PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber Comes to Wal-Mart

bozman
02-08-2007, 06:36 PM
I apologize in advance if this has already been posted and discussed...

From RoadBikeRider:

Attention shoppers: The world's largest retailer will begin selling a $580 aluminum bike with a carbon fork and seatstays this month, reports the Feb. 1 issue of the trade magazine Bicycle Retailer & Industry News.

The "GMC Denali Limited," made by Kent, will also feature Shimano Sora components with STI brake/shift levers. It's said to be the highest quality bike ever carried by Wal-Mart and will be offered in select stores and on wal-mart.com.

News of this bike and Wal-Mart's launch of a "bike boutique" concept department is "shaking up the market," according to BRAIN.

Although Kent makes the Denali Limited in three sizes, Wal-Mart apparently will carry just one. The bike has 50/38-tooth chainrings, an 8-speed 12-23 cassette and Shimano ST-3300 STI shifters. It's said the levers alone retail for $120, or 20% of the bike's price.

ejh
02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
It does not matter, they could pay me to take and I still would not step one foot in a wally world.
Eric

SoCalSteve
02-08-2007, 07:40 PM
It does not matter, they could pay me to take and I still would not step one foot in a wally world.
Eric

Word! Being a Union dude for the last 27 years, Walmart really and truly sickens me.

But thats a whole other topic/thread/forum..isnt it?

Steve

bozman
02-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I agree with both of you. Wal-Mart has destroyed more small businesses than any other company. They personify corporate greed almost as blatantly as Big Oil.

RIHans
02-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Former Women looking for the largest payout in US history...FYI

m_moses
02-09-2007, 12:14 AM
The world's largest retailer will begin selling a $580 aluminum bike with a carbon fork and seatstays this month

The beginning of the end, perhaps???

ndoshi72c
02-09-2007, 12:30 AM
Wal- Mart evil aside (I don't think Wal Mart is evil btw but I won't shop there because it makes me feel like crap), it's pretty funny how that's not even that great of a value. Any big name like Trek, Giant, KHS, etc. produces an entry level aluminum bike with carbon fork and Sora or better components for within 50-100 of that. Plus you actually get to choose from at least 4 sizes, have the bike mechanically proper, and many times get a year of free adjustments.

A.L.Breguet
02-09-2007, 04:54 AM
Wonder when they'll start up bike repair departments.

LBS look out!

William
02-09-2007, 05:58 AM
I don't shop Wal-Mart but....

Is Wal-mart the new Sears? Seems to me, back in the day, Sears did the same thing to smaller retailers. They sold everything from underwear to house kits. Difference is that they likely used American labor to make the goods. What about Home Depot and Lowes? They are killing off local hardware stores and lumber yards are they not? Admittedly they don't sell low end crap bikes though so I guess that's ok?

William

JohnS
02-09-2007, 07:16 AM
What about Home Depot and Lowes? They are killing off local hardware stores and lumber yards are they not? Admittedly they don't sell low end crap bikes though so I guess that's ok?

WilliamHome Depot is also getting some bad press. Their recently-former CEO drove down the stock price through ineptitude, made many knowledgeable associates part-time so they left and then left with the best golden parachute of all time.

Fixed
02-09-2007, 07:49 AM
sweet bro young racers special next stop local bike shop to have it put together
cheers

chrisroph
02-09-2007, 08:33 AM
I've never seen carbon fiber gas pipe.

sspielman
02-09-2007, 08:54 AM
What is the difference?..It is probably made in the same factory as Scott, Specialized, Giant, Jamis, Anna Nicole Smith, etc., etc......

sailorboy
02-09-2007, 09:00 AM
Jeez, at least let the body get cold first...

55/Rad
02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Is Wal-mart the new Sears? Seems to me, back in the day, Sears did the same thing to smaller retailers. They sold everything from underwear to house kits.
And elixirs mixed with cocaine and morphine. Oh, and they sold heroin too - plus the syringe kit to inject it.

So they not only shut down a lot of small business, they helped create a huge drug problem.

Didn't Walmart just start a $4 prescription program?

55/Rad

Ahneida Ride
02-09-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't shop Wal-Mart but....

Is Wal-mart the new Sears?

William

The frn is the Wal-Mart for the Dollar.

BURCH
02-09-2007, 09:56 AM
What makes me curious about this is that I remember someone posting an article on this forum about how military contracts will be eating up the major supply of Carbon Fiber resources. I think that it was for planes. Anyhow, if that is true...how can Walmart get it so cheaply? It has to be a different quality CF, right?

JohnS
02-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Maybe it's just plastic with a cf weave finish? :D