PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Fixed Gear

sevencyclist
02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Here is a video demonstrating some benefits of fixed gear bicycle. I am impressed!!

http://www.vidilife.com/video_play_950221_Bicycle_Moves.htm

atmo
02-15-2007, 04:54 PM
i have seen this before and what interests me is that
i find it so much more a feat than what the pros in
racing do atmo. atmo if a sports fans would see this
and aren't hooked immediately, they'd need their
collective pulses checked.

between this and 'cross, no other sports need apply.

itsflantastic
02-15-2007, 04:59 PM
the stuff at the end of that video is ridiculous. I'm gonna go start practicing now.

Smiley
02-15-2007, 05:23 PM
IMPRESSIVE :banana:

Lanternrouge
02-15-2007, 05:39 PM
It's basically gymnastics on a bike. I'm normally impressed just by a no-handed trackstand, but this is so much better.

flydhest
02-15-2007, 08:43 PM
I bet she dopes . . . they all do.

dauwhe
02-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I think of the thousands of hours she spent learning to do this.... the frustrations, the dedication, the moments of joy as something works for the first time... I can't imagine. It's so different from the cycling I love, with those endless hours pedaling forward at 13mph, but not the tiniest bit of skill.

I wonder what she thinks, seeing Tom Boonen, or Jure Robic riding their bikes...

Truly amazing.

Dave

stevep
02-16-2007, 05:57 AM
cool.

Birddog
02-16-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't mean to diminish in any way what the young lady is doing, she is truly phenomenal, but if kids were riding fixies on a regular basis, then you'd be seeing some of these moves on the local streets. It would only be a matter of time till you saw this at the X Games complete with ramps and halfpipes.

Birddog

kbone
02-16-2007, 09:46 AM
I don't mean to diminish in any way what the young lady is doing, she is truly phenomenal, but if kids were riding fixies on a regular basis, then you'd be seeing some of these moves on the local streets. It would only be a matter of time till you saw this at the X Games complete with ramps and halfpipes.

Birddog

You bring up an interesting point that I will put a bit of a spin on...

What she is doing IS amazing.

That said, I used to do freestyle BMX when I was a kid (20 years ago) and many of the moves are the same - though not nearly as graceful or well put together as I was never that skilled.

Freestyle (in the X Games context) is different these days and is now more about air time because of the intorduction of all the new ramps and such. Back in our day we were lucky to have a launch ramp to use so we had to focus on gound moves like cherry pickers, bar spins, gut levers, tail whips, endos and such - many of which are the same moves she was doing in her routine.

02-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Check out the frame geometry. This is a true circus acrobatics bike. You almost wouldn't be able to ride it on the road. It's designed for incredible stability at the expense of actual rideability. You still have to balance superbly of course, and she's a very good circus performer, but it'd be much harder to do that on a regular road bike. At the Gent 6 last year, I saw a woman doing this same kind of routine but doing it on boards and wires 30 feet over the track. Now that was pretty spectacular. No net.

mjb266
02-16-2007, 12:07 PM
This is nothing...I worked with a guy in State College, PA who was riding the local singletrack (home of the SS worlds a year back) on a fully rigid fixed w/ only a front brake. The singletrack was steep and rocky and this guy can clear more than the rest of us. It made it so that I will never be able to get a full suspension MTB. He was crushing the guys on the 6" travel Intenses all decked out.

For what it's worth, the same guy plays golf with only a 7 iron. He can shoot close to par with only that club and beats lots of the locals who have 15-20 clubs in their bag as he strools down the fairway with only the single club over his shoulder.

JF636
02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
Check out the frame geometry. This is a true circus acrobatics bike. You almost wouldn't be able to ride it on the road. It's designed for incredible stability at the expense of actual rideability. You still have to balance superbly of course, and she's a very good circus performer, but it'd be much harder to do that on a regular road bike. At the Gent 6 last year, I saw a woman doing this same kind of routine but doing it on boards and wires 30 feet over the track. Now that was pretty spectacular. No net.

Agreed. I saw the LaNuba show from Cirque DeSoleil and one of the acts were two guys doing kind of a mini-version on trials stunts on BMX type bikes. That was impressive....but this routine could have fit very well with that kind of show. Very nice. ;)