PDA

View Full Version : Pour Over Coffee

Rpoole8537
11-19-2020, 07:15 AM
I know there are many coffee experts here. I love pour over coffee best. I want to know which pour over cones are a Paceline favorite, and what methods are used to make your favorite cop of Jo.

eddief
11-19-2020, 07:46 AM
Can't make a lot at one time but my bet is you can't make anything better tasting with any other pour over method or equipment:

https://aeropress.com/use-it-now/getting-started/

rwsaunders
11-19-2020, 07:47 AM
https://i.imgur.com/QgTZtrjl.jpg

My oldest son is into pourover coffee and he’s a Hario grinder and cone guy.

saab2000
11-19-2020, 07:55 AM
Sounds like a fancy way to grab money from your pocket with what is in fact almost identical to a drip coffee maker.

Or am I missing something here?

retropean
11-19-2020, 07:59 AM
Sounds like a fancy way to grab money from your pocket with what is in fact almost identical to a drip coffee maker.

More control over water temperature

rwsaunders
11-19-2020, 08:04 AM
Sounds like a fancy way to grab money from your pocket with what is in fact almost identical to a drip coffee maker. Or am I missing something here?

I’ll have to admit that it makes for a really smooth tasting cup...he’s into the process and he’s very methodical and patient, unlike me. I like to hit the button on the grinder, tamp the beans and hit the button on the espresso machine.

CDollarsign
11-19-2020, 08:08 AM
I think Chemex filters yield a bright cup with excellent clarity, so I use the Chemex. I have most cones and I’d say second best is Hario V60 - it can be a bit finicky though as the filter raised off the cone surface can cause the water to drop out too soon and leave you with an under extracted cup.

I have a Baratza Virtuoso for my grinder. If I was buying one now I’d probably go Fellow Ode.

Cantdog
11-19-2020, 08:17 AM

You’re missing something. It’s in someways less fancy—you can get a plastic v60 for like 10 bucks, and a kettle you already have. No ‘fancy’ drip making machine needed! Can’t get much cheaper, especially if making coffee for 1 or 2.

I mean all coffee making is essentially the same, there is water going through coffee and through some sort of filter.

I use the James Hoffman V60 technique that he has on his YouTube, and that’s been my go to for a bit.

EDS
11-19-2020, 08:18 AM
A lot of this is personal choice and how detailed you want to be. I tend to reach for the user friendly kalita wave most.

.RJ
11-19-2020, 08:18 AM
More control over water temperature

Yeah, this.

I'll switch back and forth between press, pour over, and aeropress. Sometimes in the same day - I think aeropress is the best tasting, but its a little fussy and the press is a pain to clean.

Pourover is probably the easiest prep and cleanup, just toss the filter in the compost bin.

dsimon
11-19-2020, 08:22 AM
Yum

AngryScientist
11-19-2020, 08:40 AM
i do pour over for my daily coffee.

stovetop pour over kettle with thermometer built in, hario V60 filters and cone. i brew directly into my insulated yeti mug.

i dont know why anyone would consider pour over a "money grab" - it's definitely the cheapest coffee making method out there. even though i do have a very good grinder, the reality is that pour over is much less sensitive to grind than other methods, so you can get away with a cheaper burr grinder if necessary.

with pour over the key is having the water at the right temp and good fresh beans ground right before brewing.

the other bonus is there is no waste. the hario filter paper is compostable, as is the spent coffee grounds. they all go in the compost bin, and judging by the success of the last few years of vegetable gardens i've had - apparently my backyard soil appreciates the beans too.

jkbrwn
11-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Yep, can’t beat a $10 plastic V60. Indestructible and makes a damn fine cup of coffee. I prefer their bleached filters.

And as above, James Hoffman’s V60 recipe is a great starting point. As is having freshly ground, freshly roasted coffee.

BRad704
11-19-2020, 08:45 AM
I like to make my complicated coffee as un-complicated as possible. :rolleyes:

Currently using a cheap Amazon 3-hole ceramic dripper that uses Melitta #2 filters. I've nailed my preferred cup of coffee using 20g of pre-ground coffee and 250g of water at 90-92 C.

I do feel like this cone drains too quickly, because the 'normal' ratio recommended online comes out quite weak. YMMV.

jkbrwn
11-19-2020, 08:46 AM
I like to make my complicated coffee as un-complicated as possible. :rolleyes:

Currently using a cheap Amazon 3-hole ceramic dripper that uses Melitta #2 filters. I've nailed my preferred cup of coffee using 20g of pre-ground coffee and 250g of water at 90-92 C.

I do feel like this cone drains too quickly, because the 'normal' ratio recommended online comes out quite weak. YMMV.

Are you sure it’s not your pre ground stuff being too coarse? I’ve never found melitta filters to be much faster than Hario filters.

Likes2ridefar
11-19-2020, 08:47 AM

Yep. Been there done that, waste of time and money :bike:

Money because I always felt obligated to buy overpriced coffee made by artisans.

My ninja does the same thing at the push of a button and tastes the same as far as I can tell.

I don’t even bother grinding anymore so have a $300 burr grinder collecting dust in storage.

BRad704
11-19-2020, 08:53 AM
Are you sure it’s not your pre ground stuff being too coarse? I’ve never found melitta filters to be much faster than Hario filters.
That's very very possible. But I've used these with my electric grinder too, and I've always noticed it draining pretty quickly. Maybe I need to revisit my grinds and process.

charliedid
11-19-2020, 09:13 AM
Pour-over is one of the hardest ways to get a consistent cup of coffee. Especially cone (V-60) vs a flat bottom like a Kalita. The largest single benefit is being able to brew a cup at at time.

