PDA

View Full Version : OT: Fondriest Opinions...

SoCalSteve
05-21-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi all,

Just curious as to what everyone thinks of their framesets. Both carbon and Aluminum w/ Carbon rear ends.

As always, thank you in advance,

Steve

collinsc
05-21-2004, 07:36 PM
Fantastic.

I can't vouch for any other than their Top Level, all aluminum, frameset but man do I love it. It has quick precise steering (via both the unspecified HT angle and the rock solid fork) but is still stable and comfortable with relatively, for this style of bike, long chainstays.

While I could not say it rides as smooth as others, it transfers less road buzz than my last Ti frame (same wheels, tires) and does not beat me to a pulp after 100 miles.

I dont believe they (Fondriest-USA) offer the Top Level any longer, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Carb Level as I cannot imagine the seat stays making the bike less awesome. I think there are a few other guys here with some Top Level experience, but I dont recall any carbon owners. Might want to search over on roadbikereview for more info.

Bob H
05-21-2004, 09:35 PM
The Don Racer is a compact aluminum climbing frame with a full carbon Mazuno fork. I don't think that this frame is in production anymore, but they're still available at pretty reasonable prices. I ride a very small frame, so I can't speak to this bike's characteristics in larger sizes - and there is a weight limit. This bike has a very stiff rear triangle and as advertized, climbs beautifully both in and out of the saddle. Its light too - builds up to about 17 lbs with Record 10 and decent wheels. It's a little twichy at low speeds but handles beautifully at speed as long as the roads are smooth. The bikes weakness is fast decents on rough roads. The complete lack of vertical compliance - even with a carbon fork and handle bars really throws you around. Another bike that you might check out is the Status Carb. I wish I had bought this over the Don Racer. Not quite as good a climber but a very nice riding steel frame with a full carbon fork and a carbon rear triangle. There are some good deals on these frames as well if you can find your size.

The Top Carbon is a different animal altogether. This is a semi-compact frame that climbs as well as the Don Racer, has instant acceleration, and soaks up bumps beautifully. Not quite as quick handling as the Don Racer, but much better balanced. With a set of Reynolds carbon tubulars, it built up to just over 14 lbs, but doesn't feel the least bit fragile. I really love this bike - which is a good thing, as it burned up my bike budget for the next decade or so. I haven't ridden any of the other new Fondriest carbon frames, but they are supposed to have a similar feel with just a slight weight penalty.

One last thing is the finish on these frames. The graphics look like they are molded right into the paint and have a lot of nice detail. Some of the paint options are slick too.

Good luck... Bob H.

shinomaster
05-22-2004, 02:23 AM
I rode my cousins Madona..something something..and honestly I liked my cannondale caad 4 better...

collinsc
05-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Got any pics of that Top Carbon Bob?

Bob H
05-22-2004, 11:44 AM
I put some shots in the custom gallery.

Bob H.

dnovo
05-22-2004, 12:05 PM
Having owned a few, including their Status Carb (steel) and Carb Level (al and carbon stays) I think you will find that they build an excellent frame, on the par with any of the top level, larger Italian companies such as DeRosa or Colnago. They offer a broad spectrum of frames, most of which are not sold in the US. That makes them appear to be a small shop, while their actual output is guite respectable.

At the same time, they are far larger and more production-oriented than companies which have only a handful of employees like Dario Pegoretti.

Or, you may want to consider a frame from what I will call the mid-tier Italian companies, muchsmaller and more specialized. Carrera and Tommasini fall within this group, with their outstanding products something to really consider.

Hardly 'one man bands', but small enough where your frame still gets a great deal of hand care. I own a couple of steel Carrera frames, and they are superb. Check out Tommasini as well. Steel, aluminum, even ti. The fit and finish on these, as with the Carreras that Douglas and I own, is outstanding and the prices are very reasonable. Dave N.