PDA

View Full Version : NiMH Battery Storage

TimB
02-20-2007, 08:40 AM
The creeping daylight has now made it possible for me to ride home in the evening without needing my headlight. Off to storage until next fall!

So - what's the best way to store the battery? Fully charged? Mostly discharged? Does it matter? Leave it plugged in the charger for 9 months?

I lost the friggin' manual, and have lost lead-acid batteries in the past from disuse. This is a more expensive system so I'd like not to need a replacement in the fall!

Sandy
02-20-2007, 08:46 AM
I have no clue as to the answer of your question. However, I do hope that all in your beautiful family are all doing well. I guess by now that Sophisticated Sophia is quite the little girl.

Sophisticated Sandy

Peter P.
02-20-2007, 08:51 AM
NimH batteries can be stored in EITHER state, charged or discharged; they will not acquire a battery charge "memory". They should be disconnected from their associated equipment during long term storage, however. Before put to use after long term storage, they should be given a full charge cycle.

Part of the reason NimH batteries are more expensive than Ni-Cd and lesser compositions is they deal with battery memory issues better.

Kevan
02-20-2007, 08:54 AM

stackie
02-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I thought that most expensive systems have a trickle charger, which should just keep batttery charged without overcharging. I've left my L and M charging for extended periods (weeks) without damage. I'd contact the manufacturer.

Jon

CNY rider
02-20-2007, 01:03 PM
I just got mine a few months ago and haven't had enough time to lose the directions yet.

They advise never to leave the battery in a discharged state.

Charge fully before use. They also say there is no harm in leaving the battery in the charger for long periods of time.