PDA

View Full Version : Oh, how the lowly have fallen.

Tom
02-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Time and temperature intersected nicely this weekend. Saturday I rode 38 miles, the first half into what the Albany NWS said was a 20-30 mph headwind, gusts to 38. Coming back home was a blast, a steady 25-28 miles an hour along the river not trying at all. Just don't ask what it was like heading out. Today was 42 a little hilly, and I have to admit I struggled some toward the end. For the last half hour I had an enormous peanut butter and honey sandwich floating along in front of me. I was hungry. I was cold. I came home, took a hot bath and slept for about half an hour. I don't even want a beer.

The thing is, this summer I would have been doing these rides before work four days a week and longer both days on the weekend. So much for maintaining anything remotely resembling fitness over the winter.

At least it's getting warmer and lighter, and I can get out of my cellar.

manet
02-11-2007, 03:47 PM
today's biathlon: 2.5 hr ride at mid-day, and hockey 7-9pm.

davids
02-11-2007, 03:54 PM
2 hours riding the Wompatuck trails, followed by 15 minutes test-riding a Specialized Stumpjumper after riding by their bike-laden trailer in the parking lot. It was a lovely winter day, but I'm beginning to crave warmer, milder weather...

sg8357
02-11-2007, 04:20 PM
23 miles @ 25 degrees, felt good.
First time in two weeks it has been that warm on a riding day.

The Sat. ride was cancelled under rule 23b, windspeed higher than temp (f).
Sometimes I think the ride leader just make these thing up ;-).

I felt bad when cleaning the salt off the bike and found the chainstay cracked at the drop out. Chromed drop outs, only took 26 years to break, damm.

Scott G.

stevep
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
nice out.
road bike. trails still screwed w/ snow, shiite
3 hrs sat windy
3 hrs sun not much wind
nap sun pm

Kevan
02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
For two weeks I've been either driving an office chair or the livingroom sofa. No time was spent at the gym. And for the past week there has been a good amount of beer and wine consumed and too...sucking on a birthday cake. It ain't pretty.

Today's ride I was off the back for most of the 35 miles, weezing and huffing and puffing this lard butt over every hill and dale.

I hate the reconditioning aspect of this sport. I really do.

stevep
02-11-2007, 04:45 PM
For two weeks I've been either driving an office chair or the livingroom sofa. No time was spent at the gym. And for the past week there has been a good amount of beer and wine consumed and too...sucking on a birthday cake. It ain't pretty.

Today's ride I was off the back for most of the 35 miles, weezing and huffing and puffing this lard butt over every hill and dale.

I hate the reconditioning aspect of this sport. I really do.

kevan,
you need a new bike. its the bike that stinks, not you. trust me i sell bike shiite.
simple

Kevan
02-11-2007, 04:51 PM
kevan,
you need a new bike. its the bike that stinks, not you. trust me i sell bike shiite.
simple

but I found out a couple of the guys were playing a joke on me and tied a stretch of rope with a cinder block wrapped to the end to my bike's brake bridge.

Boy, those guys are funny.

jharsha
02-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Luckily I don't have the weather limitations that most of you deal with. Here in Tucson we just have to deal with visiting pro's. Today I was just crusing up one of the climbs here (Mt Lemmon), feeling comfortable at 8-10mph when I hear a rider approaching from behind. As he passes at supersonic speed he says good morning and continues on up the road (approx 10-12% at that point) at about 20mph. GO Tommy D!!. The new Discovery kit looks pretty good too!

atmo
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
i did an art ride -
50 miles mid day followed by a trip to see pan's labyrinth. it was
kinda' cool, but i couldn't figure out which character judy densch
was. i mean - isn't she in every foreign film atmo?

BumbleBeeDave
02-11-2007, 07:38 PM
You know that Heather has spin classes five nights a week at the store. Thursday night Veggie Girl teaches and the second half of the class is "clothing optional!" . . . Aye, Carumba!

