PDA

View Full Version : MTB brakes

scrooge
02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Any MTB experts that can tell me the key differences between Avid Juicy 7s and BB7s (I know one is mechanical/cable and the other is hydraulic). I'm trying to find that great balance between "value" and performance--so is it worth it to pay the extra 60 bucks (for pair) on the Juicies?

Thanks

Archibald
02-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Any MTB experts that can tell me the key differences between Avid Juicy 7s and BB7s (I know one is mechanical/cable and the other is hydraulic). I'm trying to find that great balance between "value" and performance--so is it worth it to pay the extra 60 bucks (for pair) on the Juicies?

Thanks
Go with the Juicies. The BB7's are fine as long as you run full length cable housing, but the Juicies have better modulation. I have a couple sets of Juicy 7s and they've all been perfect. I have several sets of BB7s. They're good as long as the cables are clean and routed well but the "feel" is azz.

To paraphrase Pulp Fiction:

Now this is BB7, from Avid.

Very good stuff. This is Juicy 5, different, but equally good. And this is Juicy 7 from the Hartz Mountains of Germany.

Now the first two are the same, forty-five an ounce -- those are friend prices -- but this one...(pointing to the Juicy 7)...this one's a little more expensive. It's fifty-five.

But when you use them, you'll know where that extra money went.

Nothing wrong with the first two. It's real, real, real, good sheet.

But the Juicy 7 is a f'n madman.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

ashwinearl
02-15-2007, 07:37 AM
if you are not very mechanically inclined than BB7s. If you don't mind bleeding every now/then J7s (which is pretty easy with the special bleed kit)

The price on 2007 J7s has come down a lot so they are good values.

The difference between J7s and J5s is the adjustablilty in the lever engagement point. J7s allow you to dial this in and J5s do not.

If you have small hands or are particular than definitely j7s. I love my J7s

Ken Robb
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
do the JUicy brakes weigh more? Do we care?
FWIW, Bicycle Warehouse in San Diego advertised a set of Shimano hydraulic brakes and both wheels for $200 last week.

Marburg
02-15-2007, 05:47 PM
The fundamental distinction here is between a hydraulic disc brake == Juicy (hydraulic cylinder at the handlebar, hydraulic hose to the brake, hydraulic piston at the brake) versus a mechanical disc brake == BB7 (v-brake lever at handlebar, standard brake cable and housing, mechanical disc brake unit). You'll get lots of opinions, so here's mine:

hydraulics are generally speaking more powerful, and they "feel" better -- less squishy, etc. They are also less susceptible to dirt, grime, wear and tear (as per previous note about disc brakes working better with full housing to protect the cable)

hydraulics require a different (note, I didn't say harder, but certainly different, and possibly more challenging) skill set to set up and maintain. brake bleeding, hydraulic fluid, etc. BB7s can be setup reasonably by anyone with a set of cable cutters and fifteen minutes.

if you have to go mechanical, the Avids are the only choice.

There's no clear winner in the hydraulic world, though the Juicys are well regarded.

I think the weight is actually a toss-up once you include the v-brake levers in with the weight of the BB7s. For a long time mechanicals were lighter.