Pick one and take the time to master it and don't assume grind and coffee ratio is the same from coffee to coffee.

If you are buying a single origin bean then it is great to be able to dial that in with a single pour and pull out all the nuance. If you are buying blends and darker roasts you will have a better time with consistency.

If you ever go into a good coffee shop and they do pour-over (we did not when I owned a cafe) and they make drip from a Fetco coffee maker pick the Fetco for a constant cup every single time.

Coffee is as good as you make it.

NHAero
11-19-2020, 09:22 AM
OK gurus - I use an Aeropress. Two questions:
- Is buying ground coffee a poor choice since the Aeropress is kinda an espresso machine? Should I be grinding finer than standard ground coffee (usually buy Equal Exchange or a Peets bag)? I'm not going to invest in a fancy grinder, I have a very basic Krups bladed grinder, which I avoid because the dog goes nutz when I use it :-)
- What temperature is best?

gngroup
11-19-2020, 09:41 AM
Fellow Ode
Hario V60
Fellow electric kettle

Jaybee
11-19-2020, 09:52 AM
OK gurus - I use an Aeropress. Two questions:
- Is buying ground coffee a poor choice since the Aeropress is kinda an espresso machine? Should I be grinding finer than standard ground coffee (usually buy Equal Exchange or a Peets bag)? I'm not going to invest in a fancy grinder, I have a very basic Krups bladed grinder, which I avoid because the dog goes nutz when I use it :-)
- What temperature is best?

If you are happy with your coffee, then you are doing it right. :)

The Aeropress is capable of making a really good rich, nuanced cup of almost-espresso if the grind and pack are right, but it's not necessary. I prefer fresh grind, but if you have reasons not to, keep doing what you are doing.

I do find that Aeropress generally works a bit better at 80C than 90C for temperature, but the difference is almost imperceptible to me and also dependent on the bean and grind.

jkbrwn
11-19-2020, 09:57 AM
That's very very possible. But I've used these with my electric grinder too, and I've always noticed it draining pretty quickly. Maybe I need to revisit my grinds and process.

There's no doubt some filters are faster than others, but I suspect it's grind here. Grocery store coffee doesn't really work that well for a cone brewer IMO. I am at medium-fine for a cone. Though, this may be V60 specific. Because it's open holed, there's no resistance (like you might find in a flat bottom cone) and thus you need a finer grind to allow for the coffee and water to effectively percolate and allow for a proper extraction.

Jaybee
11-19-2020, 09:59 AM
I use pour over for my morning cup. Equipment is a ~$12 ceramic cone from World Market, Melitta compostable filters, a normal stovetop kettle, and an Amazon food scale. Beans from an old friend who roasts, and a cheapie hand burr grinder from Target, grind a tiny bit finer than drip. 28g of coffee, 60g of water (just after it whistles, I've measured this to be 92C here in Denver) to bloom the grounds, 45 seconds, remainder of water to 450g yields just under 12 oz of high quality coffee.

I enjoy the ritual almost as much as the cup every morning.

Ozz
11-19-2020, 10:05 AM
Melitta plastic filter holder....$6.....had it for probably 20 yrs
Melitta #2 filters

easy peasy....

skitlets
11-19-2020, 10:08 AM
Daily brew is Baratza Encore grinder, Fellow electric kettle, plastic Hario v60. With a slow flow kettle like the Fellow, I find the v60 the most consistent brew. The Chemex creates a vacuum which can cause unpredictable flow. Fortunately, chemex filters fit in the v60!

I keep a kalita in the office with a normal kettle. That's also a very easy brew.

I think beans that are too fresh taste volatile and harsh. They seem to hit the sweet spot 2-4 weeks after roasting. I even prefer 6+ week old beans over beans roasted within a couple days.

flying
11-19-2020, 10:30 AM
Can't make a lot at one time but my bet is you can't make anything better tasting with any other pour over method or equipment:

https://aeropress.com/use-it-now/getting-started/

Yes I have slowly simplified over the years to Aeropress & yes IMHO taste is great.

I still have the pour over stuff & a Moka Pot but sold the espresso machine

The Aeropress I run with a reusable metal filter so even easier.

That was one thing I got tired of with pour over...buying the small filters & needing to rinse them first etc etc ;)

One other really nice Aeropress benefit is you can throw it & a bag of coffee in a bag if your traveling ( nothing to break)

eddief
11-19-2020, 10:40 AM
one thing i used to hate about my Encore grinder was the way a lot of fluffy grounds used to stick to the catch container, not come out, and also end up all over the counter.

a tip i found on the net suggested trickling just a few drops of cold water over the whole beans prior to grinding. works like a charm to reduce the static.

hellvetica
11-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Pour over here as well. I never would buy pre-ground coffee, the taste is not even close to the same as fresh ground. There are inexpensive burr grinders out there (I have the bodum and it works just fine).

Definitely not a pain to make every morning, and worth the extra few minutes boiling water and pouring.

Re: filters, I use the Chemex cone filters as well. They do the trick.

