PDA

View Full Version : New REI Co-op Electric Bikes

ORMojo
09-26-2020, 03:47 PM
I'm just not seeing a compelling case for these new REI Co-Op electric bikes (https://www.rei.com/b/co-op-cycles/c/electric-bikes?ir=brand%3Aco-op-cycles%3Bcategory%3Abikes&r=b%3Bcategory%3Acycling%7Cbikes%7Celectric-bikes). Several other options with more/better features at lower price. Or for a few hundred more, you can get much better specs and much lower weight.

Am I missing something?

peanutgallery
09-26-2020, 04:29 PM
Ok? If price is the main motivator

Shimano motor is an OK. But do you really want REI, or in all reality, the end consumer....assembling that out of the box and setting it up? Kinda like getting an e-bike at Dick's in that. Mixed bag to be found at the workstand

Works for some folks, but probably not all

nmrt
09-26-2020, 04:45 PM
rei assembly Vs assembly at multitudes of my LBS's that have wrenches who has 0.5 hrs of wrench time under their belts...? Hmmmm...who would i pick? ;)

Ok? If price is the main motivator

Shimano motor is an OK. But do you really want REI, or in all reality, the end consumer....assembling that out of the box and setting it up? Kinda like getting an e-bike at Dick's in that. Mixed bag to be found at the workstand

Works for some folks, but probably not all

Monsieur Toast
09-26-2020, 08:03 PM
rei assembly Vs assembly at multitudes of my LBS's that have wrenches who has 0.5 hrs of wrench time under their belts...? Hmmmm...who would i pick? ;)

And I don't know about your LBS, but my REI has a way better returns policy.

peanutgallery
09-26-2020, 11:08 PM
Which REI?
I've seen some pretty craptastic wrenching from the big box stores over the years. The bar is lower there, plus they sell GTs...the lowest

vqdriver
09-26-2020, 11:14 PM
Each will be constrained by the available local workforce but my local REIs wrench are fine. I wouldn't go there for a frame alignment, but I trust them to assemble a bike from a box. Thats likely what they do a big chunk of time actually.

ORMojo
09-26-2020, 11:24 PM
I get the comments about the REI service and return policy. The head (mech) of my local REI bike dept is very good, and a great guy. I've been friends with him for about 15 years.

But setting aside shipping, assembly, returns . . . what about the bikes themselves?

vqdriver
09-27-2020, 02:23 AM
judging by the market, the prices don't seem like they're so outrageous. Im sure if you dig into the specs of the cruiser type ebikes out there you'll find better bargains, but for the type of rider those look to cater to it seems fine. Especially so if you consider that hybrid buyers may be more likely to rely on a shop and their customer support policies