PDA

View Full Version : birthday ride

Ken Robb
02-17-2007, 05:22 PM
so it being my 64th birthday I thought I should ride my age. I took the Kirk for Ahi tacos and a Copper Hook Ale (a New release and pretty good). Once we get over 60 we can ride our age metrically right? Anyway, it was sunny and 70ish degrees with little wind. That was a treat because the last 3 miles home are up a slight grade and almost always into the wind. When I ride south toward Mission Bay in the morning I feel like Lance zipping along at an effortless 25mph. Coming home I'm usually grinding to maintain 12mph and thinking I should have turned around sooner. :beer:

rwsaunders
02-17-2007, 05:35 PM
More power to you. I just wish the temp would match my age at this stage of winter.

Dan Le foot
02-17-2007, 05:41 PM
so it being my 64th birthday I thought I should ride my age. I took the Kirk for Ahi tacos and a Copper Hook Ale (a New release and pretty good). Once we get over 60 we can ride our age metrically right? Anyway, it was sunny and 70ish degrees with little wind. That was a treat because the last 3 miles home are up a slight grade and almost always into the wind. When I ride south toward Mission Bay in the morning I feel like Lance zipping along at an effortless 25mph. Coming home I'm usually grinding to maintain 12mph and thinking I should have turned around sooner. :beer:
Congrats Ken.
I did my birthday ride on Valentines Day (59). We also ride our age on the birthday. The rule is we get to pick the ride but if we exceed the milage by more than .10 of a mile, we have to start over. I had to walk the last 200 feet back to the motorhome.(-;
We rode Matezumas grade and Yaqui Pass out here in the Borrego desert.
4600' of climbing. We've been here or 3 weeks. lots of cycling and hiking.
C'mon out. 78 and sunny for the rest of the week.
Dan

Ken Robb
02-17-2007, 06:04 PM
were you wearing your hiking foot or your pedaling foot? :rolleyes: :beer:

Dan Le foot
02-17-2007, 06:56 PM
were you wearing your hiking foot or your pedaling foot? :rolleyes: :beer:
Same foot for now Ken.
I'm ambidexerous. :p
Dan

dbrk
02-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Today it crept over 20d for the first time all week and the wind blew gently. I didn't need to wage constant battle against the drifts threatening to refill the driveway, as I did yesterday, hauling out the ATV to plough only to be blown under in a few hours. I didn't get to ride (weak me) or have Ahi tacos, but I did play with bike parts (albeit ever so briefly since I am translating Abhinavagupta's commentary on the Bhagavadgita for publication soon!!) and made a point of chanting Happy Birthday to my dear pal Ken in Sanskrit. Did you hear me, brother? Ken and wife Lesley stop in to see us in the Finger Lakes yearly now and it's a highlight of our spring/summer. I know Ken for ages now---preForum as an iBOB---but it is here we more frequently connect. Thanks to Serotta again for giving friends a place to be friends!

Happy birthday, pappy! ;-)

dbrk

wdlewis
02-17-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm 63 and my goal when I got my Serotta Ottrott this July was to ride my age. I did it in October. Because of the turnaround point at 33.5 miles had food, water, and a lakeside picnic location, I decided to stretch the ride to 67 miles. The ride was stressing in that the temperature went from cold to very warm necessitating stripping off layers and finding a way to pack everything in pouches. The last 10 miles were difficult, but I made it.

My goal this summer is to do a Century. I did a lot of these when I was in my 30s, but didn't ride from age 50 to age 63. I was too busy making money.

It hurts my ego to see the young people whizzing by me, however, I'm still enjoying pumping away and enjoying every minute. The Ottrott has a lot to do with the enjoyment.

Karin Kirk
02-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Happy Birthday!
Sounds like a perfect ride you had!

coylifut
02-17-2007, 07:57 PM
you and the Cheif are my heroes. Maybe we can catch a ride some time.

:beer:

Ginger
02-17-2007, 08:59 PM
Happy Birthday! Glad you enjoyed your ride!
ginger

weisan
02-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Ken-pal, the kirk couldn't have come at a better time. A toast to you, dear pal.

