PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Tour, anybody?

Russ
12-22-2003, 11:40 PM
Do any of you Serottans have a Rapid Tour?

What do you think of it? Pros/Cons, Love/Hate, Great/Worse...

Tell me, tell me!

dbrk
12-23-2003, 12:02 AM
Russ,
I've seen and ridden more than a few of these bikes. I suppose now that everything is custom and std geos are not even offered up (except on the Fierte), the RT is more a design concept than a bike. I mean what would it be? A more relaxed CSi with stnd reach or cantilever brakes? It's never been a really heavy tourer. When I used to stare at the geometry charts, the RT would be the one I would say to myself, 'yes, that would be a sensible geometry for _race_ bike!' That being my idea of a racer, circa 1972 of course. Waterford's RST bike is the model I chose for the relaxed, stnd reach brake fit that suits my road riding.

My experiences on the Rapid Tour have all been very positive. I couldn't tell you that it wasn't a CSi. The brazing and lugs were simpler, the TIG'd ones are fine but have the appeal of TIG'd bike. Using threadless steerers when you are trying to sit taller is asking for spacers, ht extensions, and other compromises. Anyway, I'm curious about the 04 Rapid Tourer inasmuch as it begs the question...uhhh...What exactly is it and for?

dbrk

Johny
12-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Sorry Russ, I do not have a Rapid Tour. However, I've recently got a CTi (a '99 version of Concours), which was built according to the current Rapid Tour geometry. Longer chainstays (42.5), which I believe would contribute to more stable handling and more comfort, like the old 60's bikes...
I am still waiting for the 'O4 Record groupset (@#*%# the long-waiting Xmas mail delivery) to put the bike together... If then you're still intersted in how my CTi rides, I would tell you (first of all, it is not a steel bike)...

Bruce H.
12-23-2003, 05:52 AM
I have a Rapid Tour. Although it was stock 2000 model and not custom, I am in love with the ride. Handles beautifully. Have taken it down hills at 45-48 mph with no concerns at all. My cycling skills have increased tremendously.
I was told that it is about identical to the Csi with braze ons for fenders and panniers.
I did not purchase thr CRT for touring, but rather for centuries and club rides.
The only rea; problem <grin> I have is my lust for another Serotta!! Test rode the Ottrott at the Quad counties in Pa. and now want to move up!!
Bruce H

mfb1001
12-23-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Russ
Do any of you Serottans have a Rapid Tour?

What do you think of it? Pros/Cons, Love/Hate, Great/Worse...

Tell me, tell me!

Russ;
I've got a Legend w/RT geometry, and have ridden a fierte for awhile to get the feel of steel, but the Legend rides great. I wouldn't want to race with it, it take corners like a "large touring vehicle", because of the geometry, but on long distance rides, vary comfortable. Just put a Brooks saddle on it and starting to break it in. Club rides, leisure rides on nice days (which I prefer), commuting, it's "the cat's meow":D. mike

Serotta PETE
12-23-2003, 01:12 PM
I have a Rapid Tour from late 90s (off the shelf from Cyclesport) and it is my main travel bike. I like it so much that I got a CSI based CRT 2 years ago with cantelever brakes. I love the ride and it is the bike I used at the last open house in Saratoga.

Have seen folls with the Ti CRT and they equally enjoy it.

I am fast (S-L-O-W) on it...... PETE

Orin
12-23-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by dbrk
Russ,
I've seen and ridden more than a few of these bikes. I suppose now that everything is custom and std geos are not even offered up (except on the Fierte), the RT is more a design concept than a bike. I mean what would it be? A more relaxed CSi with stnd reach or cantilever brakes? It's never been a really heavy tourer. When I used to stare at the geometry charts, the RT would be the one I would say to myself, 'yes, that would be a sensible geometry for _race_ bike!' That being my idea of a racer, circa 1972 of course. Waterford's RST bike is the model I chose for the relaxed, stnd reach brake fit that suits my road riding.

dbrk

It does look a little race-like - on my Ti 55cm 2k model at least. 73 deg parallel angles. Unfortunate choice of 50mm rake on the original fork (OK for those with slacker head angles). 42.5 cm chainstays and fender clearance.

I do most of my miles on this bike. I always notice how comfortable it is when I switch back to it without the slight sogginess some frames have (my old 531 Bob Jackson comes to mind).

Currently, I've switched in a 43mm rake F-1 fork. The bike seems to be rock solid with this unlike the original steel fork... which would shimmy badly riding no-hands at 22 mph. I'm wondering whether to snip my front fender so that I can use it with the F-1 and give up on the original forks.

Orin.

