PDA

View Full Version : WOOT!!! New Serotta - need help!

Dekonick
05-21-2004, 12:19 PM
Just got the OK after BIG discussion to buy a Serotta - but frame only. My wife is PISSED but she is 'kinda' ok with it so I am gonna take the plunge.

I need a little help-

I am going to take my Campy Veloce from my Bianchi and strip the groupo and wheels and move them to the frame. Its not ideal, but it gets the frame on the road. Its a 1997 group.

What I would need to do is buy a fork. Need a little advice here - I can get a threaded fork or go threadless. I have no exp in this area and am looking for a good place to buy a headset and fork combo (perhaps I can even buy one from Serotta - I dont know.)

What size should I get for a 56 cm frame? (obviously 700c wheels...)

Option 2 would be to take my Colorado CR with ultegra 600 and move it all to the new frame, move the campy to the old colorado CR.

Or does anyone know where I can get an inexpensive groupo? It doesnt need to be 9 or 10 spd, just decent price. I can probably get it all mounted by the LBS or do it myself (I have most of the tools - just have never done it b4)

Advice? :banana: :beer: :banana:

alembical
05-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Not to be of much help, but all I can say is that it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. What frame are you getting? My thinking is Legend, Ottrot, other Ti frames, go with the threadless (likley 1 1/8 but depends on size of frame you are getting). You can pick up an inexpensive carbon fork, just check classifieds here as an example.

If CSI, or steel frame, the threaded steel fork looks great, and supposingly rides great. I say supposingly because 95% of my miles in the past 4 years have been on one of 2 bikes, both with Steel forks, so it is what I use as the benchmark.

Groupos can also be picked up for cheap. Especially the older 8 & 9 speeds as everyone now wants the 10 speeds. It would be a shame to have a good frame with any parts on it, and both of your other frames deserve some riding time.

Alembical

Dekonick
05-21-2004, 01:08 PM
OK great! thanks for the information. I just bought a new Serotta 56cm Hors Categorie! I am extremely excited - but now I have to build it up.

Anyone know some good websites to get parts? I will recycle some from my other bikes, but if it isnt too hard on the wallet I will just get a full groupo.

I will post pics when its all done!

Come to think of it, I should post pics of my present Serotta snd Bianchi. - nothing special as they are all stock except a few mnor changes.

alembical
05-21-2004, 01:15 PM
With an Hors, I would go threadless with a nice carbon fork. Is it a 1 inch or 1 1/8? Were all hors 1"?

Alembical

P.S. Congratulations

Spinner
05-21-2004, 01:16 PM
check out www.gvhbikes.com for some aggressive deals.

djg
05-21-2004, 01:17 PM
if you want to go threadless:

The Kestrel EMS Pro fork (which Serotta specs on the fierte and offers on others) is a pretty good fork for a very nice price. Not the lightest, but it handles well and can be had for about a hundred and a quarter brand spanking new.

The Reynolds Ouzo Comp is a nice fork--same as the Ouzo Pro except that the latter has a CF steerer and the former does not. Chucks Bikes had some for about the same price as the kestrel above. Lots of folks sell them for just a bit more.

Componenets generally: totalcycling used to be a bargain before exchange rates took off--they're still a good deal on many things; just not as good a deal as before. Texas cycslesport often has decent group/component prices. Ital-tecno. IMO, there's not a darn thing wrong with moving the Veloce components onto the Serotta frame--they will indeed work just fine and your ride quality largely will be determined by your fit, frame, and wheels (and tires/pressure), not by the parts. Zinn's book is handy if you want to try the build yourself.

alembical
05-21-2004, 01:23 PM
I agree with the comment about the Veloce parts. I still use mostly Daytona on my CSI. The only thing wrong about using the Veloce parts means that you have an unrideable frame. While the Hors will likely get most of your time, variety is still nice.

Alembical

Serotta PETE
05-21-2004, 01:29 PM
To the best of my knowledge all DKS/Hors were 1 inch. Smiley or Spokes are DKS/Hors speicalist.

Components are personal choice. Anything 8 speed should be VERY cheap. Ultegra is coming out with 10 speed, so there should be some "blowouts" on older 9. Even 105 works well is on a tight budget. Centaur for Campy works also.

FORKS - this is where I would spend the $$s. Kestrel, Ouzo work. you need to make sure of what rake you need for fork and then see who offers it.