Germany_chris
11-19-2020, 10:48 AM
That's a lot of steps for coffee

I dump the coffee in the carafe, add some boiling water, let seep, press, and pour

Monsieur Toast
11-19-2020, 10:52 AM
Hario V60 (I have a ceramic one for home, plastic for truck camping)
Hario 02 filters
Gooseneck kettle
Grind local coffee before twice-a-day cups

I would consider Aeropress and Chemex great alternatives depending on your need.

It's pretty simple, especially considering the results are great coffee.

eddief
11-19-2020, 11:02 AM
I am sure reg ground coffee works just fine but I know you will get better, stronger coffee if it is ground much finer. I have an Encore burr grinder and if I grind the coffee too fine then it is really hard to actually press the coffee through the filter = gotta press with a lot of muscle. But if I back off the grinder two stops then the grind is just a bit more coarse but enables the press to work smoothly and produce delicioso tasting brew.

I have a bottled water dispenser that puts out hot water at 180 degrees.

"OK gurus - I use an Aeropress. Two questions:
- What temperature is best?"

denapista
11-19-2020, 11:03 AM
I recently got this set from SAKI and use my Ceramic V60 dripper on top.
I also use Hario Filters and grind my beans in the morning with a Capresso Infinity grinder. I actually need a new grinder. I've had this one for YEARS!

Inifity used to sell the replacement parts, but no longer offer them. I'm looking at the Baratza Encore or the Fellow Ode Grinder.

I bought an electric kettle with slow pouring spout from Amazon (Korean brand).

I have every single coffee brewer (V60, Chemex, Aeropress and Vietnamese Coffee Maker). The vietnamese coffee cup could get any cyclist up any steep climb after a cup. It's stupid strong!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0022/1393/7252/products/41_QJjH87JL_1024x1024.jpg?v=1597448368

benb
11-19-2020, 11:04 AM
Yah I'm a Hario V60 guy as well. I have a Bialetti Moka Pot, AeroPress, and Chemex as well but I use the V60 the most followed by the Moka Pot.

I have an OXO Burr grinder that was about $100, a $20 digital scale, and a BonaVita electric kettle with temperature adjustment.

I've had lots of electronic drip coffee makers over the years.. I don't see how pour over is a money grab at all. I've never used a drop coffee maker that got close to a good pour really, though I never had a burr grinder + auto drip machine.

My experience with drip machines is they usually cost a heck of a lot more, get dirty, have a lot of plastic that absorbs flavors, are hard to clean, and break after a few years so you get to buy a new one. All the bits for pour over are dirt cheap in comparison, super easy & quick to clean so every cup is made on pristinely clean equipment, and anything you break you're just replacing one cheap item.

I have the ceramic V60, it is my 2nd one, I dropped the first one.

Now if you need to make 10 cups of coffee and no one is picky about their coffee, yah, an automatic drip machine is nice. But I'm the only one who drinks coffee in my house and I drink 1-2 cups a day. When we have guests I use the Chemex and I can make a liter of coffee at a time.

I do find it takes me a few days to get the V60 figured out each time I try a new type of coffee FWIW. The temperature + grind end up having to get adjusted. Otherwise my ratio doesn't change much and I pretty much always do a bloom and 2 pours.

Aeropress is good but for some reason I just don't get into it. If I'm making a foamed milk drink I gravitate to the Moka pot and if I'm making a regular cup of coffee I gravitate to the V60 just cause the V60 can make a larger cup. The Aeropress definitely makes every bit as flavorful coffee though, I find both are really good at getting out the taster's notes out of the coffee, etc..

Rpoole8537
11-19-2020, 11:20 AM
Fellow Ode
Hario V60
Fellow electric kettle

I did buy an electric kettle recently, and that is a great purchase. Fast and consistent.
I have an aeropress that I like, but I've seen at least two ways to use it and I seem to always end up with a half cup of coffee. What process do you follow to get a reasonable size cup of Jo.

eddief
11-19-2020, 11:25 AM
I put four scoops of coffee in the press set over a 16 oz stainless coffee mug. Fill the press 3/4 full of hot water, stir, press, remove press, dilute that strong nearly expresso mixture by topping off the mug with additional hot water. delicioso.

I did buy an electric kettle recently, and that is a great purchase. Fast and consistent.
I have an aeropress that I like, but I've seen at least two ways to use it and I seem to always end up with a half cup of coffee. What process do you follow to get a reasonable size cup of Jo.

denapista
11-19-2020, 11:27 AM
Someone mentioned adjusting to coffee and grinds with new beans..

Dialing that in takes me a week. I go from the V60 to the Chemex as they have wildly different tastes after they brew.

I swap between Medium grind, to Coarse, etc.

woolly
11-19-2020, 11:30 AM
Similar experience. Aeropress can yield pretty decent coffee, but works best with a coarser grind than one would use for a true espresso machine.

Agree that regardless of how fine or coarse the grind, fresh-ground always produces better results than pre-ground.

I am sure reg ground coffee works just fine but I know you will get better, stronger coffee if it is ground much finer. I have an Encore burr grinder and if I grind the coffee too fine then it is really hard to actually press the coffee through the filter = gotta press with a lot of muscle. But if I back off the grinder two stops then the grind is just a bit more coarse but enables the press to work smoothly and produce delicioso tasting brew.

I have a bottled water dispenser that puts out hot water at 180 degrees.

