PDA

View Full Version : Eddie B Passed

Hellgate
11-17-2020, 12:06 PM
Cyclingnews.com: Eddie Borysewicz, coach to LeMond, Armstrong, dies at 81.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/eddie-borysewicz-coach-to-lemond-armstrong-dies-at-81/

fiamme red
11-17-2020, 12:14 PM
RIP. I still have his book. It has lots of good advice about racing, also some dubious ideas (e.g., that racers should eat horse meat rather than beef).

Here's a post by the late Steve Tilford: http://stevetilford.com/2013/02/19/eddie-b/.

Marvinlungwitz
11-17-2020, 12:19 PM
I remember that post on Tilford’s blog, mostly because of Inga Thompson’s response.

ColonelJLloyd
11-17-2020, 12:23 PM
While perhaps not practical for a stateside athlete, I would not call this dubious. I suspect he recommends this because for the same amount of protein there is comparable fat and cholesterol but much, much more iron than the beef.

bigbill
11-17-2020, 12:38 PM
My favorite Eddie B memory was of him yelling at Clark Sheehan who was holding on for the stage win in the Tour DuPont in 1995. Sheehan had been in a two man break with Abdu who dropped after the sprint points and before the climb.

mhespenheide
11-17-2020, 12:49 PM
I would say he was much more influential to the crop of American '84 Olympians than Lance or Greg. But still a giant in his day for USA cycling.

Michael Maddox
11-17-2020, 12:51 PM
I remember that post on Tilford’s blog, mostly because of Inga Thompson’s response.

This was also what I recalled. I've heard this story from far too many people.

fiamme red
11-17-2020, 12:54 PM
I would say he was much more influential to the crop of American '84 Olympians than Lance or Greg. But still a giant in his day for USA cycling.From a 2011 article:

https://www.mcall.com/sports/penn-state/mc-xpm-2011-07-28-mc-cycling-masters-nationals-072811-20110728-story.html

Eddie B. had such an eye for talent and the methods for helping to develop it that he coached Greg Lemond early in his career, and discovered Armstrong as a junior road rider. He has since helped launch the career of Tyler Farrar as well as Lehigh Valley transplant Iggy Silva.

"I pick [Armstorng] on the road when he was a nobody junior and with me he learned biking," the Polish-born Borysewicz said with a smile and a wag of his finger. "I am happy about Lance, and I am happy about [Greg] Lemond. I am not happy that there is friction between these guys.

"About Lance, you hear 'dope, dope, dope,' but nobody prove. That's [expletive] talk, and that's what really hurts the sport. I don't know if it's true. It's words against words. Even with friends and teammates, what kind of friend says that, what kind people is that? That's like the bird who [expletive] in his nest."

redir
11-17-2020, 03:22 PM
Ah! What a bummer that covid got him. Could have had a few more years for sure. RIP Eddie B and I still have the book too.

David Kirk
11-17-2020, 06:27 PM
I read and reread his book many times as a young man.

RIP Eddie B.

dave

Gummee
11-17-2020, 07:31 PM
The guy was a fixture at the track in Sandy Eggo. Seemed like a great guy, but I didn't know him very well

M

flying
11-17-2020, 08:41 PM
RIP. I still have his book. It has lots of good advice about racing, also some dubious ideas (e.g., that racers should eat horse meat rather than beef).

Here's a post by the late Steve Tilford: http://stevetilford.com/2013/02/19/eddie-b/.

Yes RIP Eddie B

Funny you mention the one thing that really stood out in my mind about that book too ;)

Davist
11-18-2020, 05:51 AM
In Italy, it's fairly common to feed kids horsemeat as horses are picky eaters and it's believed that their meat is "cleaner" because of this. It's also common to avoid ice in cold beverages as it will give you indigestion, as some may know. Worked with/traveled to Italy a bunch over the years.

homagesilkhope
11-18-2020, 12:45 PM
In Italy, it's fairly common to feed kids horsemeat as horses are picky eaters and it's believed that their meat is "cleaner" because of this. It's also common to avoid ice in cold beverages as it will give you indigestion, as some may know. Worked with/traveled to Italy a bunch over the years.

In the Veneto region of Italy, the really good stuff is puledro (colt) and - especially in the fall and winter - spezzatino di musso (stewed donkey meat), yum!

54ny77
11-18-2020, 01:17 PM
I hear Spanish jamon is the go to these days. It helped a few modern day Spanish riders win some big races. Must be the special organic diet that they're fed. Amazing contribution to oxygen carrying ability for elite athletes. Who knew?

Scott5182
11-20-2020, 06:22 PM
I have memories of Eddie whacking us on the back with a yard stick as he rode next to us hanging out of the van saying” flat back ! flat back” . A great coach.

Hellgate
11-20-2020, 07:03 PM
I have memories of Eddie whacking us on the back with a yard stick as he rode next to us hanging out of the van saying” flat back ! flat back” . A great coach.Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

merckx
11-20-2020, 07:40 PM
If he used a baseball bat he would have been a better coach.

marciero
11-21-2020, 04:38 AM
I have memories of Eddie whacking us on the back with a yard stick as he rode next to us hanging out of the van saying” flat back ! flat back” . A great coach.

Cycling version of dour-faced catholic nun administering ruler across the knuckles at piano lesson.

William
11-21-2020, 06:48 PM
Cycling version of dour-faced catholic nun administering ruler across the knuckles at piano lesson.

Kind of like...

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc230/bigdummy71/Funny/penguin.gif

W.

peanutgallery
11-21-2020, 09:05 PM
Being in the not quite elite crowd from the late 80s to the mid 90s, I have heard crazy stories about Eddie B. For every 10 things he said, the 11th was a doink. All stories were true

On the other hand, he did a lot to discipline and develop cycling talent in the US. At the time , the euro crowd was blue collar and the US crowd was definitely populated by philosophy majors from Vassar. Eddie applied accountability and expectations to a generation or 2 of some incredible talents that just needed the rod (as it were) and a plan. Tons of formerly soft, now rich, retired racers owe their livelihood to the fire that Eddie lit under their butts. It was a great run. Alas, all that has been frittered away by the current state of racing in the US

Eddie was an incredible ambassador/motivator of the sport of cycling in the US. His reasons for doing so, we'll never know. Collectively, he deserves a big thank you for his send-off into the great unknown

Godspeed