PDA

View Full Version : Breathing cold air...

A.L.Breguet
02-10-2007, 05:45 PM
:confused: Maybe it's the cabin fever, or the aging process, but I have a theory about winter training that I'd like some of you trainer, coach, and scientist types to weigh in on.

:confused: Doesn't sucking frigid air reduce O2 uptake? If so, then sub-freezing temperatures would have a somewhat similar effect to altitude training.
How bout being just plain cold, which reduces circulation to the extremeties.
Let me know if I'm completely off the mark on this.

Thanks

CNY rider
02-10-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm no exercise physiologist (and I don't even play one on TV!) but I do know that many people will have some airway reactivity when they breathe in very cold air. That is, they will have some constriction of their breathing tubes which limits the amount of air they can move in and out. A similar process is at work during an asthma attack.

manet
02-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Doesn't sucking frigid air reduce O2 uptake? If so, then sub-freezing temperatures would have a somewhat similar effect to altitude training.

Thanks

try sleeping outside

chuckred
02-10-2007, 11:11 PM
:confused: Maybe it's the cabin fever, or the aging process, but I have a theory about winter training that I'd like some of you trainer, coach, and scientist types to weigh in on.

:confused: Doesn't sucking frigid air reduce O2 uptake? If so, then sub-freezing temperatures would have a somewhat similar effect to altitude training.
How bout being just plain cold, which reduces circulation to the extremeties.
Let me know if I'm completely off the mark on this.

Thanks

You're right - cabin fever....

A.L.Breguet
02-11-2007, 05:04 AM
try sleeping outside

The funny thing is, Mrs. Breguet's been saying the same thing. Hmmmm.

Kevan
02-11-2007, 04:47 PM
on the climbs, there was absolutely no oxygen in the air. That's a scientific fact.

A.L.Breguet
02-11-2007, 07:31 PM
on the climbs, there was absolutely no oxygen in the air. That's a scientific fact.
See, that's exactly what I'm talking about!

Ginger
02-11-2007, 08:18 PM
The funny thing is, Mrs. Breguet's been saying the same thing. Hmmmm.
It's a plot.

jhcakilmer
02-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Sorry, cold air isn't enviromental EPO.....

The benefits you feel are probably from the fact that because it's so cold, your body has to work harder, since it has to keep warm also.

Unless your near freezing to death, you core body temp shouldn't drop much, it acutally should be pretty high. Therefore your circulation should drop that much.

Also, I actually think that O2 content is higher in cold air, then in warm. Unlike moisture which is lower in cold air.......so you might becoming dehydrated easier.

The cold air does constrict you brochials, and aveoli, but that's probably not significant, unless you have asthma or COPD......then it's bad!

A.L.Breguet
02-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Sorry, cold air isn't enviromental EPO.....

The benefits you feel are probably from the fact that because it's so cold, your body has to work harder, since it has to keep warm also.

Unless your near freezing to death, you core body temp shouldn't drop much, it acutally should be pretty high. Therefore your circulation should drop that much.

Also, I actually think that O2 content is higher in cold air, then in warm. Unlike moisture which is lower in cold air.......so you might becoming dehydrated easier.

The cold air does constrict you brochials, and aveoli, but that's probably not significant, unless you have asthma or COPD......then it's bad!
Thanks!