PDA

View Full Version : Race Report

Dude
05-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Okay, before I call this a "race" let me explain the setting. It was actually a "clinic" sponsored by the local club to boost enrollment for their team. Basically, it was 3 laps (6 mile laps) of central park - 1 was controlled and the last two were open so it was pretty easy.

The first lap, being controlled was pretty uneventful, the club guys ushered us around and made sure we knew what we were doing. There were some squirrels but I just made sure I stayed at the front.

After the first lap they opened it up and sure enough some guy takes off immediately, gets about 20 meters and the pack reels in him. We roll together for the next couple miles until we get to the Harlem "hill." More of a 2/3 mile slant. Being one of the few places to seperate the group, the front group picks up the pace and the guys in the back crack. It actually left about 20 people off the back. We were still pretty much together for another mile or so.

We hit the "rollers" on the west side of central park. The pack is essentially in a double paceline, I am about 5th wheel on the right side. I had a whole car's lane of room on my right. Taking some advice from CSB, (If you are going to race to just sit in the pack, you may as well try to attack. If you go thats great, if you get caught, you are back where you started anyway) so I jump out, put my nuts out on the table and show everyone what I'm made of. I guess being a white jewish guy doesn't bode well, because I got about 50 meters off the front for a minute or two, redlining it, someone else jumped the gap and we worked together (sloppily) for a couple pulls. The pack reels us in. I know I was shooting myself in the foot but it was damn fun! At least I seperated the pack even more and some guys got shelled. Pack came up on us and I am right back in.

We sit toghether. A few people try a little escape but the front guys aren't letting them go, I think more out of fear of losing a draft then actually trying to keep the pack together. I feel my body is completely recovered and so I'm anxious to take off again but I am a little boxed in. it takes a little bit for me to get to the outside and I shoot off again taking the group by surprise - lovin it!!

It was a pretty crappy place to go at it alone because the "hill" is about 1/2 mile away at this point where I know I won't be able to hold off the group, but I have a nice downhill around a turn to pick up some speed and get out of sight. I get into TT mode and just try to hammer smoothly and maintain the gap (maybe 10" or so). Halfway up the hill they pull me in, they are moving pretty quickly but I am able to slide back in 7th or 8th position. We cruise along for another mile or so and I find myself with three other guys in the front. We are stringing the group out, riding pretty strongly.

Now, because it is a clinic, the other races going on have the right of way. With about 2 miles to go, another race comes up on our left, the "ushers" makes us slow down and move to the right bringing everyone together until the final ramp up to the finish forcing a sprint finish. I am probably the worst sprinter in the world so I immediately know my chances of a top 5 finish (my goal) are shot but I try anyway. I end up finishing last of the sprinters - around 15th or so and more or less ahead of the main group who didn't sprint.

All in all, I gotta say, that **** is fun - it was awesome. A lot of the other riders were just like me. They ride a whole lot, love cycling, follow cycling, talk about it, read it, watch it on TV, bore their girlfriends with it, do fast club rides but had never actually raced. The clinic gave us a great opportunity to see whats out there, see how we stand and have a good time.

My next race is on June 26th.

bcm119
05-23-2004, 11:17 PM
I can feel your enthusiasm Dude. I got into cycling after I moved away from New York, but it is still my favorite city and I can only imagine what a thrill it would be to be flying along in a pack around central park. Talk about sensory overload.
Is there much danger with cross traffic of joggers, roller bladers, dog-walkers, etc? Or do people abide by the lanes pretty well?
bcm, who is missing New York in the spring.

Dude
05-24-2004, 08:23 PM
On a whole, I still can't get adjusted to NYC. Whats really cool about the club is that they get permits from the city to run the races. They are held at 6 in the morning on sat. or sun so there is limited traffic anyway. There are marshals and everything so people know that there is a race going on.

Weekends get pretty crazy in central park during spring/summer. It really is like riding in a video game where people and dogs are popping up everywhere, it gets kind of scary.

Too Tall
05-25-2004, 06:24 AM
NICE! Was Craig Upton one of the ushers?

Dude
05-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Maybe. It was the CRCA/Moneygram team. They actually have this guy, Yatzik, who was on the polish national team for a few years in the 80's. It was like poetry in motion watching him ride.

csb
05-25-2004, 10:58 PM
any lactating, bra strap showing mothers in your race?

coylifut
05-25-2004, 11:53 PM
I can hear it loud and clear. I've never riden in Central Park, but I ran that same route when I was in the city lately. I can't remember, but I think the hill you are talking about is the big hill? I recall running up it and thinking that a real fast moving group would iron that thing out pretty well. It's great that you had ushers. It's always fun when you make all of the selections and the jumps come sprint time. Keep having fun.