PDA

View Full Version : Bush Falls While Cycling!

Moveitfred
05-23-2004, 09:35 AM
Here's just a clip.... My God, what does this mean? Someone help me make sense of this...

Bush Suffers Cuts, Bruises While Biking
By DEB RIECHMANN

CRAWFORD, Texas (AP) - President Bush suffered cuts and bruises early Saturday afternoon when he fell while mountain biking on his ranch, White House spokesman Trent Duffy said.

Bush was on the 16th mile of a 17-mile ride when he fell, Duffy said. He was riding with a military aide, members of the Secret Service and his personal physician, Dr. Richard Tubb.

``He had minor abrasions and scratches on his chin, upper lip, nose, right hand and both knees,'' Duffy said. ``Dr. Tubb, who was with him, cleaned his scratches, said he was fine. The Secret Service offered to drive him back to the house. He declined and finished his ride.''

Bush was wearing his bike helmet and a mouth guard when the mishap occurred. Duffy said he didn't know exactly how the accident happened.

``It's been raining a lot and the topsoil is loose,'' the spokesman said. ``You know this president. He likes to go all out. Suffice it to say he wasn't whistling show tunes.''

PanTerra
05-23-2004, 10:07 AM
The entire article (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040523/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_injured&cid=544&ncid=716)

dnovo
05-23-2004, 10:19 AM
NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! It's bad enough I have to hear about Bush, Kerry, et al in 'the real world' and would prefer that I keep my hobbies above the fray. Bikes, folks, bikes. Dave N.

Doc Austin
05-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Sounds like he did a faceplant, but got up and finished the ride. Gotta admire that.

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2004, 10:36 AM
NO!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! It's bad enough I have to hear about Bush, Kerry, et al in 'the real world' and would prefer that I keep my hobbies above the fray. Bikes, folks, bikes. Dave N.

Dnovo,

I could not agree more. Need Uncle Ben shut us down again ?

I don't appreciate the cheap political shots.

Doc Austin
05-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Dnovo,

I don't appreciate the cheap political shots.

He crashed. It's a fact.

Where's the cheap political shot?

I think it's cool he finished the ride after landing on his face. :banana:

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2004, 11:01 AM
He crashed. It's a fact.

Where's the cheap political shot?

I think it's cool he finished the ride after landing on his face. :banana:

Doc:

My apologies, I was not referring to you. ;)

Dbelk
05-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey, pipe down you politically sensitive wussies: we should be rejoicing that Kerry and Bush are out riding bikes in their leisure time! The fact that W did a faceplant and K wiped out and suffered sand-in-the-wound road rash just means that they're 'real' cyclists - riding for the love of it, not a photo opp.

pale scotsman
05-23-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm one of the cheap shooters in the thread below, and will hereby cease and desist. No harm was intended, and there's no need to jeopardize the board. Besides dnovo is right, we should keep to bikes.

Doc Austin
05-23-2004, 11:14 AM
Doc:

My apologies, I was not referring to you. ;)

No worries.

Louis
05-23-2004, 01:56 PM
If discussing the cycling pratfalls of our presidential candidates is considered “jeopardizing the board” then we must be approaching Stalinist levels of censorship. (Which would not surprise me these days.) Do Serotta and Disney have more in common than we know?

I would think that we are mature enough to discuss issues that may or may not be as earth shaking as “Pro-Link” vs. “Boeshield” or saving 5 grams on a wheel. (After all, it’s rotating weight, you know, and Lance does this, but Mario used to do that…)

Lighten up guys. How boring would it be if we only discussed arcane cycling stuff?

Louis

JohnS
05-23-2004, 02:01 PM
you obviously haven't been around long enough. Thr old forum was shut down because things got pretty vicious. There are plenty of other places to talk politics.

SBash
05-23-2004, 02:28 PM
I think Bush and Kerry should have a bike race and who ever wins is president. No more finger pointing, winner takes all! This would be a straight bike race so there would be no cheating by veering right or left.

Louis
05-23-2004, 02:31 PM
John,

I was there when it happened, and I know what folks are referring to. This thread comes no where near what happened back then. There are no personal threats or other types of intimidation. If this is considered vicious, then I think we need to recalibrate.

This thread may be related to politics, but it is mainly related to cycling and events that occurred in the lives of two guys who occasionally spend some time on their bikes. Since one of these guys will be the next president of our country, we, as cyclists, are interested in their escapades. I don’t think you’ll see much discussion of Kerry’s handlebars or Bush’s riding technique on a “politics only” forum. This is the place to discuss those subjects.

Furthermore, we ought to be able to discuss this on a cycling forum without threats of censorship. Don’t forget that one of the gentlemen in question rides bikes manufactured by the sponsor of this forum.

My $0.02

Louis

gdw
05-23-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't believe that this is a censorship issue but one of courtesy and tact. Many of us do not care to see politics discussed on this forum and would prefer that those who do take it elsewhere.

dnovo
05-23-2004, 04:54 PM
I wasn't concerned about the board being shut down when I made my comment, I'm just sick of the whole political scene, and didn't want to contemplate Bush or Kerry when I didn't have to do so.

Big Ben is NOT watching. He's either out riding or building up his company. As long as we don't wet the carpet or start going after each other with axes, I doubt if you are going to see an 'censorship.'

Think of it this way, he tolerates me, doesn't he? And Sandy too.

Dave N.

Tony Edwards
05-24-2004, 11:05 AM
Does anyone know what kind of bike Bush rides? Are there pics somewhere? I'm just curious, though I can't imagine it is anything nearly as ritzy as Kerry's stable of Serottas.

Elefantino
05-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Bush fell. So what.

Kerry fell. So what.

(Actually, I take that one back. He fell and cracked his Modolos. That is more serious that a scraped chin.)

If Ben didn't want us to be able to discuss poliltics on this board, then he wouldn't have painted a "Bring It On" bike for the likely Democratic nominee.

What we should be upset about is that the wire-service reports have yet to reveal what kind of bike Bush was riding. I'm betting it was a Trek. The Lance connection, and all.

Mike

------------------------
When Nixon lied, well, you know the rest.

Kevan
05-24-2004, 11:50 AM
we'll never know.

JohnS
05-24-2004, 12:24 PM
Kerry becomes president
"Serotta" becomes a household name
Serotta's waiting list becomes longer than e-Richie's
These new Serotta riders take their riding apparel style cues from Kerry
The "good" rides are clogged with 12mph Serotta riders
Do we really want that??? :crap: