PDA

View Full Version : Help figuring out an ironic situation

BURCH
02-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Here is the deal.

Moved to the Northeast for 6 years. While there I always wanted to ride the Boston MS150 because I have in-laws on the cape who live right on the route. The ride is in June and every year was the same thing...Wedding, Wedding, Wedding (everybody gets married when you are in your mid 20's). The weddings were all close friends and I couldn't skip out on them. There was one year where we couldn't go because my wife wanted to go to some other event.

Since we have moved down to Louisville, my one sister-in-law has gotten all into cycling. She did the ride last year and wants to get a team together this year. My wife is all in and thinks that we should pack up the bikes and fly to Boston for the event this June.

My dilemma....
There is just too much irony for me to do this ride. 6 years of hoping to do this ride and now that we are 1,200 miles away it looks like this June is completely open. I feel like we should just find something local to do instead of forcing this ride (we aren't talking a ride in the Alps here. Just your typical MS150).

Aghhhh!!!!

Any opinions on whether doing this ride is worth the effort now?

93legendti
02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Go...you kill 3 birds with one stone: do a charity ride, see the in-laws and do a ride you always wanted to do.

Kevan
02-14-2007, 10:04 AM
http://www.plentymorefish.co.nz/images/chapterimages/11.jpg

rwsaunders
02-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Split the difference and join us in Pittsburgh for the MS on 09-10 June 07. We're always looking for new additions to the team.

inGobwetrust
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Hello! You get to do a ride you've always wanted to do and your wife is on board! What am I missing here? There's no question, just travel arrangements...........

Ginger
02-14-2007, 02:46 PM
You wanted something for years that previously your wife has blocked. Now, she wants it and you don't (because well...now you *can* have it.)

I see these games all the time. Tell me again what's ironic about this situation?

Get on board, go on the ride and have fun.

ispy
02-14-2007, 03:50 PM
Sticking to your principles will likely become emotionally exhausting to "keep up". And you won't be giving up anything by going, really. Be the generous guy, dump the albatross from your shoulder, and go have a great time.

gt6267a
02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Which is more important A) being pissed about the past or B) enjoying the present and future?

chakatrain
02-14-2007, 04:14 PM
...like the MS150 and their ilk, as community building, as much as anything else. I like to build community as much as I can, in this day and age of generic sameness/supermall culture. I'd go, but then again...giving advice is always a strange thing, since I haven't walked the proverbial mile in your shoes. What do you really value and where do you want to put your efforts? What outcome do you really want?