PDA

View Full Version : Wireless PowerTap

rideon
02-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Anybody have any experience with the new wireless PowerTap?

I'm considering buying something to use for power measurement. The SRM looks to be a bit expensive.

Thanks in advance.

zank
02-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Ergott just built up my new wheel with a Powertap SL 2.4. I've got about 20 hours on it so far and everything is working great. I read on another forum to replace all of the batteries straight away, which I did. I don't get any signal drops and the computer is very easy to navigate.

I use Cyclingpeaks software, which is very cool if you are a data nut like me. The funny thing is now that I am using a powermeter, I don't look at heart rate. It has also changed how I ride to a large extent. I noticed right away that I ease up on top of every rise. Now I pedal straight over the top and keep the power going.

I am very happy so far. If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Lanternrouge
02-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I haven't personally used the new wireless, but know several people who have on and no complaints. My experience is similar to Zank's with regard to the heart rate. I almost never even wear the strap any more since I find the power data more useful and I can get it without wearing a strap around my chest. I would also highly recommend cyclingpeaks. It's a small extra price when you look at the overall cost of training with power. Be forewarned, that you will get addicted to having data for your rides.

Grant McLean
02-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I use Cyclingpeaks software, which is very cool if you are a data nut like me. The funny thing is now that I am using a powermeter, I don't look at heart rate. It has also changed how I ride to a large extent. I noticed right away that I ease up on top of every rise. Now I pedal straight over the top and keep the power going.

I often wonder if most people use the data to change their technique.
You'd think that was the whole point of having it real time, it can be
a valued tool. I joke that heart rate 'monitors' are just that...
somthing to look at, but do the same old thing you always do.
IMHO these tools should change your behaviour.

The heart rate should be useful to compare over time, as it gives the
ability to compare with power. If you're getting better, you should be able
to put out more power at the same heart rate, which you can see only if you
have both parts of that data.

g

asgelle
02-14-2007, 07:42 PM
If you're getting better, you should be able
to put out more power at the same heart rate, ...
I see the first part about more power, but not the second about lower heart rate. If before I could TT at 275W with HR 175 and now I can TT at 300 W at HR 180, I'd say I improved even if I still ride at 275W and a HR of 175.

Brendan Quirk
02-15-2007, 05:19 AM
Training with power is fun. Training with power is interesting. Personally, my attention span has gotten to the point where I get more out of the real-time-telemetry it provides than the rich depth of data it gives for deeper post-ride analysis. But that's just me turning into an old man with bad habits(!)

But perhaps most relevant to your question -- the 2.4 has proven to be the most reliable Power Tap yet. Cycleops waited as long as humanly possible to release it to the public as they tested it time & time again.

We sell a quite healthy # of Power Taps (I'm sensitive to the rules of the forum, so I'm trying to be careful with my words on that point...) I only state that as background to say that we've had only one QC-related hiccup to a system. Any other performance issues we've seen have all been related to less-than-perfect set-up by the owner. (Here's a new abbreviation for the forum: PBKAC.) Once the set-up was touched up, all was well. This puts it in the same realm of QC as SRM.

Perhaps best of all, Cycleops has managed the manufacturing of the 2.4 really well. Unlike past product releases, availability is quite wide open. Your LBS can get one for you immediately from QBP. They are in stock there.

I think you'll be happy with it. It's been great news all around here.

92degrees
02-15-2007, 08:18 AM
I'm still tweaking my wired SL. The shop that set it up has a lot of experience but I was still getting signal drops. I've moved my antenna <3" from the hub and switched the batteries in the hub but still get 1-2 signal drops in a 2hr ride. I can't see it as a battery issue in the computer (the display stays on and they have a low-battery indicator?) but I may try that next. No biggy -- the data gets captured fine, it's just nice to have things work perfectly if possible.

FlaRider
02-15-2007, 08:50 AM
I own both a Power Tap (non-wireless) and three SRM Pros. The SRM is definitely on a higher level in terms of reliability and fuctions and gives you the option to use any wheel you want. I would go SRM if you can afford it.

Fuzzybird
02-15-2007, 09:38 AM
I've had mine for two months now and no problems at all. Local shop set it up and mine still has the original batteries. It has changed the way I train, I can't wait to get home and download my data to CyclingPeaks.

Chris
02-15-2007, 09:53 AM
rather than one SRM, as I have a race bike and a training bike. Mike Garcia built me identical training and racing setups with Niobium 30s laced to 24 and 28 hole powertap hubs along with a 24 and a 20 hole speedcific front wheel. The powertaps are great and so are the wheels.

dreadpiratetim
02-15-2007, 10:33 AM
There seem to be two threads going here: one related to the PT2.4 and another related to training with Power data.

On the first point, I have a PT2.4 and am very happy with it... I've been riding it since the end of November. I can't compare it to any other systems, as I haven't used them. I do know that it tracks the data I need and seems to do so with consistency if not accuracy. (There are a number of internet discussions about the most accurate measuring devices; SRM seems to generally get the nod, but there are strong supporters for Ergomo and PT.) Data drops with the PT2.4 are occasionally an issue, but not enough to disrupt training or skew the data in a meaningful way.

On training with power, there is a great forum at http://groups.google.com/group/wattage?lnk=gschg&hl=en that covers just about any issue you can imagine. I agree with the above posters that HR data is superfluous when using power data... particularly for rides of 2+ hours due to heart rate drift caused by core temp increases and/or dehydration.

Be aware there are valid questions about what you should do with the data. If you're just staring at a number, you probably don't need to measure wattage. At a minimum you will be able to quantify when you can go harder and when you should back off... both for training and for racing. If you study Coggan's and Friel's books then you can really begin to put together a prescriptive plan to get stronger and faster. This is where the CP software can really help, as well, with data analysis and cumulative stress measurements.

Good luck with your decision!