"OK gurus - I use an Aeropress. Two questions:
- What temperature is best?"

adamhell
11-19-2020, 11:32 AM
lol at people rolling their eyes at the attention to detail (and small amount of money) paid when making coffee. you realize the irony on this forum, right? it's not a bad thing to have a hobby and care about quality and process, and spend a little money, same thing as with bikes.

maxwell house=full sus mtb from target
starbucks=late 90s trek hybrid
blue bottle=cannondale caad 10 105
heart=breadwinner
george howell=tomii

or something... :confused:

fmradio516
11-19-2020, 11:32 AM
I have used a Hario v60 for daily coffee for years, but now am trying to experiment with grind size. I used one size for years but i think it may be too coarse. To experiment, i tried a pre-ground version of the same beans and it tasted much much better than my home-ground... so, grind is everything!

45K10
11-19-2020, 11:33 AM
I used to do pour over until I started doing cold brew a couple of months ago. Man what a difference! Same beans (Illy) same burr grinder but just a coarser setting. The taste is much better and since it is concentrated you can make individual cups stronger or weaker. I'll never go back.

Here is a good resource if anyone is interested:https://www.javapresse.com/blogs/cold-brew/the-ultimate-guide-to-cold-brew-coffee

Saxon
11-19-2020, 11:40 AM
At one time I was buying green beans from all around the world and roasting them at every level in an antique coffee roaster to search for the perfect cup. Grinding them in my Olympia grinder. Press, pour over and Technivorm. Now I use this...

simplemind
11-19-2020, 11:45 AM
I keep reading comments about this filter is faster, that filter is slower, and inconsistent pour-over cups. Well, as I have mentioned before, if you’re doing pour-over, then The Clever Dripper (https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee-Dripper-Filters-Included/dp/B00BCS13IW/ref=asc_df_B00BCS13IW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167147331067&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8609717712573806391&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028310&hvtargid=pla-312206736183&psc=1) is yo Mama.
I mostly use a stainless filter for the robusta flavor profile (oils), but paper works well too. Grind medium to medium-coarse, 105º water, and a 3 minute brew time. You’ll love how easy and consistent it is.

jkbrwn
11-19-2020, 12:09 PM
I keep reading comments about this filter is faster, that filter is slower, and inconsistent pour-over cups.....

Yeah.. but.. even the speed of the filter you use with your Clever will affect the eventual cup of coffee you get.

In fact! James Hoffman made a video on this very thing this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIvN8mlK9Y&t

tctyres
11-19-2020, 12:31 PM
Ultimately, it's where your priorities are. I got tired of having problems with my drip pot. I had it for 10 years. It was a Cuisinart. In the end, the coffee always had a metallic flavor to me.

I've used an aeropress in the past. They make *one* excellent cup of coffee, all things being set up right. I generally drink about 3 cups though, so about 900 mL in my morning mugs.

Right now, I'm a dripper guy:

I use a Chantal Lotus dripper with a #4 filter, and 50-60g of ground coffee. Coffee ground in the morning is generally a lot better than pre ground. I will use either depending on where I am and what is available.

I pitched my old kettle that I had for about 18 years. I bought an Oxo that was recommended by ATK, and it is super. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq41tfIz9yc

I also bought a Hario V60 pot that I use daily.

pottshead
11-19-2020, 01:22 PM
I’m more of an espresso person, but got a new Moccamaster for super cheap on EBay a couple years back. Does the trick and is really easy.

jamesdak
11-19-2020, 01:34 PM
Dang at 4 am in the morning when I get up for work I sure don't have time to waste making coffee. Life's to short to mess with all of this, LOL!

gngroup
11-19-2020, 02:10 PM

For the V60 Pour Over, I go with about 10oz of water, 20g of ground coffee (about 3 tablespoons). Wet the filter first, then coffee, 200 degree water. Enjoy!

jkbrwn
11-19-2020, 02:32 PM
For the V60 Pour Over, I go with about 10oz of water, 20g of ground coffee (about 3 tablespoons). Wet the filter first, then coffee, 200 degree water. Enjoy!

The imperial vs metric in this makes my head hurt :rolleyes:

Differs coffee to coffee for me, but I always find 30g of coffee to 500g of water works well. I start with this ratio for both Aeropress and V60 and adjust accordingly.

Tz779
11-19-2020, 03:51 PM
I think beans that are too fresh taste volatile and harsh. They seem to hit the sweet spot 2-4 weeks after roasting. I even prefer 6+ week old beans over beans roasted within a couple days.

whaaat?!
i have roasted beans in my oven on a steaming basket and it was WAY better than any freshly roasted coffee.

benb
11-19-2020, 03:52 PM
Yah my typical ratio is 18-20g of coffee to 360g of water.

My heart got palpitations reading tctyres talking about drinking 900ml of coffee by himself made from 50-60g beans in a short period. That's some serious caffeine.

Monsieur Toast
11-19-2020, 04:43 PM
Concerning the ratio of beans to water, you also have to take into account the grind to get a complete picture of how long they are being saturated by water.

For one cup of coffee I have been following this ration for almost a decade now – 25g grounds, 375g water. Two cups scales the same – 50g grounds, 750g water – but the grind changes to something more coarse. This is all with a V60 & 02 filter pour over.

skitlets
11-19-2020, 04:53 PM
whaaat?!
i have roasted beans in my oven on a steaming basket and it was WAY better than any freshly roasted coffee.

I know it is a controversial opinion but a friend who runs a small coffee company agrees!

Apparently I am not alone: https://clivecoffee.com/blogs/learn/is-your-coffee-too-fresh

tctyres
11-19-2020, 05:58 PM
Yah my typical ratio is 18-20g of coffee to 360g of water.

