PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Alta Race Wheels on Sale

rpm
02-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Anybody have any updated thoughts on Reynolds Alta Race Wheels. Nashbar has them on sale for $200 a pair.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=18745&storetype=estore&estoreid=806&pagename=Estore%3A%20Road%20Bike%20Component%20Cle arance

coylifut
02-09-2007, 09:47 AM
my thought is Reynolds makes really good stuff and $200 is a low risk way to find out for yourself. I'd by em.

Skrawny
02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
I have them on my "other" bike. I have not ridden many miles on them, but my first impression is that I like 'em!

Worth the price!
-s

Ken Robb
02-09-2007, 11:44 AM
the email announcement that I got from Nashbar today also has a "click to get 10% off coupon" icon too so' $180+ shipping for a $600-650 retail wheelset. They must be discontinued. I was curious enough to find mostly positive reviews at Roadbike review.com

I already have one new extra set of Shimano wheels; too bad they don't have Campy-compatible on sale.

rpm
02-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks, guys. I ordered them. I've always been a 32 spoke open pro sort of guy, so this is my first venture into low-spoke count wheels. I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about.

Ken Robb
02-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Thanks, guys. I ordered them. I've always been a 32 spoke open pro sort of guy, so this is my first venture into low-spoke count wheels. I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about.

Me too. I sold the fancy Ksyriums that came on my Legend because they were too easily pushed around in crosswinds. Interestingly I just built the Kirk with the gruppo that came on my CSI and that includes Spinergy SR3 aero wheels which are largely unaffected by those same crosswinds. The difference seems to be round versu blade spokes. On my Satuday ride I was fastest downhill and I'm sure it had little to do with my 200 pounds. :beer:

Wayne77
02-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I've got a set of these as well. Very nice and an excellent deal at this price. Later versions have a nicer understated logo - not the bronze logo of the first iteration. Compared to a set of Bontrager Race X lites I have on my Klein, they are just as light, about as stiff laterally (as far as I can tell) and have a slightly louder rear hub. They seem to roll pretty smoothly. I switch between these and some handbuilts (DT SWISS rims, speedcific hubs) on my Councours and I think the silvery-ness complements the ti-color nicely.

I've seen em a few other places on the inter-web for around $300 - even at that price, it's a good value. The updated version is called the "Solitude" - looks pretty much the same, though I don't know if they have hit the stores yet.

http://www.reynoldscomposites.com/products_wheels_solitude.html

rpm
02-13-2007, 01:50 PM
So I went ahead and ordered the wheelset right after I posted this thread on Friday. Order goes through. All is confirmed. Cool, I'm getting a good wheelset at a price that seems too good to be true.

It was. Today, four days later, I get this e-mail from "Jill" in Nashbar customer service:

"Thank you for your recent order; it is currently being held because the Reynolds Wheelset you requested is no longer available. Please contact us if you would like to substitute for a different item. Your order will be shipped with the available items if a response is not received within 48 hours."

I sent back a pointed e-mail asking why they let the order go through if they didn't have it in stock, and why it took them four days to tell me there was a problem. How annoying. Trashbar indeed!

ergott
02-13-2007, 02:03 PM
I got a catalogue a while back that said they were selling tubular Campy Shamals (they older black ones) for like $300. I would have bought at least one set as these wheels go for more than double that. Of course when I called (the same day I got the catalogue) them it was long gone.

Skrawny
02-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Sounds like the 'ole Bait & Switch technique!

"we're all out of those wheels that we were offering, but now that you're here, you might be interested in ..."

-s

rpm
02-13-2007, 02:12 PM
I got a catalogue a while back that said they were selling tubular Campy Shamals (they older black ones) for like $300. I would have bought at least one set as these wheels go for more than double that. Of course when I called (the same day I got the catalogue) them it was long gone.

Eric--

Lesson learned. Next time (maybe soon) I'll call you!

Ron