PDA

View Full Version : Wait for Ultegra 10 spd, or stick with 9 spd?

wwtsui
05-23-2004, 09:44 AM
Am getting ready to negotiate with spousal unit on custom ti bike :) -- hoping this will help relieve low back pain. Have heard that Shimano is releasing Ultegra 10 spd this fall, and am wondering whether I should wait for that, or save some bucks & pull 9 spd stuff off my current ride. (DA 10 is both too pricey, and way better than I'll ever be... Now that I think of it, the same could be said of Ultegra, but I guess I gotta put something on there...)

My specific questions:
- any idea how long Shimano will continue to make 9 spd parts?
- for DA 10 users, has drivetrain wear been noticeably worse than DA 9 (or Campy 10 spd, for that matter)?

Thanks.

coylifut
05-23-2004, 09:56 AM
The DA 10 speed is clearly more precise than the 9. I expect that the Ultegra 10 will be the same. However, it's apparent that Shimano is comitted to providing groups to OEMs and parts for DA 10 are quite pricey with not many discounts to be had. I suspect the Ultegra 10 will follow the same suit. There are plenty of deals on Shimano 9 speed. 9 speed stuff should be available new and used for years. With that said, I'd build the bike with your current 9 speed, then pick up a 10 speed group after supply catches up with the initial demand and prices taper off.

Dekonick
05-23-2004, 01:04 PM
NO - CHANGE TO 10 - (and give me your 9!)

LOL-

:cool:

shinomaster
05-23-2004, 01:44 PM
9 its still great stuff for the money