PDA

View Full Version : Andrew the touring MASTER....

Serotta PETE
02-14-2007, 05:59 AM
Serotta Andrew is in the design and development stage for me new Randoneer.....

He is even fitting a rack and unique bag for the back.. He says a liter of red will fit nicely in it, as well as two glasses. Now that is planning..

;)

scooter01
02-14-2007, 06:19 AM
Pete , you know they always take really good care of you :)

I guess thats why you will soon have two bikes!

Ray
02-14-2007, 06:21 AM

He is even fitting a rack and unique bag for the back.. He says a liter of red will fit nicely in it, as well as two glasses. Now that is planning..

;)
The very definition of loaded touring.

:beer:

-Ray

RABikes2
02-14-2007, 06:54 AM
Look forward to seeing photos of your new bike, Pete! :banana:
RA

Bradford
02-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Andrew fitted me out for my current touring bike back before he changed his first name to Serotta.

You are in good hands.

Ozz
02-14-2007, 10:13 AM
..... He says a liter of red will fit nicely in it,...Now that is planning..

;)
What drinkable wine comes in 1 litre bottles???....Maybe he should plan for two 750 ml bottles ;) :beer:

Serotta_Andrew
02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Was thinking of using full wood fenders for Pete.

What do you think??

dave thompson
02-14-2007, 10:35 AM

What do you think??
Gives me wood!

pdbrye
02-14-2007, 12:59 PM

;)
What tubing material are you considering? Steel, Ti? I haven't seen too many pics of a Serotta randoneer style bike.

Serotta PETE
02-14-2007, 01:30 PM
What tubing material are you considering? Steel, Ti? I haven't seen too many pics of a Serotta randoneer style bike.

It will be Ti and since I do not plan on loaded touring with front rack, it will probably have a carbon fork..... Leaving all this to Andrew and there will be pictures and communications with the FORUM family. Actually SEROTTA and ANDREW have plenty of experience, so I am leaving it to the Andrew...

Since it is not steel, Smiley is forbidden from being near the build process - - or I will end up with Steel (but a ti decal) ;) :no:

cpg
02-14-2007, 01:34 PM

What do you think??

They don't work that well so I wouldn't bother. There's other fenders that actually keep you dry.

Curt

dbrk
02-14-2007, 02:03 PM

What do you think??

Oh my, no, no. Not if the bike is going to be really used rather than a handsome showpiece. Berthoud or Honjo would be a far better choice. And if I may be so bold: Fenderlines, fenderlines, fenderlines. (And no riser stem!)

dbrk

sspielman
02-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh my, no, no. Not if the bike is going to be really used rather than a handsome showpiece. Berthoud or Honjo would be a far better choice. And if I may be so bold: Fenderlines, fenderlines, fenderlines. (And no riser stem!)

dbrk

Agreed....The hammered Honjos should give you all the wood that you will need....

Smiley
02-14-2007, 02:55 PM
The wood fenders look really KOOL , what , were talking about Pete , if it rains dude will be indoors someplace drinking Red and waiting for the rain to stop :)

fiamme red
02-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Do wood fenders keep you and the bike clean? Look at these pics and decide:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=153633&postcount=1

They do look pretty, but they're not very useful.

SKS work very well and look good too. And they're much easier to set up than Honjos.

Serotta_Andrew
02-14-2007, 03:29 PM
They don't work that well so I wouldn't bother. There's other fenders that actually keep you dry.

Curt

who said anything about riding in the rain!!! you only get wet doing that!!! total style points

Serotta_Andrew
02-14-2007, 03:31 PM

dbrk

if it is raining.. then Pete is stopping at the nearest wine bar and calling Spokes to come and get him!!

cpg
02-14-2007, 03:41 PM
who said anything about riding in the rain!!! you only get wet doing that!!! total style points

I hear ya but why bother. Seems sort of like putting streamers behind the bar plugs. Style with no function. Ooo... pinch me! Try the Berthoud carbon fenders. Style with a smidge of function. BTW nobody plans to ride in the rain do they? Well maybe the folks in Seattle do.

Curt

Serotta_Andrew
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I hear ya but why bother. Seems sort of like putting streamers behind the bar plugs. Style with no function. Ooo... pinch me! Try the Berthoud carbon fenders. Style with a smidge of function. BTW nobody plans to ride in the rain do they? Well maybe the folks in Seattle do.

Curt

thought about the carbon fenders as well.... Pete never said anything about fenders, just wanted the option to put them on the frame if wished. Thought about the carbon fenders but think the wood fits more of Petes style... also it matches the wood casks for the red wine!!!!!

Speaking of red... here is something for Pete to carry his red wine... it fits a bottle and two glasses perfectly... no Douglas.. it is not leather

Serotta PETE
02-14-2007, 03:52 PM
I saw the picture of the wood ones and think they are beautiful but

after seeing the way DBRK did his bikes, I really like the Berthoud or Honjo.