Russ
12-23-2003, 11:59 PM
Do you guys think it would be sacrilege to put straight (MTB) handlebars on this bike?

I am thinking commuting here!

What shifters to use if one does not use Ergo levers on a straight bar?

H.Frank Beshear
12-24-2003, 12:16 AM
Russ check out the Rivendell site for some ideas on differrent bars and shifting options. I just got a set of nitto noodle bars that are real nice. There are many options for a commuter bike.Take care. Frank

Serotta PETE
12-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Russ, the bars would look great... As to shifting levers to put on and how...Douglas or Dave might have some ideas. Assumed when you said ERgo is was Campy 10? or 9? (Probably can use a shimono MOUNTIAN SHIFTING setup if you are using 9 speed.

Ahneida Ride
12-26-2003, 05:53 PM
Russ

My orange Legend is in Rapid Tour Geometry.
and... you know how I feel about this bike ...

enough said ???

Happy New Year,

DaleOsborn
07-18-2004, 10:57 PM
I have a 2002 Rapid Tour Ti with a Serotta classic steel fork. It's half paint/half polish in Big Boy Blue. Campy Centaur triple components, all touring fittings are present. I did order it with side pull brakes instead of cantilevers--I just have never liked cantilevers.

Because I weigh 190 lbs. and the bike has to carry me and a full touring load, the frame is pretty beefy. It rides wonderfully, however--so cushy over over the bumps, and it rides even better with the extra weight on it. As titanium bikes go, it's rather heavy, but as touring bikes go it is very light.

I should say it's my only bike--I use it for all riding, 99% of which is not touring. It's a great ride loaded or not.

--Dale in Michigan

Rapid Tourist
07-18-2004, 11:13 PM
I just got a Concours built up similar to a Rapid Tour with longer chainstays, eyelets for a rear rack and a 3rd bottle cage mount under the down tube. It is not meant for heavy touring and has a carbon fork on the front and caliper brakes. I built it for light commuting with panniers.

After 3 weeks of riding, I can report that the ride is tremendous and very comfortable.

A picture is on the Serottas thread under my name.

My previous bike was a road bike frame with a flat handlebar, again built mainly for commuting and it was a lot of fun to ride. I had mountain bike rapid fire shifters on it and I have to say that my XTR mountain bike shifters were incredibly smooth and fast. What's great about mtb shifting is that the shifters are always exactly where your hands are which makes for an excellent commuter setup. Have fun.

shaq-d
07-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Sorry Russ, I do not have a Rapid Tour. However, I've recently got a CTi (a '99 version of Concours), which was built according to the current Rapid Tour geometry. Longer chainstays (42.5), which I believe would contribute to more stable handling and more comfort, like the old 60's bikes...
I am still waiting for the 'O4 Record groupset (@#*%# the long-waiting Xmas mail delivery) to put the bike together... If then you're still intersted in how my CTi rides, I would tell you (first of all, it is not a steel bike)...

hey johny, my '99 cti has a 41.5 chainstay.. you sure the cti has rapid tour geometry...? i'm pretty sure mine is stock 58cm.. what's the size of your bike..?

anyway if this IS rapid tour geo, it's great... i love the bike and the ride.

sd

Bruce H.
07-19-2004, 08:25 AM
This rapid tour is fully lugged. I was told by many it is a Csi with braze ons and slight diff in BB position. Whatever, I love the ride, the feel etc. But most important thing is I can't ever wait to ride it. To me this is the definition of a terrific bke..I always want to ride it.
Bruce H.

Peter
07-19-2004, 06:46 PM
If you're gonna own only one bike, THIS should be it.

Put fenders on it and you won't care about rain. I can tell you firsthand that the first time you get caught in the rain with fenders, you'll swear they just paid for themselves. And they won't slow you down-I've been in Cat. 3 pacelines with no probs.

Put a rear rack on it for carrying stuff. I either put small panniers on mine for the commute to work or strap what I have directly to the top. Get yourself a 5' piece of clothesline and learn to tie a couple different hitches. Done.

Cantilever brakes are more powerful than calipers but have less of that racer look (Laurent Fignon had them on his bike one year in the Tour de France). A little known fact is that cantis also weigh less, if you're a gram counter. The other con to calipers is if you use fenders, the dual pivot caliper will flex the front fender off center during braking, so that it may rub the tire. You can compensate for this by mounting the fender slightly off-center. It's all more an annoyance than anything else.

The slightly more relaxed front end is not slow nor is it mellow; you could call it calm. Great for all day rides; still perfect for blinding fast group stuff, too.

No, I don't ride a Rapid Tour but a "sport touring" geometry frame that's virtually identical. If I could only own one bike, this would be it. Get one.