PDA

View Full Version : More food for your thought.

glc
02-18-2007, 10:53 AM
My friends have a few amazing restaurants in Brooklyn and a magazine which i shoot for, this being a recent image for it. Since every ones into photos and food this weekend. Grass fed lamb. I gave up the meat this year but i gotta say i find carcasses pretty damn interesting.

Archibald
02-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I do love the tasty animals!

If Dog hadn't intended for us to eat them he wouldn't have made them taste like meat.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

shinomaster
02-18-2007, 12:39 PM
I do love the tasty animals!

If Dog hadn't intended for us to eat them he wouldn't have made them taste like meat.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

dog? It goes like this. If we wen't supposed to eat animals then they wouldn't be made out of meat.

Archibald
02-18-2007, 12:54 PM
dog? It goes like this. If we wen't supposed to eat animals then they wouldn't be made out of meat.
My way IS the highway.

shinomaster
02-18-2007, 12:55 PM
My way IS the highway.

so you eat road kill?

Archibald
02-18-2007, 12:57 PM
so you eat road kill?
http://www.rru.com/contest/Images/rkcookbook.gif

Ginger
02-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Dunno what you're aim is, but it's good for people think about where their food comes from. So many people just stop at the McNugget and don't realize something was killed for that piece of greasy artery clogging junk.

Ginger
(former organic sheep and beef farmer...'ems good eat'n.)

Of course, your photo reminds me of when I was ...hmmm...somewhere between 9 and 12 and we were at the slaughterhouse picking up the liver from a cow we had "done." We always took a look at the hanging carcass to determine how long to let it hang before it went to the butcher (think aged beef) and to make sure the cow we sent was the cow we were getting back. The carcass halves are hung on tracks on hooks, sort of like drycleaning. They don't spin the whole lot around for you, but they would walk you out and and point out your cow on the hook. Walked around one corner and came face to face with the head pole...about 20 skinned cow heads on a pole waiting to be processed. It certainly made an impression....I think it was the eyes. But then...I knew where my food was coming from. I even knew it's name.

Tom
02-19-2007, 05:27 AM
One time we went down to Miller Biben's slaughter house in North Springfield to pick up one of our cows and there on top of a 55 gallon drum was a decapitated cow head. It was comical in a strange way.

That picture actually looks like the time one of the cows calved in the barnyard in the middle of a cold night. It was pretty bad, we should have had her inside, I'm not sure what happened. By morning the calf was as hard as a rock. Ground was, too. That was a difficult grave to dig. The thing that struck me was the color eyes are when they freeze, a very strange blue white.

Bibens also had their own form of extreme sport. You ever tried to get two piglets out of a pen when their mother's in it?

Ginger
02-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Bibens also had their own form of extreme sport. You ever tried to get two piglets out of a pen when their mother's in it?

If the piglets are shipping weight and the sow is around 700lbs and can bite a 2x4 in half in one bite...the answer is:
yes.

Although I always thought that that was less extreme sport and more attempted suicide...I guess that comes down to the same thing?

djg
02-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Dunno what you're aim is, but it's good for people think about where their food comes from. So many people just stop at the McNugget and don't realize something was killed for that piece of greasy artery clogging junk.

What the heck do they have to kill to make a McNugget? Surely not an actual chicken.