Rain will probably be a mute point because ANDREW and I will have to call SPOKES to get us after we drink that 1.5 liter (two bottles) of red and anything else we can find.

Or the bike might just lean against the window of wine bar on main st in SARATOGA.

We might have the wood fenders for show/photo and fixing ANDREW up with the local ladies...and the Berthoud or Honjo when I go up to DBRKs great area. (not this week with that snow....)

Just called Mike from CYCLESPORT and busted him about the "ice sculptures" they have around the shop. It is not Ken's 60 here but it is 50.... WE will not talk about tomorrow for it is not going to be nice here.....

Had Mark to the GYM today and he flat refuses to go out on bike tomorrow for it will be in 30s.... All he kept on saying was C-O-L-D, COLD , C-O-L-D
"I do not do COLD!!!!!" :no: :no: :no:

Serotta PETE
02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
thought about the carbon fenders as well.... Pete never said anything about fenders, just wanted the option to put them on the frame if wished. Thought about the carbon fenders but think the wood fits more of Petes style... also it matches the wood casks for the red wine!!!!!

Speaking of red... here is something for Pete to carry his red wine... it fits a bottle and two glasses perfectly... no Douglas.. it is not leather

I love that bag - -but there is no wine in it....Guess Andrew is keeping warm up there......

Bradford
02-14-2007, 04:31 PM
it fits a bottle and two glasses perfectly
Seems like that mix is either one bottle too few or one glass too many.

dauwhe
02-14-2007, 04:57 PM
SKS work very well and look good too. And they're much easier to set up than Honjos.

The setup admittedly takes a long time, but only has to be done once. And according to my opinion, the Honjos (or Berthouds) look so much better (and work better) that it's more than worth it. For a bike this nice, I'd go with Berthoud/Honjo.

Dave

pdbrye
02-14-2007, 06:46 PM

Who makes it and where do you put it? ie, rack, saddle, hb?

dauwhe
02-14-2007, 07:29 PM
That's a rack trunk by Arkel...

Dave

cpg
02-16-2007, 12:53 PM

That's cool. I'm thinking given Pete's fondness of vino, where's the ti corkscrew? You know how the whole bottle opener on the drop out has been done too many times but I don't remember a corkscrew. Fire up that CNC and spit one out.

Curt

Serotta_Andrew
02-16-2007, 01:11 PM
I love that bag - -but there is no wine in it....Guess Andrew is keeping warm up there......

Pete... here is your wine!!

Serotta PETE
02-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Bottles are empty - - what happened to the wine??????

Did you do this for weight savings????? :beer:

Serotta_Andrew
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Bottles are empty - - what happened to the wine??????

Did you do this for weight savings????? :beer:

Pete, take a closer look... it is a full bottle!!!

Ozz
02-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Pete,

What are we going to do with you.....for such a nice bike, put some GOOD wine in the bag...something like this: Boudreaux Cellars (http://www.boudreauxcellars.com/index.html)

"Enjoy our wines in honor of Boudreaux, that infamous Cajun folklore character known for his brilliant sense of humor and his pursuit of, yes sir, high adventure."

Ti Designs
02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Andrew the touring MASTER - sounds kinda strange, but it's true. Back before his first name was Serotta we worked at the same little shop in Belmont. People got to know me from rides and they trusted my advice (fools!!!). Then at some point some of 'em would decide to do some touring and they would ask me about touring bikes and such. I know racing bikes, I know tandems, I know fixed gears, Andrew knows touring.

Touring bikes aren't about the latest, greatest components. Andrew and I had a bit of a laugh at the thread on exotic parts on true touring bikes - yeh, try to get that fixed in Turkey or Mexico or Kansas... Touring bikes are about details and experience, lots and lots of both. Experience tells you that certain bags will get in the way of your heels or that top loaders don't go on front low-riders 'cause you keep banging your head on the bars when you need to get in there. The little details of a touring bike come to you after a couple hundred miles - "it would be great if this bike had...". Lots of people think they can design a great touring bike, few understand or respect what it takes.

The best story of a touring bike design in progress has to be the IF Independence and it's designer Mike. Mike was a bit of a nut when it came to touring bikes, but he also understood the need for testing. Mike would build himself a prototype, throw on some parts and go - not even painted! I was racing in the Killington stage race when the pack came by this fully loaded rider heading up the access road - it was mike, 200 miles from home on a fully loaded prototype of the IF touring bike... Fast forward a few years, the Independence is now a standard offering from IF. It's the one touring bike frame that everything just works on - brakes, fenders, panniers, it all works together perfectly. Testing and details...

Right about now I'll bet Andrew is over at the local wine shop, tape measure in hand, taking notes on bottle shapes and heights...