With serial # in hand, call or send note to Serotta to see if they can tell you fames specs and what fork rake you need. Then pick fork. Be very leary of used forks, unless you know the history. (You do not want any wobbles while riding or breaking)

Also if you post your fork needs on Forum, you might get someone who has an extra one for sale.

Too Tall
05-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Shimano 105 is still a raceable and worthy grouppo. You could walk away for next to nuttin' and all new goods.

But the more important issue is what piece of jewelry will make your wife smile.

Blastinbob
05-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I have a pearl white threaded F1 that I would be willing to sell, if your interested, it's in excellent shape, it came off of my 56cm legend. I also have a couple record10 cranksets , 2 chorus bb's , record front de, chorus re. de, if you need any of them.

Bob

Ken Robb
05-21-2004, 02:30 PM
I swapped an Ouzo Pro (all carbon) for Ouzo Comp (alloy steerer) to get an uncut steerer to raise my bars. I could not feel any difference in ride or handling. It was slightly heavier. Our CSi has F1 threaded and it rides great. You should probably buy the used one offered here as it was designed for bikes like yours. The only drawbacks: It's heavy for a carbon fork and it will not accept a tire bigger than 700x25mm. The tire will hit the bottom of the fork crotch. I don't care about the weight and it handles very well. I would run 27 or 28mm tires if I could but that's the price we pay for "racy" parts.

Dekonick
05-21-2004, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all of the help!

The store tossed in a brand new Serotta 02 fork with a small paint chip for 300 bucks. I got the whole pkg - Hors Categorie, and 02 fork (its still uncut!) for a total of 2341! shipped to my house in Maryland from Texas. That really makes my day! Ill post pics when I have it built up. Its gonna look odd with Veloce, but hey - I cant complain as I can upgrade the rest slowly!

I really need to get the wife some flowers and a nice bauble.

Again - thanks everyone!!! :D

alembical
05-21-2004, 05:27 PM
nothing odd at all with look of Veloce. Nice and simple, just not real flashy, but then again it is not needed. It will look great with the hors, and more importantly (as you are already aware) it will function flawlessly.

Congratulations again and hope you are on it soon.

Alembical

Jeff N.
05-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Headset: Chris King. Period. 1 1/8", of course.
Fork: Kestrel EMS Pro. A great performing fork at a great price. I have one on my Moots Vamoots and Legend Ti (both forks custom finished by Joe Bell with matching logo decals "buried" under clear coat. Way trick.) and have been extremely pleased. But they are a bit heavier than other options because of the alloy steerer. But I feel safer with an alloy steerer anyway, so I'll take the weight penalty.
The Ouzo Comp, although made in Taiwan, is also a fine performer.Check E-BAY for all of the above....save a bundle. Jeff N.

Smiley
05-21-2004, 09:10 PM
welcome to the Hors Club . I am sure you'll be really happy :banana:

Dekonick
05-21-2004, 09:32 PM
:banana: :banana:

It will have to wait a year or so before it gets a good set of wheels - and Ill just move the veloce group over for now. - mmm guess I could buy a veloce 10 speed rear derailer and brake lever, that shouldnt break the bank. - the rest should be compatible?

:beer:

TmcDet
05-21-2004, 09:50 PM
I saw a 56 hors @ RBM about a month ago...was too small for me though

Dekonick
05-21-2004, 10:15 PM
RBM in texas?

I think thats the one. I still cant believe I am bying a frame sight unseen - but I know it fits.

TmcDet
05-21-2004, 11:26 PM
yes RBM is in Tx...it is Richardson Bike Mart....don't worry you will love the frame, I was disappointed that it was a 56 when I saw it, that is just too small for me

Dekonick
05-21-2004, 11:46 PM
:) I have been looking at the legends and HC's for awhile - just noticed yesterday that the HC was no longer made! (How I missed that I dont know!)

I have been looking for one for awhile - well more like drooling. Finally when I saw the 56 on Serotta's 'demo's + deals' page, I convinced my wife to let me get it. That was a HARD sell. She is pissed and will be for awhile - but the frame should last me a long time.

Cant wait to get it - too bad I have to build it up with an 8 speed group - but that can be upgraded easily enough in the future. :D

bcm119
05-21-2004, 11:52 PM
The beauty of your situation is that your Hors will far outlast your wife's grudge, so eventually you will have your new toy AND a happy wife. Just don't pay too much attention to it in the beginning.

shinomaster
05-22-2004, 12:24 PM
I'd get an older easton carbon fork from performance on sale for $100..

