PDA

View Full Version : wobblenaught fit?

scrooge
02-17-2007, 06:07 PM
Anybody have experience with this fit system (http://wobblenaught.com) ? I'm looking to get my current bike dailed and get some better numbers for my new MTB, and right now its between this and a Serotta fit technician (CJ at Sportgarage, unless any locals want to recomend someone better). If I went with wobblenaught, I'd get it done here: http://probikecenter.com/home/index.php

Comments?

EdK
02-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Wobblenaught is good stuff, from what I have seen fit may be significantly different than a Serotta trained fitter. Wobblenaught obviously uses feed back from sensors attached to you in the pedaling motion to dial in optimum fit. Serrota fitter uses on bike (or fit cycle) measurements. I have seen numerous folks fit using both methods. In an unscientific and completely subjective analysis it seems that a Serotta fit tends to place the rider taller in the front end and further forward in relation to the crank center. Wobblenaught tends to place you further behind the cranks center in a more racer like position with a lower bar than saddle (somthing like Obtuse recomends). Really depends on what you were looking for. If you are racing I would pick Wobblenaught over the Serotta fitters I have seen (disclaimer here: the only Sertotta fitters I have seen tend to put bars and seat on level and are too far forward for my personal taste. I have never seen a Wobblenaght fit end up like that.

FATBOY
02-17-2007, 07:54 PM
I am a Serotta fitter, or whatever, at a store that leased space to a Wobblenaught fitter. He boasted that his fit would be worlds apart from what I did with my system. On many of his fits the saddle never moved, maybe a cleat would budge a mm. or so. From a powerplant perspective it never really moved things drastically. Where it would differ is that the system prescribes a range of bar drop based on the users end use (racing, touring what have you) so the option was open to go lower than you may end up with on some "Serotta" fits. The reach would rarely change, just the amount of drop. This particular fitter would often start them at the maximum amount of drop and coach them on how to maintain it. Many of the "Serotta" fits that I have seen take the opposite approach, start high and work on getting lower. A few of the racers that were set up with the wobblenaught fit were very sore in the hamstrings and lower backs at first but worked into it. So that was how it worked on the road. Using the same formula on the dirt never made that much sense to me in the Wasatch Mountains. Sure it was great for getting a hardtail up the hill in a big hurry but you had to take the bar drop recommendation with a grain of salt depending on the terrain YOU ride. If you race a hardtail or short travel fullsuspension it might work really well, but for all mountain and adventure trail riding you may be compromising all around performance for the sake of a super aggro climbing position with the Wobblenaught. Also, wobbelnaughts formulas will choke and cought at really relaxed seat angles like some trailbikes have and you will have a hard time actually using the information that the fit provides. PM me the type of riding you do and the type of bike you ride and maybe I can be a better help than this drunken babble suggests, I have alot of MTB experience as a racer/rider and sell more mountain bikes than you can shake a stick at :banana:

Ti-Boy
02-18-2007, 05:44 AM
My wife and I were fitted by Craig Upton in NYC using the Wobblenaught system. He lowered my bars considerably, raised my saddle considerably and moved my cleats back. He did much the same for my wife. I used his set up as the basis for my custom Parlee. Upton worked with me and directly with Parlee to dial in the bike. The fit and ride of the Parlee are amazing.

I did tweak his positioning a bit after about 500 test miles. I nudged up the bars and nudged down the saddle. I'm very happy with the fit and the experience.

My wife hated her new position during the fit. Upton asked for some trust and a promise to fix whatever bothered her after riding a bit. On the road, wife loves the new position and her riding improved as she is much more comfortable on the bike.

Like many fit systems, it is based on formulas and measurements. One must than rely/trust the fitter to deviate as needed. The system does seem designed for aggressive race positioning. I do not race, but have been comfortable on the the bike for up to 8 hours in the saddle.

Too Tall
02-18-2007, 05:23 PM
REGARDLESS of "thesystem" this business is about the who not that what dot period. Previous comment regards details of wobblenaught are misleading regards "recommended" dar drop etc. The fitter is ultimately who decides. The wobblenaught "system" per se is very solid....innnarighthands.

scrooge
02-18-2007, 06:59 PM
REGARDLESS of "thesystem" this business is about the who not that what dot period. Previous comment regards details of wobblenaught are misleading regards "recommended" dar drop etc. The fitter is ultimately who decides. The wobblenaught "system" per se is very solid....innnarighthands.

I think Nat Ross does them around here (or is an option). I think he knows a thing or two about cycling (and I'd like to think he knows somethign about fitting--but maybe that's assuming too much...)