PDA

View Full Version : Question for frame designers

shinomaster
02-15-2007, 02:57 PM
How long can you make a bike and still have it ride like a race bike? Say for instance, a 54cc...how long can you go before it turns into a cruise ship? 57cm? 58? 58.5?
I ask because I have 130mm stem on a 56 cannondale that is 54cc with a 56tt, and I know I could ride a longer stem if it would work.
What would a designer do to compensate for the added length? Is it really possible to make a long bike that rides well?

Steve Hampsten
02-15-2007, 03:03 PM
Look at any company's size chart. All the answers are right there.

obtuse
02-15-2007, 03:03 PM
no.

this thing rides like shi'ite.

obtuse

shinomaster
02-15-2007, 03:11 PM
[QUOTE=Steve Hampsten]Look at any company's size chart. All the answers are right there.[/QUOTE}

??? Maybe a compact, but I've never seen a bike with a level top tube and those dimensions.

Steve Hampsten
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Come to Daddy.

It's easy: a long top tube/short seat tube combination is WAAAY easier to design and carry off than the inverse - short top tube/long seat tube. Both combos may be outside of the norm and both combos explain why "custom" bikes are popular - we aren't all built the same.

coylifut
02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
no.

obtuse

sure looks cool though.

Grant McLean
02-15-2007, 03:18 PM
How long can you make a bike and still have it ride like a race bike? Say for instance, a 54cc...how long can you go before it turns into a cruise ship? 57cm? 58? 58.5?
I ask because I have 130mm stem on a 56 cannondale that is 54cc with a 56tt, and I know I could ride a longer stem if it would work.
What would a designer do to compensate for the added length? Is it really possible to make a long bike that rides well?

It's all interconnected.

Pick a stem length, say 120. Reverse engineer the reach from where your
saddle will be positioned. Adjust the head angle and fork rake to the trail
factor and front center that gives the handling and balance you like.

g

shinomaster
02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
It's all interconnected.

Pick a stem length, say 120. Reverse engineer the reach from where your
saddle will be positioned. Adjust the head angle and fork rake to the trail
factor and front center that gives the handling and balance you like.

g

Will you make me one Grant? With Canadian steel?

Grant McLean
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Will you make me one Grant? With Canadian steel?

I can tape some hockey sticks together into a couple of triangles,
after that, you're on your own!

g

shinomaster
02-15-2007, 03:46 PM
no.

obtuse

Are you being sarcastic? Should I just put a 140 on a Colnago?

obtuse
02-15-2007, 03:51 PM
Are you being sarcastic? Should I just put a 140 on a Colnago?

yes. what i'm saying is that there are many properly designed low and long bikes....that bike is not a stock colnago. it is basically a 60cm that they shrunk down so it has the headtube height of a 58cm stock colnago. think of it that way i guess.

you need to keep the wheelbase and the weight balance within a certain range which for vulgar reference is articulated in the geometry charts of the largest stock geometries from well respected builders who get it.

make sense bucky?

obtuse

chrisroph
02-15-2007, 04:24 PM
Dude:

Here's a nag:

You've got one of the tightest set of hamstrings/low backs of any cyclist I've ever seen. Have you been doing your stretches? Until you do them for a while, you really have no idea how much longer/lower you can go. It will be way longer/lower than you are on the cannonball.

shinomaster
02-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Dude:

Here's a nag:

You've got one of the tightest set of hamstrings/low backs of any cyclist I've ever seen. Have you been doing your stretches? Until you do them for a while, you really have no idea how much longer/lower you can go. It will be way longer/lower than you are on the cannonball.

****...I don't want a frankenbike.

chrisroph
02-15-2007, 04:39 PM
****...I don't want a frankenbike.

how about a frankenbody?

shinomaster
02-15-2007, 04:43 PM
how about a frankenbody?

I already got one! Now a beer belly to boot..

chrisroph
02-15-2007, 04:55 PM
I already got one! Now a beer belly to boot..

Can't imagine a beer belly on your skinny azzzz. We are riding saturday am at 8:30am from my house. You working?

shinomaster
02-15-2007, 05:04 PM
I always effin work on saturday...I just got a raise though.. :beer: Wanna ride cross bikes on sunday? Forest park? Easy climb..

chrisroph
02-15-2007, 05:08 PM
I always effin work on saturday...I just got a raise though.. :beer: Wanna ride cross bikes on sunday? Forest park? Easy climb..

cross bikes, forest park, hmhmmm good idea. Lets pencil it in. I've got a pretty wicked cold that is progressing. I should be ok by the weekend. :beer:

bcm119
02-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Sunday is Cherry Pie... its a new, beautiful course, practically in my backyard, only 30% chance of rain, and none of you pdx forumites are coming?

shinomaster
02-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Sunday is Cherry Pie... its a new, beautiful course, practically in my backyard, only 30% chance of rain, and none of you pdx forumites are coming?

Bcm...did you see this?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26144

bcm119
02-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Bcm...did you see this?
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=26144
No, and I'm not going to look at it either. :)

RPS
02-16-2007, 10:08 AM
What would a designer do to compensate for the added length? Is it really possible to make a long bike that rides well?It would be interesting to get opinions regarding lowering the center of gravity -- that is, ask the question in reverse.

Assume you start with a racing bike geometry (so it’s not considered a “cruise ship” as you stated) for a tall person who rides a large frame, and modify it by lowering the vertical dimensions only so a shorter rider can mount it safely. Now assume the bike is adjusted so the weight distribution is exactly the same.

In this hypothetical case, would the long bike with a wheelbase much longer than would have been otherwise necessary for the shorter rider handle much different because the rider’s center of gravity is lower to the ground? Is it a cruise ship for one and not the other?

chrisroph
02-16-2007, 11:08 AM

My rule is NEVER ride cherry pie, too much pent up testosterone and poor bike handling and judgment. BB is a better place to start the competitive year. YMMV. :)