BigMac
05-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Dekonick:

While I applaud your good fortune in obtaining an NOS gem like the Hors Cat, I would caution you in fork choice. If its really of the Hors Cat vintage and not of the later renamed Legend DKS vintage, I think it is fair to assume the subject frame is intended for the Serotta F1 fork. If so, this can pose a BIG problem in fork choice. The F1 has a dropout to fork crown dimension of approximately 368-370mm, I do not know the exact dimension I have seen differing published figures of both numbers. Yes, I have an F1 and mine appears to measure 369mm, go figure. The problem is that the 'modern' defacto "standard" for off-the-peg plastic forks appears to be 375mm, at least per Reynolds and TT(aka AlphaQ). The end result is installing an Alpha Q, Reynolds or similar 375mm fork on a frame designed for shorter F1 will result in raised front-end, slacker angles and longer trail. Now perhaps some of this can be addressed by using a 50mm rake fork to shorten trail but this seems like a compromise in other departments, particularly if the stock frame is a proper fit, per angles and such.

What should you do? First and foremost, call Serotta to determine if original frame was intended for F1 fork. Note: if HT is 1.125" dia., it is VERY likely a Legend DKS intended for 375mm fork. Perhaps somebody better versed than I in Serotta-speak can confirm the EXACT dropout-crown dimension, Captain Smiley and/or David Kirk could likely help here. If frame is indeed designed for F1 fork, I'd consider having a custom steel fork brazed up with appropriate 43mm rake or search classifieds for F1's although that seems a bit more dicey unless you really know the seller and the true history of the fork in question. Just my $.02, but putting together a bike with a fork that was not intended for its design seems like an unacceptable compromise. That frame is so legendary and special, it really deserves a proper fine fork to deliver all it is intended.

BTW: Components, schemponents, THEY DO NOT MATTER ONE IOTA! If your 8 speed drivetrain is still servicable, stick with'em, the new stuff will not make you even a fraction of a second faster. Think of it from another perspective, you're not only saving a huge amount of $$'s, you're also saving from further contributing to our growing landfill problems. Recycle those components and just ride.

Ride on! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Smiley
05-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I just made this switch from an Old F1 to a new Ouzo Pro and I talked to Kelly and Thomo at Reynolds about it and both told me even though the span was off between the Reynolds and the F1 by like 4-6 mm that I would not notice it. The big thing that I noticed is the weight and the front seems to be a tad faster but not so much that I can attribute this to the span difference or the front weight of the bike. I too thought that maybe I should have chose a SHORTER rake fork to compensate for this but in the end I'd say stick with a 43 mm rake and for heavens sake don't go to the higher span fork like an Alpha Q . Alpha Q is even taller than the Ouzo Pro , go figure. Thanks Big Mac .

Dekonick
05-22-2004, 04:27 PM
Well - the frame is being shipped with an 02 fork - RBS said it is for the frame and that he would take it back if I didnt like it. Ill contact Serotta and see what they can tell me. In the mean time... I am sooo darned excited I just can barely wait!

It was listed on Serotta's site as a Demo/deal - and RBS said when Ben Serotta came down a few weeks ago he asked why it had been broken down(the frame) and said they were highly desired. He put on Serotta's site - and 2 weeks later its on the way to myhouse!

Smiley
05-22-2004, 07:04 PM
the O2 fork will work well with the farme. I don't think they will tell you otherwise anyway as the only replacement fork to the F1 is the O2 or Ouzo Pro

Dekonick
05-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Cool. It should arrive the middle of next week. I wont get a change to build it up until a week or so after that as my father is scheduled to have Heart surg. on wed. - (not worried, he is in good hands) If all goes well with my dad, I should be able to post pics in a couple of weeks. Ill post pics with the old Colorado next to the HC. I cant wait! -

Wonder how hard its gonna be to match my Colorado CR setup to the HC - I assume they should have extremely close geometry -

Dek.

Again thanks for all of the advice! Hopefully this will encourage me to get in better shape so Ill be able to ride with some of yall in the near future. (I wouldnt do it now as I would slow down any group rides - working on building a good base after several years off of da bike cuz of house additions etc...)