My heart got palpitations reading tctyres talking about drinking 900ml of coffee by himself made from 50-60g beans in a short period. That's some serious caffeine.

Right!?! I used to drink a full 10 cups back in 2019 (remember the good old days???). I'm down considerably this year. During shelter in place, I was doing 2 cups. If I have none, I get a headache. If I have too much ... wait there is no too much.

bigsledog
11-19-2020, 07:33 PM
Hario V60 guy as well. I have a Bialetti Moka Pot, AeroPress, and Chemex

I’m right there with ya - n+1 coffee maker life

thwart
11-19-2020, 07:55 PM
I know it is a controversial opinion but a friend who runs a small coffee company agrees!

Apparently I am not alone: https://clivecoffee.com/blogs/learn/is-your-coffee-too-fresh

In the industry, we all know that super fresh coffee is not good. The beans need time to off-gas the latent carbon dioxide. The carbon dioxide translates to carbonic acid in the cup which is astringent as all get out...
Over the course of the last few months, I have conducted a battery of tests using coffees with age ranges from 1 day off roast to 1 1/2 years off roast. The tests were all done blind and all done to taste, no scientific equipment (refractometer et al) was used. The results were startling and made me reconsider my definition of peak freshness. As expected, the coffees that were in the 7-21 day range were delicious. The real surprise, however, were the coffees at a month, 2 months+. Only, after about 3 months did we notice a truly discernible loss of what I would call vibrancy. The coffees still tasted just fine, but had lost the higher acid notes that constitute a balanced cup. Hell, the 6-month tasted fine too. It wasn't until the year and a half coffee that it was completely evident that the coffee was old. There was no bloom on the brew and the taste, while still oddly sweet, was lifeless.

Interesting opinion. And possibly useful when buying coffee for my pour over that has printed roast dates.

Rpoole8537
11-19-2020, 07:58 PM

It's been ten years ago since I roasted my own coffee, but I followed a process that had me allow the beans to release their co2 over night on a couple of large cookie sheets. I started getting great coffee from a local roaster, but I have noticed that often a new bag taste a bit harsh. I have usually attributed this to a brewing error. Has anyone else received this?

zzy
11-19-2020, 08:03 PM
Hario v60 with a metal filter, Baratza Encore set to 15, Bonavita gooseneck kettle at 202-198*, fresh roasted coffee mixed 17:1. My go to for the lighter roasts I prefer, a bit hotter and weaker for darker roasts. I drink about a half litre a day with about 1oz of coffee. The right pouring technique is very meditative.

williammmm
11-20-2020, 05:57 AM
I made a video of my aeropress recipe/method for my father in law a few years ago.

It’s a recipe that probably took a few months for me to “perfect” (acknowledging that it’s perfection to my taste buds), but in case you’re/OP is looking for another inexpensive coffee maker.

I’ve stuck with this same recipe for the past 11 years. I have a v60, a chemex, some other lesser known devices, but I always end up coming back to Aeropress.

https://youtu.be/B-Z3BFUOMWA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
11-20-2020, 06:28 AM
I use the James Hoffman V60 technique that he has on his YouTube, and that’s been my go to for a bit.

i watched this yesterday and incorporated a few of the tips into my normal morning routine, notably the "swirling" - and good golly, i think i can taste some difference for the better. thanks for sharing that vid!

NHAero
11-20-2020, 07:26 AM
Like button!

I made a video of my aeropress recipe/method for my father in law a few years ago.

It’s a recipe that probably took a few months for me to “perfect” (acknowledging that it’s perfection to my taste buds), but in case you’re/OP is looking for another inexpensive coffee maker.

I’ve stuck with this same recipe for the past 11 years. I have a v60, a chemex, some other lesser known devices, but I always end up coming back to Aeropress.

benb
11-20-2020, 08:24 AM
I often get local coffee that's < 1 week from roast date, sometimes as short as a day or two.

A lot of these pour over methods have a step to try and let C02 off gas. Who knows how well that works, but you can really see a difference on a < 1 week old light roast vs a month old dark roast, so something is going on.

It also takes me a week or two to drink to go through a 12oz bag.

Maybe I can notice it getting better after a week or so.

If it takes me long enough to drink I kind of feel like the flavor fades.. but keeping it in the bag in a dark cabinet seems superior to leaving it in the grinder in that aspect. My grinder is supposed to block UV light but who knows if it works.

Rpoole8537
11-20-2020, 09:06 AM

Thanks. I'll take a look! just what I needed.

C40_guy
11-20-2020, 09:20 AM
I use the Bonavita BV4000ID which gives control over drip through. Most of the other pour over setups allow the water to go through immediately.

What are the pros/cons of one approach versus the other? (I haven't tried just pouring through, versus letting it steep for four minutes. I should probably try that and answer my own question.)

Also, by the way, I stopped using this setup a number of years ago, and switched over to a french press. A doctor mentioned that paper filters might cut cholesterol by as much as ten points, so I started using it again in September. In the past I had used metal filters, now I'm using the Melitta paper filters.

Also, interestingly, this has cut my coffee consumption by 50%. I couldn't really get the Bodum 8 cup french press to make a single good cup, so I ended up drinking two cups every day. Now I typically make the single cup and that's it. I don't know whether it's because the coffee is different, or I'm just lazy. :)

sparky33
11-20-2020, 08:01 PM
Chemex first, Aeropress a close second. Unhurried brewing of freshly ground quality beans - consistently great. simple. easy to clean (actually clean). cheap.

