PDA

View Full Version : Swift Paloma - does it bounce around on rough trails?

weaponsgrade
11-17-2020, 12:48 PM
I just picked up a Swift Paloma for my gravel bike. Maybe I didn't install it correctly but it seems that the Kickflix mount allows the bag to swivel up around the bars and towards the rider. There's a wire that wraps around the stem to prevent the bag from swiveling down. The bag seems that it'd do fine on smooth terrain, but I've got some bumpy descents. Has anyone had problems with the bag bouncing around when things get bumpy?

charliedid
11-17-2020, 07:26 PM
Are the clamps not tight against the bars? You sure you have the right size clamp etc.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv89Ty5Ik0E

weaponsgrade
11-17-2020, 07:44 PM
Are the clamps not tight against the bars? You sure you have the right size clamp etc.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv89Ty5Ik0E

I'm using the large 31.8 clamps (on my 31.8) bars. It looks like the clamps are designed to NOT fully tighten against the bars. Instead, it's the wire that provides most of the structural support. The wire loops under the stem and over the bars and prevents the clamp from rotating down towards the tire, but it doesn't prevent the clamp from rotating up towards the rider. The comments from "OX King" in that YouTube video seem to confirm that's how it's supposed to work.

charliedid
11-17-2020, 08:03 PM
I'm using the large 31.8 clamps (on my 31.8) bars. It looks like the clamps are designed to NOT fully tighten against the bars. Instead, it's the wire that provides most of the structural support. The wire loops under the stem and over the bars and prevents the clamp from rotating down towards the tire, but it doesn't prevent the clamp from rotating up towards the rider. The comments from "OX King" in that YouTube video seem to confirm that's how it's supposed to work.

Hmm for some reason I don't recall that but it's been a while.

But yeah it would be unnerving on bumpy off-road.

truth
11-17-2020, 08:07 PM

It sounds like the clamps are too loose. If they're all the way tight maybe shim them with a few wraps of electrical tape or a beer van shim? My non-swift klikfix bag didn't have this issue.

AngryScientist
11-17-2020, 08:20 PM
how much weight are you putting in the bag?

in general, i dont think if anything beyond negligible weight is involved, a simple clickflix bar mount only is sufficient for bumpy gravel use. you really need a rack or some other hard mount to triangulate the load and add stability of the bag.

at least that's my experience.

theboucher
11-17-2020, 09:17 PM
I have a Paloma also and have experienced the same thing. You should be able to tighten the screws enough to prevent it from happening. I really only use it for very lightweight stuff, as I don't like the way it changes the handling with anything substantial in it. I have a feeling it functions better with loaded panniers on lowrider racks where you have more mass to steady the front wheel.

weaponsgrade
11-17-2020, 09:40 PM
The weight limit is 15lbs, but I should be well under that. I’m looking to carry a tube, multi tool, good sized sandwich, bag of chips, small thermos of coffee, and a jacket. On the way back, it’ll be 4 Arsicault croissants (https://arsicault-bakery.com/home).

chrismoustache
11-18-2020, 09:11 AM
I'd need to see what a 'good-sized sandwich' means to you :)