PDA

View Full Version : Cycling and Ice Hockey

JumpStart
02-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Are there any Hockey Players out there?

After laying off Ice Hockey for a few years, I started playing weekly pick-up games and couldn't help but think how similar the workout is compared to cycling. You do a shift (pull) then recover on the bench until it's time for another shift (pull).

I've heard that skating and cycling have been considered to be complimentary. The exception being the groin muscles (ouch!!).

ada@prorider.or
02-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Are there any Hockey Players out there?

After laying off Ice Hockey for a few years, I started playing weekly pick-up games and couldn't help but think how similar the workout is compared to cycling. You do a shift (pull) then recover on the bench until it's time for another shift (pull).

I've heard that skating and cycling have been considered to be complimentary. The exception being the groin muscles (ouch!!).

my body listen
http://www.prorider.org/sounds/OFInterviewRonAndersonSegment111012006.mp3

alll dutch speedskaters ride a bike and are very good cyclist women and men

coylifut
02-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Manet' a bruiser

DarkStar
02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
Yep, long time hockey player. Hockey was a large part of my winter training program when I raced during the eighties. Really improved my sprinting, top end speed, and ability to roll along at high speed.
Lot of free time back then, so most mornings consisted of two, sometimes three hours of very fast and intense shinny at the university rink. This was followed by one hour LSD skating.**Occasionally varsity players would join us for some shinny after their regular practice, they really upped the pace!
Still have all my front teeth. :D

flydhest
02-14-2007, 09:44 PM
I was up in Ontario a couple weekends ago . . . sore muscles if you haven't played in a while. Still, nothin' like pond hockey, eh?

manet
02-14-2007, 10:07 PM
coylifut's my agent*

*stevep's cut is toooo deep

zap
02-15-2007, 09:17 AM
I was up in Ontario a couple weekends ago . . . sore muscles if you haven't played in a while. Still, nothin' like pond hockey, eh?

Miss that, pond hockey. Nothing like triping over some big weed.

Saw some folks playing on the canal while blasting up the trail the other weekend.

Lincoln
02-15-2007, 11:37 AM
I started playing in some pick-up around here this winter. I think it's a great cross-training workout but pretty far from bike specific.

Bradford
02-15-2007, 11:54 AM
I've been playing for 37 years, including twice a week until I moved from Boston. The difference is that hockey, played correctly, is in 1 minute bursts of all out effort followed by a few minutes of sitting, followed by a 1 minute burst of all out effort. Pick-up hockey is usually more like 3 minutes on the ice mixing all out and coasting, follow by 3-6 minutes on the bench. So, aerobically speaking, it is completely different from cycling and not all that much help when you get back on the road. You don't get to sit down and rest in cycling and the overall effort of a ride is much, much longer and more consistent.

Where hockey does help is that it always kept my weight down in the winter; since I left Boston and stopped skating, I've really bulked up when the bike goes away.

I play hockey because it is a hell of a lot of fun and that is enough for me. It certainly won't hurt your cycling, but I'm not sure it will make you a better rider.

myette10
02-15-2007, 11:56 AM
I started cycling after a life of hockey ended for me four years ago: I seemed to be getting hurt every time I'd get on the ice from stupid things, taking a puck in the back of the leg or a stick in the mouth from some ham and egger thinking he was playing for the cup. That was all fine when I was U23, but as a 32 yr old it wasn't much fun. I started when I was 4 and played serious hockey right through varsity at college, and it was great. I had very little trouble with the transition to cycling. Besides the obvious strength & interval development, hockey drills taught me how to suffer beyond what I would normally be willing to put myself through.

Lincoln
02-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Bradford,

Have you not been able to find pick-up or rec. games in CO or have you not looked?

manet
02-15-2007, 05:02 PM

Pick-up hockey is usually more like 3 minutes on the ice mixing all out and coasting, follow by 3-6 minutes on the bench.

sit down ??!! never. well maybe when i was a kiddo back in new england, breaking in my feet in a new pair of skates...

Bradford
02-15-2007, 05:04 PM
Bradford,

Have you not been able to find pick-up or rec. games in CO or have you not looked?
Plenty of ice in CO, but the baby is keeping me at home. I travel on the weekdays, so I can't get a hall pass on the weekends.

No golf and very little cycling as well.

Once little B is a little easier to take care of and my wife can do without me for a bit, I'll be back on the ice.

RIHans
02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
I started cycling after a life of hockey ended for me four years ago: I seemed to be getting hurt every time I'd get on the ice from stupid things, taking a puck in the back of the leg or a stick in the mouth from some ham and egger thinking he was playing for the cup. That was all fine when I was U23, but as a 32 yr old it wasn't much fun. I started when I was 4 and played serious hockey right through varsity at college, and it was great. I had very little trouble with the transition to cycling. Besides the obvious strength & interval development, hockey drills taught me how to suffer beyond what I would normally be willing to put myself through.
I played hockey in HS and the drills...Up and back and up, were VERY HARD. But, hey, go hard or go home!

myette10
02-15-2007, 07:33 PM
I played hockey in HS and the drills...Up and back and up, were VERY HARD. But, hey, go hard or go home!

Did you play HS hockey in RI?

NAHBS
02-17-2007, 07:53 AM
I played hockey for a few years, until we lost our ice here in Central Texas. THe closest sheet to me is now 1 hour and 15 minutes away.
I would almost rather play than ride. But I did feel it greatly improved my cardio and legs.

Nothing like a good open ice hit, too...

DW

stevep
02-17-2007, 08:05 AM
coylifut's my agent*

*stevep's cut is toooo deep

you're gonna get a visit... big thugs this time 6'3" 155 pounds... massive brute.

MealsOnWheels
05-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I want to play, but adult league games are at 9pm or 1030 pm where I live. Tuff to do on a weeknight.

MattTuck
05-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Wow, 5 year old thread! where'd you find this one?

I do see one big similarity between biking and hockey, Roberto Ferrari believes a bunch sprint is like a hockey game.