A cone pour and melitta does the job when done right. Stir and pour slowly.

I’d rather drink instant coffee than use and maintain a countertop drip coffee machine - horrifying.

merlincustom1
11-21-2020, 02:23 AM
I’m a little anal about coffee. Water’s in a Berkey filter. Stagg kettle to 198 degree extraction temp. Hario V60 porcelain with Hario brown filter on a Hario digital scale. Coffee home roasted in a Behmor. Baratza Virtuoso set to 20. Coffee ground immediately before the pour. Filter is pre-wet. 16 to 1g water to coffee ratio. Pour is 4 equal installments, first of which is one minute for coffee up to 3 days old, otherwise 30 seconds, and the rest are at 30 seconds. After the last pour I pre-heat a porcelain drinking cup with water from the pour. I also do siphon. Coffee almost as cool as bikes, but not quite.

kiwisimon
11-21-2020, 02:31 AM
I use a measure of grounds in a beaker of hot water filtered through a paper filter after a three-four minute soak to help remove cafestol Great taste and a cleaner cup than a French press gives. Supposedly healthier.

Rpoole8537
11-23-2020, 11:28 AM
I purchased a Vario 60 and the #2 filters and used fresh roasted Guatemalan light roast. Result was a fantastic, smooth cup of coffee. I use an Encore grinder, and I think I will grind just a bit finer tomorrow. I do appreciate all the info, and after the holiday, I’ll once again review the video on the Aeropress and give that a try!

BRad704
11-27-2020, 07:47 AM
There's no doubt some filters are faster than others, but I suspect it's grind here. Grocery store coffee doesn't really work that well for a cone brewer IMO. I am at medium-fine for a cone. Though, this may be V60 specific. Because it's open holed, there's no resistance (like you might find in a flat bottom cone) and thus you need a finer grind to allow for the coffee and water to effectively percolate and allow for a proper extraction.

Jumping back in here to say you were completely right. I stopped being lazy and got my grinder out, and it's made a WORLD of difference. Previously the final grounds would all be on the sides with a significant hole in the bottom. Now they're taking nicely as their supposed to, and it takes less coffee too.

I switched brands lately, so I can't say the quality is "better", but it's darn good now.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201127/8f1f59dc1ea5e7bfe8dc33ef302a50e3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201127/cd705854904fb70e1731507bed284664.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jkbrwn
11-27-2020, 04:50 PM
In IT there’s a joke that goes ‘It’s always DNS’. Well, in the world of coffee, more often than not ‘it’s always the grind’ :)

Seramount
11-27-2020, 05:29 PM
got tired of buying filters, got a french press.

never regretted it.

john903
11-27-2020, 06:02 PM
Yup, we love our pour overs. My wife and I have been doing coffee this way since 1989. We use a plastic Milita filter cone and reusable cloth filter. As most people have noted it is all about the grind and how fast you pour the water. One main reason we like them is we can make individual cups just to our liking. My wife will drink one big cup (16oz) in the morning while I will have a small 4oz in the morning them 10:00ish then another around 2:00ish.
As much as I enjoy this style of coffee a Espresso machine is on the horizon.

fmradio516
11-28-2020, 07:51 AM
any deals out there for a burr grinder that isnt amazing($$) but isnt crap? Trying to replace my $50 Cuisinart that is so inconsistent.

DRZRM
11-28-2020, 09:51 AM
For the money, I like the Boden Bistro, entry level, but does the job. On sale now.

https://www.bodum.com/us/en/10903-01us-3-bistro?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=aa1d0eb7de14af115910511 ee64cacc5701a1be5-1606578465-0-AWriM69uYIHh4pCF1gJxms-xbOHr-sPHZFnNLT6kR0g28mVqIRt_e4Yq-w1MOKt9Cb2b-mHhWwKcIi-b0qLd4lKTKEbepvKNbq-GgzzaqmOYxZVDMQ_RRzu6yFEHhVYPITzlpw2n1rwU6EfTW2EOS KI3wM65af5WFm-eziURI5OVBrD6RCSunaS4CNixxCihQVJhMUozLXzygfT_4LtiK lKDH2XuiXIpaEBBbzvw-nRVbNcBjvGq2hxUaWNRO6bR6REBxrC4rCQtUHp8e4jsj_1T7Iu 4pwDBl_r_vKf66VR0QWKn0WYJycKQGmruizaFA6_pi-2Kfwku-ik9JcvMosU

eddief
11-28-2020, 10:06 AM
i hear not the best for espresso but great for all else. just do it.

https://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Encore-Conical-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B084HNY3BG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12AoXcweQPsxqb4P0Dcl1QuvE4wA05eruYqn1q J1Fxim8ccV6I6A9gIaAmR7EALw_wcB&hvadid=409926249745&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032311&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9905330146393748140&hvtargid=kwd-43705397719&hydadcr=13930_11130054&keywords=encore+grinder&qid=1606579183&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20

any deals out there for a burr grinder that isnt amazing($$) but isnt crap? Trying to replace my $50 Cuisinart that is so inconsistent.