Don't deny knowing--You're at the top of her e-mail list! :no:

BBD

Jack Brunk
02-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Tom Byrnes, Blastinbob and myself rode the Palm Springs century yesterday. temps in the low seventies with very little wind. We met GuyIntense during the last third of the ride so it was nice to meet another forumite. Overall it was a great day. We saw a lot of Serotta's on the ride.
2 hour hike today as I will have a mt. Whitney date sometime during the summer.

Jack

swoop
02-11-2007, 07:59 PM
i rode around in circles.

Jack Brunk
02-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Hey Swoop, there were a lot of teams in Palm Springs on Saturday. Didn't see any Helens Seven race bikes though. Did see a lot of spining gears people wearing Helens jerseys.

Jack

BumbleBeeDave
02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
. . . for the first time in 10 years. I managed to fall down only a couple--Oh, all RIGHT!--3.5 times. It's only half a fall if you only go down on your knees.

Here's what I wore . . . what a surprise! :eek:

BBD

swoop
02-11-2007, 08:34 PM
i'm the only helens/seven dude ... my gift to myself was a year without team mates! i was up here riding around palos verde....
was it raining down there?
stealing other peoples lead outs is much better than watching your own guys implode.

stevep
02-11-2007, 09:00 PM
i rode around in circles.

crit?
you see knox?
s

swoop
02-11-2007, 09:12 PM
crit?
you see knox?
s

saw him last weekend at 'mothballs' in sb. said hi... but just in passing (i was talking to gregg stern who ride for him last year at the time). holy moly he's built a team full of scary dudes.

i was talking to john walsh today... he had his new team time and was looking like he just tok a bubble bath with a dozen supermodels. chris walker is in his late 40's and got 14th at a tough road race filled with toyota, health-net, and successful living the week before.
knox knows who the harda$$es are.....
have your boys started yet?

Tom
02-12-2007, 05:11 AM
Time to value ratio just isn't there. I'd rather contemplate the cinder blocks in my cellar wall.

stevep
02-12-2007, 05:47 AM
saw him last weekend at 'mothballs' in sb. said hi... but just in passing (i was talking to gregg stern who ride for him last year at the time). holy moly he's built a team full of scary dudes.

i was talking to john walsh today... he had his new team time and was looking like he just tok a bubble bath with a dozen supermodels. chris walker is in his late 40's and got 14th at a tough road race filled with toyota, health-net, and successful living the week before.
knox knows who the harda$$es are.....
have your boys started yet?

knox loves walker... good finisher for sure.
were in winter mode.
first big race is tour of virginia.. nrc 7 days in the mts. mid april.
tough race. very, very hilly...won some $$ there last year.
focus for the gabrones is fitchburg and nationals... so they're still skiing.
soon enough.

BumbleBeeDave
02-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Time to value ratio just isn't there. I'd rather contemplate the cinder blocks in my cellar wall.

I blew 970 calories in an hour Thursday night. Av. HR 163 . . . If Heather or Veggie Girl are teaching, you WILL get a good workout . . .

BBD

Tom
02-12-2007, 07:47 AM
I blew 970 calories in an hour Thursday night. Av. HR 163 . . . If Heather or Veggie Girl are teaching, you WILL get a good workout . . .

BBD

All I got to do is walk downstairs, and I control the music. Time and mood management, eh?

How many hours a week you putting in right now? My scheme at the moment is about 7 hours, two thirds of it at HR about 135-140 and two days where I warm up and then do intervals working up to some red line stretches. Some leg speed drills, some one leg drills with my right leg to try and teach it to do its share, some standing. I probably should start picking up the intensity but at this point I can see the other side of the bridge so I am not desperate to.

Trainers are basically for your mental training. They're like Nautilus or Cybex machines. You can work muscles in isolation but you don't learn how to pick things up. The road is where you learn how to move. My arms are as tired as my legs today because I hadn't been outdoors in a month.