Wei San

obtuse
02-17-2007, 09:49 PM
ken-

i'm so jealous i just booked a flight to california. i've been riding on the trainer for three weeks straight in the evening (the worst...i hate training at night even more than training indoors i consider training indoors something to do only when there is no paint to watch drying....) and on thursday night i rolled my ankle messing around with some pals half in the bag in the snow and ice* and now my ankle is a gigantic purple mess.....

so happy birthday you lucky guy!

obtuse

*in the future i will live up to proper marxian precepts on the nature of snow and ice, to quote marx, "ladies and gentlemen take my advice, pull your pants down and slide on the ice." it'll save your ankles....

Kevan
02-17-2007, 10:21 PM
I can taste them all now. Happy Birthday Ken!

You're probably already in the midst of a fine bottle of red, hoisting a glass with your wonderful wife and friends, as I'm typing this post. Lucky you, to have a long weekend to celebrate and recoup.

dave thompson
02-17-2007, 10:24 PM
kEN:

Bite me! You young punk.

Ken Robb
02-17-2007, 10:48 PM
to tell the truth:" the tacos were the worst I've had there. The guacamole was obviously made by the Italian girl rather than the Mexican girl. Still pretty good though.

I'm sipping a dandy red slowly as I have to pick Leslie up at the airport around 11pm. She spent the last few days at an organ pedagogy conference in Knoxville, TN. She said it was snowing there this afternoon.

Tomorrow night we'll party with our gang.

Karin Kirk
02-17-2007, 10:54 PM
She spent the last few days at an organ pedagogy conference in Knoxville, TN.

OK, you gotta explain this one. Are we talking about church music, or kidneys, livers and such?

Sorry to hear about the mediocre guacamole. On your birthday no less!

Ken Robb
02-17-2007, 11:19 PM
Leslie teaches organ and piano when she's not doing the church music director, choir director, organist duties.

Pedagogy is one of the few "good" words that start with "peda" :beer:

Karin Kirk
02-18-2007, 08:47 AM
OK, that makes sense now, thanks!
Pedagogy rocks. Well, I should clarify that good pedagogy rocks.

I just got home from a pedagogy workshop for geology professors. Great stuff!

Serotta PETE
02-18-2007, 10:29 AM
Happy Birthday Ken........Glad that it was a good one - except for the meal. Sounded like the ale was great :beer:

We got out today BUT it was windy....I am looking forward to that CALIF weather at the Hampsten camp (and to seeing Mr. Tom B) ;)

If you can make it up for the day, the wine is on me (unless I can convince Tom that it should be on him).

PETE

Ken Robb
02-18-2007, 02:26 PM
Hampsten Camp??????????

dave thompson
02-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Hampsten Camp??????????
Yeah. This is what they show you how to do.

Wait, that's Hampsten, not hamster. Sorry, my bad.

Serotta PETE
02-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Hampsten Camp??????????

http://www.hampsten.com/Lounge/camp.html

Ken, the above link will tell you more about the event. Hope that you can make it up for a day at least. PETE

ciclisto
02-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Solution for you Ken is to start at Sunset cliffs ride out to the I-5 bypass and up to your condo and on to torrey pines, then it is almost all down hill back home, like I did today. Happy birthday I had one last week.
Former BMW OCSD member John Ciccone..............

Tom Byrnes
02-18-2007, 11:48 PM
Ken,

Belated Happy Birthday greetings from Guanajuato, Mexico. Congratulations on your ride.

Tom

Ken Robb
02-18-2007, 11:53 PM
http://www.hampsten.com/Lounge/camp.html

Ken, the above link will tell you more about the event. Hope that you can make it up for a day at least. PETE

Oh yeah, I found the link but the rides/climbing would kill me. I MIGHT be able to do the 40 mile 1500 foot climb day but forget about the others. Maybe I could just get a paying gig as monsieur le somelier???

H.Frank Beshear
02-19-2007, 07:44 AM
Happy belated birthday Ken, glad you had a nice ride.