PDA

View Full Version : Stupid setback question

jeffg
02-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I am looking at a new frame and trying to make sure I have roughly the same reach as on my Legend.

Legend has a 73 degree STA, 57cm TT, 11cm stem and was designed around a no setback Thomson.

New frame: 73 degree STA, 55.5cm TT, 11cm stem and is designed around a setback post (20mm, I believe). If HT is same, then the overall reach increased by 0.5cm, no?

I believe that is fine, but I would not want to use 25-30mm of offset on the post or else the reach increase would be too much.

Feedback appreciated ...

Thanks!

Archibald
02-16-2007, 02:41 PM
I am looking at a new frame and trying to make sure I have roughly the same reach as on my Legend.

Legend has a 73 degree STA, 57cm TT, 11cm stem and was designed around a no setback Thomson.

New frame: 73 degree STA, 55.5cm TT, 11cm stem and is designed around a setback post (20mm, I believe). If HT is same, then the overall reach increased by 0.5cm, no?

I believe that is fine, but I would not want to use 25-30mm of offset on the post or else the reach increase would be too much.

Feedback appreciated ...

Thanks!
Well, if you're going to stick with a Thomson on the new bike, you're top tube will be the right length so you can get a decent stem on there. Put a 120-130 stem on the new bike and welcome to the world of balanced handling.

jeffg
02-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Well, if you're going to stick with a Thomson on the new bike, you're top tube will be the right length so you can get a decent stem on there. Put a 120-130 stem on the new bike and welcome to the world of balanced handling.

Priceless, atmo :banana:

gt6267a
02-16-2007, 02:52 PM
as the seat post angles are the same, if one post has no setback and other does, you will be changing the relationship of your butt to the bottom bracket. from a fit perspective, you will be moving your knee behind the pedle spindle on the plumb drop exercise. you sure you want to do that?

i think archi is saying, go with the same post on both bikes and get the extra cockpit length from your stem.

jeffg
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
as the seat post angles are the same, if one post has no setback and other does, you will be changing the relationship of your butt to the bottom bracket. from a fit perspective, you will be moving your knee behind the pedle spindle on the plumb drop exercise. you sure you want to do that?

i think archi is saying, go with the same post on both bikes and get the extra cockpit length from your stem.

il maestro is. Specs are as follows:

seat 55.5
top 55.5
drop 7
seat angle 73
head angle 73
chainstays 41.5
head tube length 15.8
stem 110

Bike will be a gran fondo special, i.e. built for up and down