PDA

View Full Version : Bicycles in the Art Museum?

mosca
02-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Recently I was pondering the fact that there have been “art exhibitions” featuring such functional objects as motorcycles and guitars in some of those highbrow New York art museums, but I can’t recall if such a thing has been done with bicycles. I know there are museums featuring bicycles from a historical perspective, but to present a range of bikes for their aesthetic significance would be very interesting, I think.

I know there is a tremendous amount of knowledge here on the forum, so this is your chance to play curator for the hypothetical “Guggenheim’s Art of the Bicycle” exhibition and submit any and all suggestions – with pictures if possible.

Have fun! :D

ada@prorider.or
02-13-2007, 07:27 PM
http://www.prorider.org/smithsonian.htm

CJH
02-13-2007, 08:20 PM
This one resides at the MOMA NYC...

julia
02-13-2007, 09:55 PM
you beat me to it. . .when I saw this at moma last year I laughed. . .we have steve's dad's old moulton on the front porch, he rode it all over grand forks. steve's mom still rides hers.

shinomaster
02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
I think the Moma has a black Cinelli cnc frame in it's permenant collection, as "art" or industial design, and the original flight saddle is in a museum someplace too.

David Kirk
02-13-2007, 10:56 PM
This one resides at the MOMA NYC...

Two of my favorite wheeled things.

Dave

ispy
02-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Grand Central Terminal.
Featured 30 bikes (re)made by students at SCI-Arc
(Southern California Institute of Architecture).

The small image was all I could dig up.