Hardlyrob
02-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Based on a thread SteveP had a few weeks ago on MTB riding in the winter, I bought a beater MTB on Sat. Trek Singletrack from prolly 1993.

Took it out for an hour and a half yesterday on trails in a nature preserve near my house. Had a blast! Like BBD I only fell 3.5 times. I did manage to break both plastic toe clips though - can you tell I'm a MTB rookie?. Riding on ice is interesting.

Definetely beats the trainer in the garage. I think this is an oncoming weekend tradition when there's enough light.

Cheers!

Rob

55/Rad
02-12-2007, 09:32 AM
I stared at my bikes - all dusty and tearful.

thwart
02-12-2007, 09:32 AM
My ride yesterday was my first in 2 1/2 wks---no outdoor riding when the chill factor is below zero. Yesterday was 21 degrees with a chill factor of 5 ABOVE. Woo Hoo! This is my second year of road riding after being away for about 20 years, and I didn't do any winter riding last year, so this is all new stuff to me.

16 mile hilly loop, took me almost an hour... and 10 minutes to give the bike a warm water bath to get rid of the salt afterwards.

I was probably 10 miles into it before I felt natural (well, as natural as a klutz like me can feel) on the bike. The trainer just does not reproduce that very well. Maybe this roller thing is the answer...

Got about twice the amount of endorphins as I do from a 90 min ride on the trainer. Maybe three times as much...

stevep
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Based on a thread SteveP had a few weeks ago on MTB riding in the winter, I bought a beater MTB on Sat. Trek Singletrack from prolly 1993.

Took it out for an hour and a half yesterday on trails in a nature preserve near my house. Had a blast! Like BBD I only fell 3.5 times. I did manage to break both plastic toe clips though - can you tell I'm a MTB rookie?. Riding on ice is interesting.

Definetely beats the trainer in the garage. I think this is an oncoming weekend tradition when there's enough light.

Cheers!

Rob

bradley palmer
georgetown state forest by way of linebrook rd
bald hill in boxford.

all great atb riding from your door.

s

davids
02-12-2007, 02:56 PM

Cheers!

RobPlastic toe clips? Riding on ice? You need these:

http://www.cyclecomponents.com/images/artiklar/SHPDM520SI.jpg http://chainwheeldrive.com/merchant/216/images/site/spec_sh_spt_mtb_blk_06_m.jpg
http://www.gazzatyres.com/image/front%20pic.jpg

I don't know how I'd cope with winter without 'em. Welcome to the club!

Hardlyrob
02-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks Steve - I'll hit some of those this weekend. I was in the nature preserve in Boxford, that's past my house, under 95 and right about 2 miles. Don't know what road that is - headed towards Boxford center. I think I saw you ride by on Saturday - no? Lots of CCB'ers in Topsfiled looking none too happy on Saturday morning.

Davids - that's WAY more than I'm investing in a $150 bike! sheesh - the tires alone must be more than $15 each! Buying fat tubes as spares was a struggle in itself - can't I just stick a tubular on those rims?

Cheers!

Rob

davids
02-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Rob,

Try these:

http://www.midstatesbolt.com/Web_Images/f_screws.jpg

FYI, they go through the tire, not the tube...

Hardlyrob
02-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Thanks Davids!

That's a suitably low tech answer to this problem.

Thanks also for the guidance on clinchers. I just don't understand why they have to make these things so complicated - I mean a tubular, a little glue, some air and you're good to go. Now I have these tube thingy's it takes tools to get the tire off, I have to be careful to not put screws through the tube and the tire. It's just exhausting. I'm sure someone makes a wide, knobby tubular for MTB's - no? :D

Rob

Elmer
02-14-2007, 09:21 AM
....they work great.
http://www.interfastgroup.com/Images_U/4172003111802PMsheet-metal-2.jpg