PDA

View Full Version : Alloy wheels forever...

catulle
02-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Earlier today I went for a ride on roads that are poorly kept and heavy with traffic. Approaching a narrow bridge the typical cockroach passed me only a few inches from my left leg with the intention of beating me to the bridge. I was going some 25kmp and had no choice but to fall right on a pretty deep hole covered with some loose sand (so the hole was somewhat disguised). The front wheel hit the edge of the hole, the wheel kind of dipped in the sand, and bounced back on the road. My arms, of course, felt like they'd broken or something but I didn't fall.

For a fraction of a second I thought about how much my arms hurt, but my eyes went after the front wheel looking for damage. Zero. Nothing. The Veloflex tubular as if nothing had happened, as well as the Reflex rim. These are 32 holes wheels made by Ergott. If had been riding carbon wheels, I'd probably still be trying to lift myself up from the road. It was so cool to see my front wheel intact that I just hit the pedals and forgot the pain in my arms. Shoes must be made out of leather, wheels must be made out of alloy, atmo...

Serotta PETE
02-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Glad that you are ok......

PETE

obtuse
02-10-2007, 10:20 AM
If had been riding carbon wheels, I'd probably still be trying to lift myself up from the road.

catulle-
what makes you think that? there are a number of carbon fiber wheels that exhibit exceptional impact resistence meeting or exceeding the best alloy wheels out there.

obtuse

shinomaster
02-10-2007, 11:52 AM
The bozo owner of a shop I used to go to, told me that Campy Bora wheels would be destroyed in a cross race when I told him the decals matched my bike and they would look swell on my mp Fuji.

catulle
02-10-2007, 12:20 PM
catulle-
what makes you think that? there are a number of carbon fiber wheels that exhibit exceptional impact resistence meeting or exceeding the best alloy wheels out there.

obtuse

You're right. I really don't know. I wrote the post above right after stepping off the bicycle. As always, though, this is another learning experience at the SF: It is good to know that at least some carbon wheels are as impact resistant or more than an alloy wheels can be. Thank you for setting the record straight. Master, how do I find enlightenment? The Yellow Book, of course.

ergott
02-10-2007, 01:02 PM
When they do go (and there are road conditions that can break any wheel), I'd rather replace a rim that is 1/10 the cost.

-Eric

nobrakes
02-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Get some Black Flag for the cockroach problem...

david
02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
tv party tonight.

atmo
02-10-2007, 04:44 PM
isthmus be catulle's lucky day atmo.

csm
02-10-2007, 06:00 PM
we've got
nothing better to do
than watch tv
and have a couple of brews