure what all the other stuff is but will find out.

Hmmmm, "some flower?" Is that what he calls it?
Does it look like this, and have a strong smell?

https://cannabis-deliciousholding1.netdna-ssl.com/317-thickbox_default/early-bud-feminized.jpg

marciero
01-08-2021, 04:10 AM

I know the job description has an implicit, or maybe explicit, "other duties as necessary" open-endedness, but talk about above and beyond, esp for riders who fall on the "apply directly to skin" side of the divide. Or worse, who follow Chris Horners carmex protocol.