PDA

View Full Version : Campy Shifters w/ sShimano Cassette?

Lifelover
02-13-2007, 10:26 PM
I kind of recall someone saying they have ran a Shimano 10 speed wheel and cassette with Campy 10 speed shifters and derailers and it worked fine.

Is that true?

2mnyBikes
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Shiftmate allows you to mix and match.

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

sbornia
02-13-2007, 10:44 PM
I run 9spd Chorus w/ King hub/DA 9spd cassette and FSA crank on my CX bike, no problems.

musgravecycles
02-13-2007, 10:47 PM
here here...

I've ridden this setup (shimano wheel/cassette/chain--campagnolo everything else) since Shimano 10 came out.

You don't need anything fancy to make it work, just throw the wheel in, double check der. adjustment (limit screws, etc) and away you go...

jhcakilmer
02-13-2007, 11:12 PM
I've tried it several times, and had great results. The first time, I used my friends Ksyrium SL shimano 10spd, and just threw it on my campy drivetrain, and it worked surprisingly well. After some minor adjustments, it worked perfect. I don't know how much each wheel may differ, but in my experience, they seem interchangable, as long as you set it up correctly....but that kinda goes with everything

Lifelover
02-14-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks!

I knew about the shiftmate but I thought it might work without anything just wasn't sure.

dbrk
02-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks!

I knew about the shiftmate but I thought it might work without anything just wasn't sure.

I don't use the Shiftmate gizmo (one more gizmo on yet another set of dedicated-must-buy-the-coporate-whole-or-suffer design intention) and I'm quite happy using Campagnolo 10spd shifters on Shimano 10spd cassettes. Small adjustments are required, that's all.

dbrk
planning no more brifter bikes...

thwart
02-14-2007, 07:16 AM
I've ridden this setup (shimano wheel/cassette/chain--campagnolo everything else) since Shimano 10 came out.

You don't need anything fancy to make it work, just throw the wheel in, double check der. adjustment (limit screws, etc) and away you go...

I don't use the Shiftmate gizmo (one more gizmo on yet another set of dedicated-must-buy-the-coporate-whole-or-suffer design intention) and I'm quite happy using Campagnolo 10spd shifters on Shimano 10spd cassettes. Small adjustments are required, that's all.

Good to hear. Seems the party line I've heard more than a few times is OK with 9 spd---but not 10...

dbrk
02-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Good to hear. Seems the party line I've heard more than a few times is OK with 9 spd---but not 10...

Nine speed shifters (C or S) with opposite cassettes work better than 10. The ten are much more finicky. This is part of the reason I am working on abandoning 10 speed...I want to simply swap out wheelsets and getting things to work with the absolute minimal adjustment is always my goal.

I have 10 spd DA STI shifters for sale if anyone needs/wants them. I'm currently in too much work to make a really sincere effort to sell.

winter is when i read sanskrit more than play with bikes...procrastinating to get out on the ATV to plough a bit of snow too,

dbrk

zap
02-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where one can purchase Campy 9spd dt shifters.

BoulderGeek
02-14-2007, 09:56 AM
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know where one can purchase Campy 9spd dt shifters.

I don't know, but I really miss the aesthetic of downtube shifting.

There was something je-ne-sais-quois about friction shifting, silently moving gears, playing the strategy game.

It's like driving a manual car. Modern brifter shifting is like having a Tiptronic transmission. Not really manual, not really automatic.

coylifut
02-14-2007, 11:02 AM
Nine speed shifters (C or S) with opposite cassettes work better than 10. The ten are much more finicky. This is part of the reason I am working on abandoning 10 speed...I want to simply swap out wheelsets and getting things to work with the absolute minimal adjustment is always my goal.

I have 10 spd DA STI shifters for sale if anyone needs/wants them. I'm currently in too much work to make a really sincere effort to sell.

winter is when i read sanskrit more than play with bikes...procrastinating to get out on the ATV to plough a bit of snow too,

dbrk

Hey if you are going brifter-less, go deep and give up shifting all together. You could pair your collection down to 5 bikes. Road bike with fenders, without, SS CX, SS Mtb and an actual trake bike. Heck, just go with one bike. Ride to the top of the mountain, do yoga, read Sanskrit, spin home.

dbrk
02-14-2007, 11:11 AM

thwart
02-14-2007, 12:15 PM
The ten are much more finicky. This is part of the reason I am working on abandoning 10 speed...I want to simply swap out wheelsets and getting things to work with the absolute minimal adjustment is always my goal.
That's exactly what I've been thinking. I've only been back into road biking for about two years, but that said---it seems that the interchangability of 9 speed is very attractive, and appears to be from a functional standpoint, absolutely bulletproof. 10 speed on the other hand (by either manufacturer in my relatively limited experience) is more prone to noise and other trouble, requiring an upshift or downshift, and more fine tuning with the rear derailleur.

I am not a serious racer, so the gear spacing difference between 9 speed and 10 speed is not a significant issue for me.

If I was a little bit more cynical, I would say that they adopted 10 speed equipment to ensure that you would have to commit yourself to one or the other...

atmo
02-14-2007, 12:19 PM
i live on ergo levers w dura ace cassettes
during 'cross seasons. shimano's 27t is an
important cog atmo. hey - thanks for reading.

Big Dan
02-14-2007, 12:27 PM
8 speed Campagnolo and/or Shimano was enough for me..........

:cool:

Ahneida Ride
02-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Actually

I would love to up date to down tube shifters.

Question is: On a 64 cm bike, It's a long reach down there !!!!
Is there a solution?

musgravecycles
02-14-2007, 01:22 PM
Question is: On a 64 cm bike, It's a long reach down there !!!! Is there a solution?