C40_guy
11-28-2020, 10:22 AM
In IT there’s a joke that goes ‘It’s always DNS’

Where were you when I was trying to figure out why my new mesh router was taking forever to load web pages? :)

charliedid
11-28-2020, 10:32 AM

You could do worse than this at $50

https://www.bodum.com/us/en/11750-01us-bistro?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12DNGrkwZfqOrqmdlliAFAbUKR1vRIz70UeGGx X-unBlpzUq4z-uawAaAo9UEALw_wcB&___store=us_en

Baratza Encore rarely on sale but a great grinder for all but espresso and for many it does fine.

charliedid
11-28-2020, 10:59 AM
I travel with a Handground but for daily it’s not my fav.

simplemind
11-28-2020, 11:13 AM
I think the best of the “cheapo” grinders is the Capresso Infinity ("https://www.wholelattelove.com/collections/capresso/products/capresso-infinity-plus-conical-burr-coffee-grinder-in-silver”). You will get some fines, but it’s a very reliable unit and perfect for pour-over. I have had 2, and just retired it for a Baratza to up my espresso game.

EDIT: I just saw this on a BF deal: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/eureka-mignon-crono-coffee-grinder

fmradio516
11-28-2020, 11:30 AM
I think the best of the “cheapo” grinders is the Capresso Infinity ("https://www.wholelattelove.com/collections/capresso/products/capresso-infinity-plus-conical-burr-coffee-grinder-in-silver”). You will get some fines, but it’s a very reliable unit and perfect for pour-over. I have had 2, and just retired it for a Baratza to up my espresso game.

ha! Thats what im using for espresso now. Maybe i should upgrade my espresso grinder and use the capresso for drip.

m_moses
11-28-2020, 12:13 PM
I think I’m getting a bit of grinder envy. I have a Solis Maestro that I’ve had for probably 15 years. It looks almost exactly like a Baratza Encore. It’s never had any maintenance other than opening it up periodically to brush the excess residue from the internals.

I’m not convinced I need a new one but I notice that Baratza no longer services the Solis models. I use mine for brewing with a French press, occasional pour overs and brewing with a moka pot.

Would a new Encore or Virtuoso model enhance my morning coffee experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

simplemind
11-28-2020, 12:18 PM
I think I’m getting a bit of grinder envy. I have a Solis Maestro that I’ve had for probably 15 years. It looks almost exactly like a Baratza Encore. It’s never had any maintenance other than opening it up periodically to brush the excess residue from the internals.

I’m not convinced I need a new one but I notice that Baratza no longer services the Solis models. I use mine for brewing with a French press, occasional pour overs and brewing with a moka pot.

Would a new Encore or Virtuoso model enhance my morning coffee experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a Baratza Forte’ BG (https://baratza.com/grinder/forte-bg/) As stated above and I have to say I really do like it. It will weigh out each grind, and it seems quite accurate. It has way more features I haven’t explored yet, but so far so good.

MikeD
11-28-2020, 12:58 PM
I've got both a Baratza Preciso and a Vario W grinder. I like Baratza because repair instructions and parts are available for a reasonable cost. I don't like the amount of plastic parts internal to the grinder. Because of that, I don't think the grinder is as precise and durable as it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NHAero
11-28-2020, 01:34 PM
I use an Aeropress pretty exclusively and I'm not a connoisseur. Is there a burr grinder than is particularly suited to the amount and fineness of grind for the Aeropress?

skitlets
11-28-2020, 01:44 PM
I use an Aeropress pretty exclusively and I'm not a connoisseur. Is there a burr grinder than is particularly suited to the amount and fineness of grind for the Aeropress?

The grind size is similar to pour over, so any of the previously mentioned grinders will work for you. I have a capresso and a baratza encore. I don't think the baratza is worth the premium -- I get more fines than with the capresso. Better to save money with the capresso or spring for something more expensive.

geeter
11-28-2020, 01:50 PM
It is far and away the cheapest way to make coffee. You can buy a Melita cone at most grocery stores for $5. Grab a box of #2 filters and a kettle and you make coffee. You can get into the weeds with weight, temp, etc but that is not necessary.

I finally got a Mocca Master in April and I can tell you it is amazing. After making pour overs exclusively for about a decade it is nice to have the ability to make a big pot and enjoy it. But my ceramic Hario is still strong after years of abuse. It even has a crack in it and hasn't missed a beat.

I also have a Caspresso Infinity I got as a wedding gift years ago that is going strong. I clean it once in a while and it just works.

sparky33
11-28-2020, 03:17 PM

I tried the inverted Aeropress today. It does make a great cup.

NHAero
11-28-2020, 03:30 PM
Agree, I've switched to that method. What are you using to grind the beans?

I tried the inverted Aeropress today. It does make a great cup.

sparky33
11-28-2020, 03:39 PM
Agree, I've switched to that method. What are you using to grind the beans?

Just an old no name grinder. Nothing fancy. It is small, grinds coffee and won’t die. I suppose I could stand to get a decent one after all these years - recommendations?

NHAero
11-28-2020, 04:56 PM
Shimano, with disc brakes

Just an old no name grinder. Nothing fancy. It is small, grinds coffee and won’t die. I suppose I could stand to get a decent one after all these years - recommendations?

Clancy
11-29-2020, 06:59 AM
Also, by the way, I stopped using this setup a number of years ago, and switched over to a french press. A doctor mentioned that paper filters might cut cholesterol by as much as ten points, so I started using it again in September.

In all politeness, is there any data to support this? I use paper filters but the reason I ask is reading such statements drives me crazy. Usually it’s “they” say but often “doctor” or “lawyer” is substituted. I’m not doubting that your doctor actually told you this, but is there any evidence or data?

