PDA

View Full Version : Rocket7s (custom fitting) vs. Sidi Ergos

terrytnt
02-15-2007, 07:34 AM
Sorry for another shoe thread, but I really need a new pair of cycling shoes for this upcoming session (my Carnacs are over 5 years and fading).

The custom Rocket7s will be outside my price range, but I understand you can get semi-custom fitted (i.e., width, length, color) Rocket7 for a more reasonable cost... $450. This puts it in the range of several high-end shoes like Sidi Ergos. This seems a good option for me because of my narrow foot (A)

Anyone have a point of view on the quality of semi-custom Rocket7 vs. what's off the shelf?

Frustration
02-15-2007, 07:38 AM
D2CUSTOMFOOTWEAR (http://WWW.D2CUSTOMFOOTWEAR.COM)

I like these FAR FAR more than Rockets...

But if you really want a money saver, get a set of Esoles

ESOLES (http://WWW.ESOLES.COM)

And and any of several other shoes.

The D2 have a way more high quality sole. If I had a nickle for every set of Rocket 7 Ive seen with a hole in the superthin sole, I could go to starbucks (Venti...).

SIDI's new Ergo's are nice by the way, but nothing is as good as a properly fit custom.

bcm119
02-15-2007, 10:03 AM
As a cheaper alternative, the Sidi Genius 5's come in a narrow width. They fit my narrow foot quite well, although they could be a bit narrower. They aren't as bling as the Ergos, but you won't lose any races because of them.

Ozz
02-15-2007, 12:33 PM
I put a set of these into my Sidi's...made a huge difference in foot support. I think I still need some more correction for my left foot, but these bought me some time.

Sole Custom Footbeds (http://www2.yoursole.com/home?id=f7LI9MQ3)

Saw them in Asphalt mag a couple years ago....

Frustration
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Huge difference between Sole and Esoles...

I can tell you blindfolded that I have Esoles on. I couldn't tell you blindfolded if Sole were installed... I use my heated Sole inserts in my house slippers, as I felt like I couldn't just throw em away... But they made no real difference in performance shoes or cycling.

Esoles are as close to a fully custom shoe as you can get (and you can swap em from one shoe to the next if you order the right base material...).

jhcakilmer
02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
...makes some great shoes, and they are narrow. Plus you can get them for some great prices on the web. I'm not a fan of SIDI's, I love my Carnacs Quartz!

quattro
02-15-2007, 04:04 PM
http://www.simmons-racing.com/shoes.html

Has anyone tried these ?

itsalldark
02-15-2007, 04:11 PM
Buy the shoes that fit the best--get a pair of esoles and forget about Rocket 7. There shoes are a joke!! My heal pad falls off just about every time I wear them. My off the rack Sidi's fit better. Customer service---what customer service,jJust try and get a person on the phone after the sale.

coylifut
02-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Buy the shoes that fit the best--get a pair of esoles and forget about Rocket 7. There shoes are a joke!! My heal pad falls off just about every time I wear them. My off the rack Sidi's fit better. Customer service---what customer service,jJust try and get a person on the phone after the sale.

i'm with ya on the customer service issue. Sidi has just about* everyone covered with their narrow, standard and mega shoes. combined with a top flite set of insoles, you've got a winner

jmewkill
02-15-2007, 07:43 PM
If you're not near a store on their short retail list - how do you go about getting a set?

GONE4ARIDE
02-16-2007, 06:13 AM
Terry,

After being a devout Sidi user for years, I switched to a pair of custom Rocket 7's and had fit and durability issues with them from the start. After sending them back for re-work two times, I gave up on them and went back to Sidi. In my opinion, the Rockets are not worth the money.

bostondrunk
02-17-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm a rocket7 user. They can get damaged over time if you wear out the heel pad and walk on the carbon. But there are some of us who just can't fit comfortably into stock shoes like Sidis. I've tried every brand out there. My main problem is the width of my mid-foot. Wide midfoot with narrow heel, and right foot slightly smaller than the left. It is the wide midfoot that kills me. Even in the sidi megas, once you tighten them, it cinches onto my midfoot (the sole isn't wide enough). I believe the soles on the megas aren't any wider than the regular ones, they just put more leather in the upper, but again, it just cinches onto my foot. And the heel in the megas is way too wide anyway..
The closest I have come so far is Shimano's R215E with a gel heel pad to flatten things out a bit. But the heel is still a bit wide on them, and they feel really bulky compared to the 7's.