Barcons...
;)

Dave
02-14-2007, 02:11 PM
Anyone who's bothered to compare would know that the cog spacing difference between the two brands of 10 speed is slightly less than the 9 speed difference. The clearances between the chain and the cogs has not become any closer with 10 speed either. The only difference is a smaller amount of RD travel per shift.

The idea that 10 speed is more finicky than 9 might be true with Shimano (never used it), but after 7 seasons with Campy 10, I find nothing finicky about it. The bike I built up this spring has no frame mounted cable adjusters. I stopped once on the second or third ride to give the cable adjuster on the RD 1/4 turn and never touched it again for the next 2500 miles.

Those complaining about the lack of compatibility need to pick a brand and stick with it. I use Campy only and never have shifting problems. Just about every brand of hub or wheel except Chris King and Shimano are available with a Campy compatible cassette body.

billrick
02-14-2007, 02:27 PM
Those complaining about the lack of compatibility need to pick a brand and stick with it. I use Campy only and never have shifting problems. Just about every brand of hub or wheel except Chris King and Shimano are available with a Campy compatible cassette body.

Easy to preach if you are a racer or the "industry-standard" cyclist. Ask any randonneer who rides with a large bag or map case up front how they feel about it - the Shimano STI cables get in the way of the bag and the Campy cassettes don't have enough teeth for your typical hilly 1200k ride. And then there are those of us who just hate how some companies engineer incompatibility into their product as a means of enforcing brand loyalty. Ugh.

;)

Dave
02-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Easy to preach if you are a racer or the "industry-standard" cyclist. Ask any randonneer who rides with a large bag or map case up front how they feel about it - the Shimano STI cables get in the way of the bag and the Campy cassettes don't have enough teeth for your typical hilly 1200k ride. And then there are those of us who just hate how some companies engineer incompatibility into their product as a means of enforcing brand loyalty. Ugh.

;)

Campy offers a 13-29 10 speed cassette that is lower than the 12-27 offered by Shimano. Either can be coupled to a triple crank. I use an FSA triple crank with 53/39/28 chainrings and a 12-25 cassette for the mountains. It's got me to the top of Mt. Evans (elev. 14,000+) five times. My lowest gear ratio is the same as a 39/35. If that's not low enough then a 13-29 cassette will give me a 28/29 low that equivalent to a 39/40. Still not low enough? You can put on a 26T chainring, perhaps even a 24.

If none of those options are low enough, there's always a 44/32/22 MTB triple crank, but the FD might not shift the small rings very well.

If you're willing to try an off-brand cassette, IRD makes a 12-32 Campy spaced cassette.

http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html

CalfeeFly
02-14-2007, 02:59 PM
Shiftmate allows you to mix and match.

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

Looks like the old Rollamagig (spelling?) from the mid 90's...

bigbill
02-14-2007, 03:23 PM
I have put close to 20K on my shimagnolo commuter. I use 9 speed chorus brifters, RD and FD with shimano hubbed wheels and SRAM cassettes/chains. I use a dura ace 7410 crankset so maybe it contributes a little karma to the whole setup.

billrick
02-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Sure, I get all that. Shimano offers 32 and 34-tooth cassettes. Personally, I like Sheldon Brown's custom Shimano cassettes but I prefer the feel of Campy Ergo shifters. So that is what I am running. And I have no shifting problems. I was just pointing out that different folks have different needs, and it is great that no one is forced to conform with one brand's marketing-driven, narrowly engineered doo-dad.

Campy offers a 13-29 10 speed cassette that is lower than the 12-27 offered by Shimano. Either can be coupled to a triple crank. I use an FSA triple crank with 53/39/28 chainrings and a 12-25 cassette for the mountains. It's got me to the top of Mt. Evans (elev. 14,000+) five times. My lowest gear ratio is the same as a 39/35. If that's not low enough then a 13-29 cassette will give me a 28/29 low that equivalent to a 39/40. Still not low enough? You can put on a 26T chainring, perhaps even a 24.

If none of those options are low enough, there's always a 44/32/22 MTB triple crank, but the FD might not shift the small rings very well.

If you're willing to try an off-brand cassette, IRD makes a 12-32 Campy spaced cassette.

http://www.interlocracing.com/cassettes_steel.html

Marburg
02-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Just for the sake of argument, I've run a few cassettes on a 9-spd mutt (Campy shift/der, Shimano cassette) setup both mit and sans Shiftmate. sans Shiftmate is a 97% works-all-the-time-except-when it doesn't solution. mit Shiftmate is a 100% solution.**

If it was just a little cheaper and just a little more available I'd say there's no reason not to use one.

** Past performance is no guarantee of future riding pleasure. Your mileage may vary. Offer not available in HI,AK, and Northern Pakistan. Offer not available to employees of IRS, Trek Bicycles Inc, and Knight-Ridder News Service. Subject to change at any point for no particular reason. Shiftmate may burst into flame or cause "limp bizkit" syndrome without warning. Do not use Shiftmate without doctor's supervision.

Ken Robb
02-14-2007, 09:54 PM
$35 from PJ White seems pretty fairly priced.

Lifelover
02-14-2007, 10:05 PM
** Past performance is no guarantee of future riding pleasure. Your mileage may vary. Offer not available in HI,AK, and Northern Pakistan. Offer not available to employees of IRS, Trek Bicycles Inc, and Knight-Ridder News Service. Subject to change at any point for no particular reason. Shiftmate may burst into flame or cause "limp bizkit" syndrome without warning. Do not use Shiftmate without doctor's supervision.

Do you also write the Axe commercials?

Marburg
02-14-2007, 10:51 PM
Do you also write the Axe commercials?

And the fine print on Atmo's contracts...