Seeing that Mr. Coffee and other common cheap coffee makers uses paper filters and are extremely common then if this was the case I would think manufacturers would tout this with huge statements all over their packaging along with full page ads as well as TV.

I am going to look into that dripper. I just switched to a Clever Dripper which I’ve found makes a wonderfully flavored and very smooth cup of coffee. Only issue is they are designed to fit over a standard coffee cup where my favorite cup is a large mug that it teeters on but works.

kiwisimon
11-29-2020, 07:17 AM
In all politeness, is there any data to support this? I use paper filters but the reason I ask is reading such statements drives me crazy. Usually it’s “they” say but often “doctor” or “lawyer” is substituted. I’m not doubting that your doctor actually told you this, but is there any evidence or data?

CAFESOL it's a thing,
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/06/070614162223.htm
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/what-is-it-about-coffee

Cafestol and kahweol: Filtering out cholesterol boosters

Coffee drinkers concerned about cholesterol weren't happy about some early study results showing that coffee seems to increase cholesterol levels, and "bad" LDL cholesterol levels in particular. But upon closer inspection, the bad news turned out to be not so bad, because the cholesterol-raising effect seems to be limited to coffee that hasn't been filtered, which includes Turkish coffee, coffee brewed in a French press, and the boiled coffee consumed in Scandinavia.

The cholesterol-raising ingredients in coffee are oily substances called diterpenes, and the two main types in coffee are cafestol (pronounced CAF-es-tol) and kahweol (pronounced KAH-we-awl). They are present either as oily droplets or in the grounds floating in the coffee. But a paper filter traps most of the cafestol and kahweol, so coffee that's been filtered probably has little, if any, effect on cholesterol levels.

The best evidence is for paper filters, but an interesting study published in 2011 showed that filtering methods used in Singapore (the so-called sock method, which uses a cotton-nylon cloth) and India (metal mesh) were also effective at trapping cafestol.

Espresso contains more cafestol and kahweol than paper-filtered coffee, but because it is consumed in smaller amounts, it may not have much of an effect on people's LDL level.

There is a twist to this aspect of the coffee story, because cafestol and kahweol may also have some health benefits that are lost when they're filtered out. The research is in the preliminary stages, but cafestol and kahweol could have some anticancer effects and be good for the liver.

charliedid
11-29-2020, 08:03 AM
Always wear a helmet and bright colored clothing when consuming hot beverages and you'll live to be 109

simplemind
11-29-2020, 08:36 AM
I am going to look into that dripper. I just switched to a Clever Dripper which I’ve found makes a wonderfully flavored and very smooth cup of coffee. Only issue is they are designed to fit over a standard coffee cup where my favorite cup is a large mug that it teeters on but works.

You need a “Clever Adapter”! :D Something like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/623110752/coffee-cup-shim-aeropress-mug-adapter or this: https://imgur.com/gallery/IlceNBI?nc=1

I have the large Clever and use this filter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SF5JYSM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Very nicely made with two screen layers and get very little particulate. BTW, my cholesterol level is great!

C40_guy
11-29-2020, 02:53 PM
The research is in the preliminary stages, but cafestol and kahweol could have some anticancer effects and be good for the liver.

Crap. A doctor treating me for a liver issue recommended I switch back to pour over due to the cholesterol impact. I'll have to circle back with her on this!

Nice doctor, by the way, triathlete. Just my level of informal...stuck her finger in my belly button when we first met and asked if I had a hernia.

Cute too. :)

fmradio516
11-29-2020, 03:03 PM
Nice doctor, by the way, triathlete. Just my level of informal...stuck her finger in my belly button when we first met and asked if I had a hernia.

:hello:

kiwisimon
11-29-2020, 03:52 PM
Crap. A doctor treating me for a liver issue recommended I switch back to pour over due to the cholesterol impact. I'll have to circle back with her on this

Did your blood work change?

C40_guy
11-29-2020, 04:02 PM
Did your blood work change?

What, when the doc stuck her finger in my belly button? :)

Don't know...my TC has been trending upwards over the past couple of years and the recent liver issue (AIH) has complicated the situation a bit. I'm doing another blood draw later this week, and a full InsideTracker (http://www.insidetracker.com) panel after the 'roids are out of my system.

Coffee is better, though, and I'm drinking an average of one cup a day versus 2-3 with the Bodum french press.

kiwisimon
11-29-2020, 04:13 PM
hopefully the bloodwork comes back with positive results.

You know that after the belly button the next finger is up the #2 pipe.

goodluck.

C40_guy
11-29-2020, 07:11 PM

Saw my PCP last week and for some reason she skipped that one.

That's okay, I'll be taking a nap and having a camera shoved up there in the spring. First/last time, ten years ago went fine, no big deal...except...

Farging doctor wrote in her show notes (trip report?) that I was in "satisfactory condition." Hey doc, were you paying attention? I thought I rated at least a "good" if not "excellent" description.

C40_guy
04-28-2021, 06:45 AM

goodluck.

Was just talking about this yesterday with a friend. He was complaining about his doctor having big meaty hands and the FIT test (finger in tuchus) never goes well.

I haven't had that problem with my doctor...*she* has small hands. :)

C40_guy
04-28-2021, 06:48 AM

Thanks for asking...been testing every couple of weeks, and just did a full panel with InsideTracker (http://www.insidetracker.com).

Cholesterol is down, don't know whether it's due to the paper filter or something else.

Other markers generally got better too...but we still haven't figured out what the long term approach will be...