The rockets fit perfect. Even if they do have to be replaced every few years (my experience so far), they take all the pain away from my feet. And they are also a lot lighter than a sidi + custom footbed. You can also really customize the rockets more than ever as well, aside from color and embroidery, you can have the soles built up for leg lenght difference, canting, etc.

Cheers

davids
02-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Buy shoes that fit.

If you can find a stock shoe in which you're comfortable and secure, you're golden. If you can't, get something custom.

I just bought new shoes, and I find that that Sidis fit me very, very well. Shimanos, otoh, were ridiculous. That's for my feet.

I also found that tailored insoles were incredibly important. Obtuse fit me with a set of Alines (http://www.aline.com/welcome.html) that have had a major effect on my (I hate to use the word, but it's true) alignment. I've been living with a large right-leg pronation, and it took some dumb-@ss bike shop guy to show me the fix (Seriously - big, big thanks to the jerk! - I'm truly grateful for this help and insight. I'm taking this info back to my GP and pressing for a referral to an orthopedist to get this issue addressed for my day-to-day shoes.)

As far as the Rocket 7s, they're beautiful, and probably weigh half of what the Sidi Genius 5s do. But for me, the off-the-shelf shoes fit the bill.

terrytnt
02-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Well, clearly it's what fit's that counts. Last Friday I tried on Specialized and Sidis, the Sidi 5.5 were by far the most comfortable. I'm a 45 and narrow fit (A-B).

Does anyone know the difference between the 5.5s and Ergos?

Archibald
02-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Hate to throw another option into the mix, but what about L.U.S.T (http://www.lustracing.com/) shoes? I know Bart so there's a slight connection and I've been considering getting a pair of shoes from him but haven't really talked to anybody who uses them. Any insight?

bostondrunk
02-19-2007, 09:11 AM
Hate to throw another option into the mix, but what about L.U.S.T (http://www.lustracing.com/) shoes? I know Bart so there's a slight connection and I've been considering getting a pair of shoes from him but haven't really talked to anybody who uses them. Any insight?

I thought about them, but the issues for me were:

1. Lust is more expensive
2. Rocket7 will send the casting socks out to you, whereas with Lust you have to get yourself to a fitter or an appointment with Bart. Not the most convenient for everyone.

Performance-wise, I have no idea if one is better than the other...

Archibald
02-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I thought about them, but the issues for me were:

1. Lust is more expensive
2. Rocket7 will send the casting socks out to you, whereas with Lust you have to get yourself to a fitter or an appointment with Bart. Not the most convenient for everyone.

Performance-wise, I have no idea if one is better than the other...
Local yokel...to me.

Simon Q
02-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Terry,

After being a devout Sidi user for years, I switched to a pair of custom Rocket 7's and had fit and durability issues with them from the start. After sending them back for re-work two times, I gave up on them and went back to Sidi. In my opinion, the Rockets are not worth the money.

Very much the same as my experience w R7. I was very disappointed, gave up and went back to Sidis with custom footbed which are spot on. Unless you have an extreme foot issue that a custom could address go with a shoe that fits and a custom footbed.

Peter B
02-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I've been using Sidis for quite awhile and liked them. My feet are pretty normal, so no need for full custom, but my left is ~1/2 size larger and I tend to have trouble with proper arch location when I buy stock shoes; always a compromise of length/width. This year I decided to try stock R7s but in mixed sizes. Scott at Competitive Cyclist patiently shipped 5 pairs before I found the right mix, a 43.5C left and 43D right. They fit spot on. Arch location and support is good, toe box is snug without restricting circulation. I, too, question the long-term durability of the thin carbon soles. I live in a rural area and cycle lots of remote terrain. I'll have to be more conscious about walking around on my gravel driveway as these surely won't be as durable as the plastic soled Sidis. The benefit is perfect fit and about half the weight. Not a big deal on a gearlie ride, but a big plus on a fixed double century!
YMMV.

Peter